Fight in dining room on Paradise

My wife and I were on the paradise on May 16 when the brawl happened in the dining room....tables were thrown along with chairs and people did get hurt and some detained...We were 20 feet from the flight I have it on video and gave it to security it was vicious and brutal

I was on this cruise and in the dining room when the fight happened. We were not close enough to see what started it but we could certainly hear all the commotion. The dining staff had just finished their goodbye song and were returning to their duties when all the screaming started. We were told later that it was started by two women who disagreed about the curtain being open or closed. Some of the people involved were on the same deck as we were and security was outside their cabin all night. While in line for the customs check the gentleman in front of us said his wife had seen several law enforcement vehicles lined up waiting.Hopefully they were waiting for the participants of the fight. Other than that incident the cruise was awesome. The crew was very attentive and I saw no rowdy behavior and certainly no drunken brawling from any passengers. I would take that cruise again in a heartbeat.

The "table flipped" thingy is what caught my attention as well. I'm quite sure that they are ALL bolted to the floor. It'd take quite a lot to rip one of them off the floor, and flip it over. I too think this is probably either "fake", or blown WAY out of portion...

"SKY".

Sailed on Paradise twice, neither time was my table bolted. I remember because I kept pushing it with my giant stomach.

I was on this cruise and in the dining room when the fight happened. We were not close enough to see what started it but we could certainly hear all the commotion. The dining staff had just finished their goodbye song and were returning to their duties when all the screaming started. We were told later that it was started by two women who disagreed about the curtain being open or closed. Some of the people involved were on the same deck as we were and security was outside their cabin all night. While in line for the customs check the gentleman in front of us said his wife had seen several law enforcement vehicles lined up waiting.Hopefully they were waiting for the participants of the fight. Other than that incident the cruise was awesome. The crew was very attentive and I saw no rowdy behavior and certainly no drunken brawling from any passengers. I would take that cruise again in a heartbeat.

Thank you for weighing in with your first hand insight and relaying what you heard from others there. Welcome Home!

So in their case you think restricting drinks is unreasonable? I'm just trying to figure out your point. Maybe you aren't making one, just trying to educate me. It isn't necessary. I grew up with one of these poor souls you speak of, btw. He was my dad. I don't hate him for the things alcohol gave him the courage to do, nor do I hold a grudge. He was my dad (and a good one when sober) and I loved him. But I will not excuse his behavior because it has a name. Some folks want to get rid of guns. Me, I'd like to get rid of alcohol. And no, it isn't going to happen. But I can dream.

Sorry about your Dad. I did not bring up restricting drinks in my post. My point was a rebuttal to your statement that some just need more discipline when drinking, so maybe some education is in order.. Problem drinkers and alcoholics lose their capacity for discipline as soon as they start imbibing. That's what my post was about. Science backs up my statement, that's why I mentioned the brain scans. Any person knowledgable in addiction and alcohol recovery knows that it is a disease of the brain, not a discipline problem.

Recovery is possible, and sometimes discipline becomes necessary after a person stops drinking for a while and begins to enter a phase of long term recovery, but as I said in my post, discipline for an active problem drinker is about as futile as discipline for a person suffering diarrhea from Noro.

Glad that you have made your own accommodation and recovery from your personal family history. Like you, I don't condone nor excuse alcoholic behavior, and we would probably agree that the problem drinker/alcoholic has to bear the consequences of their behavior.

The good news here is those idiots that were fighting will be banned from sailing on all Carnival Ships (every cruise line owned by CCL) for the rest of their lives. Which in turn means we will never have to sail with these idiots.
That's good news.

Hopefully their names are circulated to RC and NCL etc too so other people don't have their cruises ruined.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

Any official word on the fight from carnival. I know when video of the dream pipe break got out their mods were here to confirm and damage control. But I only see crickets here. I guess carnival cannot have any more bad news on fights. What compensation to the poor souls who wanted an ocean view at dinner who may have been injured. I know the cheerleaders here have cried “first post” and “fake news” or no video = nothing happened.” But where is the carnival response?

Any official word on the fight from carnival. I know when video of the dream pipe break got out their mods were here to confirm and damage control. But I only see crickets here. I guess carnival cannot have any more bad news on fights. What compensation to the poor souls who wanted an ocean view at dinner who may have been injured. I know the cheerleaders here have cried “first post” and “fake news” or no video = nothing happened.” But where is the carnival response?

What exactly are you proposing Carnival should have done differently here. This is in no way Carnival’s fault and from what I have read, they handled the issue as well as it could be handled.

Are they supposed to do a press release saying “some of our customers are irresponsible a-holes”?

I’m not looking to get caught up in somebody else’s fight but I don’t want the intrusions or costs that would come with doing something that may (or likely would not) prevent this from happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There likely won’t be an official response from Carnival unless if the story gets out in the media. If the media hasn’t picked this up by now, it never will unless there is a high-profile lawsuit. Cruise lines get sued all the time, but it generally takes an unusual one (like the recent lawsuit against Celebrity for burned feet) to get the media’s attention.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

Sorry about your Dad. I did not bring up restricting drinks in my post. My point was a rebuttal to your statement that some just need more discipline when drinking, so maybe some education is in order.. Problem drinkers and alcoholics lose their capacity for discipline as soon as they start imbibing. That's what my post was about. Science backs up my statement, that's why I mentioned the brain scans. Any person knowledgable in addiction and alcohol recovery knows that it is a disease of the brain, not a discipline problem.

Recovery is possible, and sometimes discipline becomes necessary after a person stops drinking for a while and begins to enter a phase of long term recovery, but as I said in my post, discipline for an active problem drinker is about as futile as discipline for a person suffering diarrhea from Noro.

Glad that you have made your own accommodation and recovery from your personal family history. Like you, I don't condone nor excuse alcoholic behavior, and we would probably agree that the problem drinker/alcoholic has to bear the consequences of their behavior.

But not every person who drinks too much and acts foolishly is a problem drinker or alcoholic. In those cases self discipline would certainly go a long way in keeping them our of trouble. I was never questioning your statement that alcoholism and problem drinking is a disease, but that it doesn't excuse poor behavior. We seem to agree on that. As a side note, and since you seem to have an interest in the subject, my dad stopped drinking on his own when I was in my late teens (health issues and outward pressure), after having done so for about thirty years. I suppose, according to what I know of the matter, this means he was not a clinical alcoholic. I guess he qualified as a problem drinker, a rather nebulous term. Lord knows he was certainly a problem when he drank. Yes, I have overcome my challenging childhood to a great extent. Thank you. Not all scars completely fade though. Some hang around.