How does Carnival stack up?

Laurin612

My husband and I have been on 5 cruises, all of them either on now defunct cruise lines (Dolphin & Regency), Royal Caribbean (twice) and Princess (once).

We have two children, ages 4 and 7, and are considering taking another cruise soon. Carnival sounds good, and the price is certainly right, but it seems that everyone we talk to has only negative things to say about it.

Can anyone who has cruised on either Royal Caribbean or Princess tell me how it stacks up? We are mostly concerned about service and quality of food, (which we have heard was pretty bad).

Thanks in advance!

Laurin

I've been on Carnival 3 times, Princess 2 times and Royal Caribbean 2 times. I've had as much fun on Carnival as the other two. I'm looking to book something for 2006 and all three are in the running. Food and service are subjective, but I've never been disappointed with Carnival. Plus, their cabins are larger when you book something comparable to the other two lines.

You will often get bad opinions of Carnival from people who have never even sailed on the line. Just wondering if that was the case with the people you've talked to so far?

Carnival sounds good, and the price is certainly right, but it seems that everyone we talk to has only negative things to say about it.

Hi Laurin. I have only sailed Carnival and the food quaility and service is very very good. I always ask the person who says bad things about Carnival if they have actually sailed Carnival. They usually have not and have only "heard" things. Carnival has an exceptional childrens program and in recent years has worked very hard to be a family oriented line.

I have compared prices and Carnival usually wins by a considerable margin. Plus the people I have met, Passengers and staff are usually very nice.

The shows are Vegas-like, but tamed down a little and the onboard activities are plentiful.

I hope this helps.

See for yourself with the 2005 Porthole Magazine awards

Carnival Awards

BEST VALUE-FOR-THE-MONEY LINE

BEST SHORT-DURATION CRUISE

BEST ONBOARD ACTIVITIES

BEST PARTY LINE

BEST ART AUCTION PROGRAM

BEST COMPUTER FACILITIES

BEST MEDICAL FACILITIES

BEST CHILDREN'S PROGRAMS

BEST ENTERTAINMENT

BEST CARIBBEAN ITINERARIES

BEST MEXICAN RIVIERA ITINERARIES

Royal Caribbean Awards

BEST ADVENTURE CRUISE LINE

MOST ECO-FRIENDLY CRUISE LINE

BEST ONBOARD SHOPPING

Here's another award they received so they must be something right huh

CARNIVAL’S TRAINING PROGRAMS RECOGNIZED FOR EXCELLENCE

Company Earns First Place for ‘Best Mature Corporate University,’ First Place Runner-Up for ‘Most Innovative Industry Resource’ at Annual CUBIC Awards

Here's another award they received so they must be something right huh

CARNIVAL’S TRAINING PROGRAMS RECOGNIZED FOR EXCELLENCE

Company Earns First Place for ‘Best Mature Corporate University,’ First Place Runner-Up for ‘Most Innovative Industry Resource’ at Annual CUBIC Awards

I haven't been on Carnival yet, but from everything I have heard it will be great. Having said that I expect good quality food, but not gourmet (that is OK if that is your expectation). If I can find a quiet place the rest will be fine.

I alos am not thrilled about the cabin aminities, but I have been spoiled on Sea Dream, so I guess I'll take my own.

I have looked at drink prices and they are comparable to those at any on shore resort, if not a bit better.

I have only heard good things about the childrens activities.

So bottom line IMO, go expecting to have a clean comfortable cabin, with good quality (not gourmet) food, plenty of activities and a good childrens club and you will enjoy yourself.

Been on RCI and Carnival. I give the nod to RCI. The level of service on RCI is better than anything that I have ever received on Carnival. Your kids will love the Voyager class ships. There is nothing out there that even comes close. The food is about even but I like having the option for ordering a hot breakfast from room service. Carnival does not have this. You will get higher opinions here for Carnival and vice versa on the RCI board.

I haven't sailed Carnival - yet - but am considering. I too have heard lots of negative comments, but I think the company has done a good job of trying to overcome an old reputation of being the party boat and not oriented towards families etc. Newer and bigger ships helps in keeping the rowdy, drinking crowd (college age kids who can only afford so much) in line.

This is only my opinion from an outside view and I certainly have nothing against the rowdy, drinking crowd, I've been known to hold my own (although way past the 'college age kid' now). But I just make this statement based on what I think their old reputation was.

Thank you all for your comments so far! Keep 'em coming! The cruise planning excitement is building at my house! :D

Now that my fears seem to be mostly unfounded, I'm specifically interested in hearing opinions on Carnival's kids program vs. Princess' kids program. Our kids LOVED the kids program on the Dawn Princess.

