Just off First Royal Caribbean Cruise

PGCRUISERS

I agree things are different when you add in extras. We have been sailing NCL lately due to the FREE drink package and specialty dining. It does come out less expensive than Carnival when factoring in the extras. In my earlier comment, I was really only comparing Carnival and Royal's prices, as that is the subject of this thread. 99% of time, if you check the price for the same week, same port you will find Carnival's base price is cheaper. Some people don't want the extras so Carnival is the best deal for them. Things get more complicated when you start adding extras. Also, Royal doesn't require both adults in a cabin to purchase the drink package, which could save a couple $300-$400. So yes, depending on what you want out of a cruise, Carnival may not always be cheaper (Just most of the time while comparing apples to apples). You can get hundreds off any cruise that sails during hurricane season, or pay hundreds of dollars more for a cruise booked during summer months. With that said, we leave in 12 days on the Horizon and I do know that with that being a new ship, and we have to pay for the drink package, it is more than our NCL Breakaway cruise we took this past spring.

Carnival doesn't do the never ending sales and special pricing that Royal does. So while the base price is often cheaper on Carnival, if you book a certain deal for Royal, it can oftentimes be much cheaper, even for the base price without extras.

For example, because of kids sail free, my Allure trip in October is cheaper than the same cabin type on Glory for the same week. But next year, Magic was quite a bit cheaper than any of the Oasis class ships for the week we are sailing and we decided to give Magic a shot, especially since it's an 8 day, too!

....only comparing Carnival and Royal's prices, as that is the subject of this thread. 99% of time, if you check the price for the same week, same port you will find Carnival's base price is cheaper...

5715b25d6b2ad962e7c52c7274e45f45.jpg

I think your 99% base figure is way off.

Comparing Liberty OTS with Breeze out Galveston, essentially same itinerary, base price is cheaper for every cabin category with RCCL and this holds true throughout the summer. I did a screen shot of one week for reference. And on the site a was looking at they also include tips, a specialty dinner for two if the cabin price is more than $1000pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival doesn't do the never ending sales and special pricing that Royal does. So while the base price is often cheaper on Carnival, if you book a certain deal for Royal, it can oftentimes be much cheaper, even for the base price without extras.

For example, because of kids sail free, my Allure trip in October is cheaper than the same cabin type on Glory for the same week. But next year, Magic was quite a bit cheaper than any of the Oasis class ships for the week we are sailing and we decided to give Magic a shot, especially since it's an 8 day, too!

True, so many factors go into cruise pricing! How old the ship is, if you want drink package, if you have kids sailing with you, what time of year, what specials different lines are offering etc. Sounds like you shop around just like me, trying to get the best deal for your own situation. I'm not loyal to just one cruise line, I'm loyal to my wallet! Happy cruising!

Comparing Liberty OTS with Breeze out Galveston, essentially same itinerary, base price is cheaper for every cabin category with RCCL and this holds true throughout the summer. I did a screen shot of one week for reference. And on the site a was looking at they also include tips, a specialty dinner for two if the cabin price is more than $1000pp.

Liberty is a great ship too. RCCL's Freedom class is my favorite that they have.

I been on 77 cruises so far and RC is better than Carnival. The OP did go on an older ship but that ship blows out all of Carnivals ships. We are also loyal now to RC although I had a $600 credit with Carnival and had to book something out so we will use that cruise in February as a diet cruise after the holidays. Guys Burgers oh not for us we don't eat fast food.

By the way, the Oasis class ships have a candy shop its called Candy Beach.

Sparks1093- You will have a wonderful cruise, I haven't been on that class of ship but you be sure I will down the road.

i just did Allure of the Seas in October after 9 carnival cruises... the only thing I liked better on Allure were the shows and the balcony was a sliding door instead of the door that slams on carnival.

Everything else, I prefer Carnival by far---food choices, pool, ice cream, pizza, room (the closet is too close to bed in Allure--strange set up). Poolside eating and entertainment. The Allure was way too big and spread out and hated the mall stuff

Yes, you will occasionally find better Royal deals, but more times than not, Carnival is typically cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have my 9th Carnival cruise this Oct and 2nd Royal in Jan (also been on DCL once but way too expensive). We did our 1st Royal last Sept. I agree with OP. I like the food on Carnival better also found drink servers to be more prevalent on Carnival. We had to stand in long slow lines at the bars on Royal. I even found the MDR food to be better on Carnival. The cruise lines are very similar but we came off thinking we were just fine sticking with Carnival. I did win bingo on that Royal cruise, like $250. So we walked right over to the future cruise desk and booked the Jan 2019 cruise. Afterwards, we regretted that. So we went ahead and booked Carnival for this Oct as well. I keep hoping Royal sells the Grandeur so we can get out of that cruise.

Edit to say the one better thing we found on Royal...getting on and off the ship was quicker. Carnival is always so backed up, at least the 8 cruises we've been on. Lines up the stairwell to get off the ship in ports. Long slow lines in port when getting back on the ship. Sit and wait in terminal on embarkation day, sometimes less wait than other times but always a wait (we arrive to terminal between 10-11am).

Edited by laumicmah

Very interesting reading here as we have debated Liberty of the Seas/Carnival Breeze often and ended up choosing LOS twice. Did do the Magic New Years Eve several years ago and had a great time. We live in Houston so have departed Galveston on last several cruises. Really thinking about booking Vista for our next Galveston cruise. It hasn't gotten great reviews out of Florida but I think I am ready for another Carnival cruise. I agree the food choices seem much more diverse on Carnival. We are thankful both Carnival and RCCL are committed to Galveston.

Meh. The OP stated the food options, and she/he is correct. The included food choices on Royal are not exciting at all. Cafe Promenade & Sorrentos.. both suck. Johnny Rockets is blah, especially with the price increase. The pizza is doughy and tasteless. MDR is good, and it seems like the Windjammer on certain ships seems to be getting better. It was really good on the Adventure.

Now.. I love RCI, but that does not change the fact that the dining options are limited. What I really love on RCI is the drink package without the alcohol. I love having the specialty coffee's and other choices without having to spend the money on an alcohol package that I will not use.

Agreed! I wish Carnival would get on board with a non alcoholic drink package so I could get my specialty coffee and the hubs could get his soda without having to buy cheers. Because I won’t be doing that. We did that on Oasis in March and got more than our money’s worth! But looks like I’ll be spending $4 a day for coffee on Horizon in Nov. ahhh the struggle...

Very interesting reading here as we have debated Liberty of the Seas/Carnival Breeze often and ended up choosing LOS twice.

We've been mostly Royal Loyals but I have to say, the last cruise we went on (our first on Carnival) was on Breeze out of Galveston and had a blast. Took one couple with us for their first cruise and they loved it as well. honestly we had zero complaints. That being said, our next 2 cruises we have lined up are RCI but definitely want to hit Vista once it relocates to Galveston also. The whole concept of the Havana suites and pool deck sounds awesome and reasonably priced as well.

I'll have to admit, i had always heard all of the typical rubbish about Carnival ships and it's passengers and happy to say it couldn't have been farther from the truth. great people, great times, amazing ship !

Some friends of mine just returned from LOS. They chose LOS over Breeze because not only was LOS less expensive, but RCI had a kids-sail-free promotion this month. This promotion made LOS significantly less expensive. They were prior Carnival cruisers who now swear by RCI.