NCL Sun "VAT and/or taxes" on Alcohol?

I contacted my TA about a sailing on the Sun in June. These sailings include open bar. NCL T&Cs state: "Your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries."

My TA responded with this hesitation. Does anyone know anything about this?

"I am a little leary of the statement “Your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries”. I called rez and the agent said they didn’t have any information on this but she did state that when she took this cruise she was charged taxes( a little over a dollar per drink) only on the drinks that she had before they set sail."

Full T&Cs are as follows:

NORWEGIAN SUN FREE OPEN BAR

UNLIMITED BEVERAGE PACKAGE: TERMS & CONDITIONS

Effective for NorwegianSun 3- and 4-Day Bahamas and 4-Day Cuba sailings from Port Canaveral beginningMay 2018, guests will receive complimentary beverages which include designatedspirits, cocktails, bottled beer, draft beer, and wines by the glass and unlimitedfountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great StirrupCay*. Does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions orbeer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottledwine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazzacoffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, souvenir items or winestations. Two (2) beverages per transaction. Your check may reflect applicableVAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries. You must be at least 21years of age to purchase and consume alcohol. See the terms of our guestalcohol policy.

I don't have any firsthand info, but did see here on the boards somewhere that someone said they paid tax on all of their drinks while still docked in Port Canaveral before the cruise left FL so maybe they have to tax you while in US waters but not when out to sea?

Definitely good to know especially if you are on the ship, drinking for 3-4 hours before the ship leaves, lol ... SURPRISE! :o

I don't have any firsthand info, but did see here on the boards somewhere that someone said they paid tax on all of their drinks while still docked in Port Canaveral before the cruise left FL so maybe they have to tax you while in US waters but not when out to sea?

Definitely good to know especially if you are on the ship, drinking for 3-4 hours before the ship leaves, lol ... SURPRISE! :o

I've taken several RC ships out of Port Canaveral, with drink package, and never encountered any taxes on drinks while in port.

Agreed - not something I'd like to be surprised with!

All ships are required to charge the local tax while within the 12 mile limit, if the state or city has a tax. What some lines, and I've heard this a lot about RCI, will do is not ring up drink package purchases until the ship is outside the 12 mile limit. If the tax is added, it is only for drinks purchased within the 12 mile limit. The VAT mention relates to the VAT added on Mediterranean cruises for cruises that start/end in Spain.

All ships are required to charge the local tax while within the 12 mile limit, if the state or city has a tax. What some lines, and I've heard this a lot about RCI, will do is not ring up drink package purchases until the ship is outside the 12 mile limit. If the tax is added, it is only for drinks purchased within the 12 mile limit. The VAT mention relates to the VAT added on Mediterranean cruises for cruises that start/end in Spain.

Ahhh, OK. That makes sense, thank you.