Hi Laurin. Erase your fears about Carnival. My goodness, their ships sail at full capacity, they have the largest cabins in the industry, the food is excellent, in my opinion, and I'm a retired F&B director for hotels, as well as caterer, so I'm a bit picky. I've found nothing in the dining room that wasn't palate-pleasing, and the staff and crew are super-friendly and helpful. The production shows are very well done with talented performers.

I am constantly amazed that folks put Carnival down and have never cruised with the line. Carnival must be doing something right, to be the leading cruise company, (and being able to purchase all those other lines). In case you aren't aware - Carnival Corporation owns Princess, Costa, Holland America, Cunard, Windstar, and Seabourn.

I have sailed on NCL and Princess, but those cruises were years ago. Great cruises, but I enjoy Carnival so much, I'm not even curious about the other lines any longer. The price is always right and the ports-of-call are good.:)

I've been on both Carnival and Princess. We're on Princess again in 2 weeks, heading back to Carnival in 2007 and looking at both of them for Alaska in 2008.

We very much enjoyed both cruise lines. I wouldn't say one line was better than the other, just different. And I don't have anything negative to say about our Carnival experience. There were things on each line we liked better than the other line.

Princess crowd in general seems a little more sedate. There was a bit more of general "buzz" of excitment on Carnival. I've seen drunks on both lines occasionally. But I didn't get the old stereotypical feel that Carnival was just full of "spring breakers."

I found food to be comparable on both lines. I've not done traditional dining on Princess yet, but that's all there is on Carnival. The waiters did a little song and dance routine during dinner on Carnival. It was fun. If you're looking for a very formal, "stuffy" dining experience you may not get that. Dining room staff on Carnival was much more attentive and friendly, but that may be because it was traditional dining.

As for service in general... we're not very demanding people. I didn't notice any difference in service between the two lines. You'll have no problem finding bar wait staff on the pool decks with Carnival. Princess I've had to wait quite a while for a bar waiter to make rounds. Pursers Desks - I received the same welcoming attitude and smile on both lines. Cabin stewards - same service on both lines. Carnival's cabin stewardess did make a point to introduce herself when we first got to our cabin. I've met one steward on Princess but it wasn't because he came around introducing himself.

Carnival played up the pool area games more than Princess did.

In my opinion:

Princess pluses - 24 hour pools/hot tubs, hot tubs are HOT (105), Anytime Dining (hate making reservations, but convenient for working around port times), more pool selections (Grand class ships), sliding doors on balconies (Carnival's are a swing door)

Carnival pluses - price, bigger cabins, bigger bathrooms, 24 hour pizza, generally longer hours in ports, main theatre design (couches & tables, not just theatre seating), nightly sushi bar, most comfortable bed I've found on a ship or hotel, military discount

Our kids are older than yours, so I can't speak to anything targeted at the 4-7 year old range like Camp Carnival.

Most our cruise experience has been Princess. We were on Carnival's oldest, smallest ship and we had a great time and we're going back to Carnival again. You said you've been on Royal Caribbean and Princess. I'm sure you saw things you like on each cruise line that were better than the other. But both are enjoyable. Same with Princess vs Carnival.

Done CCL (Victory) AND RCCL (Radiance) and both were nice.

Service on both were great and the food about the same..maybe a nudge towards Carnival..but that varies by week and ship it seems on all lines..

I think there are many other factors other than cruise line to keep in mind..such as age of the ship, time of year (school in session), length of cruise (the short ones seem to be much more party-like), iteneraries

All things considered they're both about the same level..each has small advantages in areas...but the value is definitely at Carnival..

We've sailed on both Carnival and Princess and have enjoyed both. I would say that the level of service as well as the quality of the food was better on Princess than on Carnival. However, if the price is right, Carnival has a great product.

As you'll see below, I have sailed on RC, Princess and Carnival. The reason we sailed on Carnival more in the early years was because of our children. Camp Carnival was wonderful 15 years ago, when my kids were small (they are all adults now).

Even though the kids are all grown and out on their own, we still often times choose Carnival. We like a mixture of ages, partying, relaxing, etc. Carnival just seems to have it all down pat.

I absolutely loved Princess. The food was great and the service was top-notch. However, the age group is much older.

Royal Caribbean is great also, but our kids didn't care for it as much. Mariner of the Seas is a wonderful ship and one of my favorites.

These days, I think it's hard to go wrong on a cruise. Some are better at some things than others, but I've always had a great time.

Greetings...I think it's all about what it is you value in a cruise. My guess is that Carnival or Royal Caribbean will best meet you and your kids' needs. I don't think you'll go wrong with either, I really don't...it should be a blast either way. It should be noted that Carnival has free juices (although somewhat watered down), coffee, tea and ice cream 24 hours a day, and i know kids like juice and ice cream. Princess I believe charges for all that. Last thing...I wouldn't *not* go on Carnival just because you're hearing negative things here and there...like it's been said before...they have a good, solid product. Take care!

We sail on NCL, RCCL, and Carnival and really enjoy different ships on each of these cruiselines.

One of my favorite cruises was aboard RCCL's new ship, Jewel of the Seas last Fall. Jewel has a beautiful solarium with indoor pool that makes you feel warm & tropical from the time you board the ship--great when departing on a cool and dreary day. The glass on the ship makes it absolutely gorgeous. RCCL definetely has the best solariums. They should really be sailing year round from the Northeast with a ship like this.

One of my favorite ships is the NCL Dawn. We will be sailing it again from NY to the eastern caribbean in Jan 2007 and can't wait. It has ten different restaurants from Italian to French and even Mexican and Japanese with different food and decor for those who enjoy a different ambiance each evening and dining at a private table for 2 or with others at a larger table depending on your mood each evening. The Dawn also has a fabulous movie theater with popcorn too. It is the best cruise for those who hate smoke on a ship. I really enjoy the design of the ship. It has the best pool deck I've ever seen on a ship. Great bands on this ship.

I love Carnival ships because they usually have waterslides and fun pool areas for kids, but mostly I love having the quiet pools in the rear of the ship away from all the noise of the main pool where I can relax in a hot tub by myself. Carnival has always had the best pizza on the high seas and great kareoke every night. Other cruiselines only offer kareoke a few nights on a cruise, but Carnival really puts on the best every night of the cruise. I also enjoy the theater productions on Carnival. Most of all, I love that Carnival offers a Military Discount for Vets because my DH is one of them. No other cruiseline has that offer for Veterans. Carnival also has fantastic prices for last minute cruises--especially 4 night cruises out of LA and Miami. It makes cruising affordable for even the tightest budget.

One fun thing about cruising different lines is enjoying the variety of theater productions on each ship. I especially enjoy checking out new ships. For me, variety is the spice of life.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Carnival Triumph 2/18/06

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10/1/06

NCL Dawn 1/18/07

My children have gone on 3 cruises with us and their 4th is in just a few weeks.

Camp Carnival is top notch. I've heard some even say it rivals or beats Disney's!

the counselors are great and my kids just absolutely love everything about Carnival. The water slide alone is worth the price of the cruise! My kids were on it for HOURS.

Carnival also allows the kids to go to dinner with their friends on formal nights. I don't believe other lines do that. The LAST thing our kids wanted to do is dress up for an entire night and follow us around. It's their vacation too and we gave them the choice. (Guess which one they chose?). My wife and I have 2 nice dinners, alone and get to dress up.

We've thought about trying another line, but why mess with perfection? My kids love Carnival and so do my wife and I.

You don't get a better bang for your buck!!!

We have sailed RCI and Carnival once each. While we prefer RCI, Carnival prices are much better. RCI to us had better everthing - food, entertainment, service. Carnival food and service is really good we just like the atmoshphere on RCI. We are also not party people. We are cruising with Carnival in April because it is much cheaper. Along as I cruise any ship is fine with me.

The best thing you can do before choosing a ship is do the research about the ship. Check out the ratings and reviews on several Web sites. Evaluate those ratings do they seem reasonable?

I know people who just book a crusie without doing their homework. Invest time in your planned crusie. They were not happy cruisers!

Look at prices long before you plan and schedule your cruise. I get emails daily from different Web sites, so be well aware of what the going rate is.

The current cruise I most recently book was in Sept for an April '06 Cruise. I don't usually book that far in advance but I found that the price for this cruise I booked does not fluxuate much. The rate is $300.00 more now than when i originally booked it. This is not always the case. When I booked it in Sept for April, the October dates/rates of '05 for the same itinery were similiar.

This is our first time on Carnival based on my homework it should be a good one. I am a little leary only because there has not been much activity on the Activity board for this sailing. Hopefully it will pick up. Our last cruise on Celebrity had lots of good info on the cruise board.

Hello

I am one of those people who has sailed HAL, RCCL, and Princess and always thought that Carnival was a big booze fest. I knew we could not afford Disney unless we sailed in hurricane season which wasn't a good idea and even then our 2 year old couldn't stay in the childcare program. So, then I heard about Carnival's program and was very unsure at first. I then researched and researched and read tons of reviews and decided that I would eat my words and book a Carnival cruise. I realized that all the people that had negitive things to say had never been on Carnival. (Like many of the posters say)

We leave on the Miracle in 4 days. When I get back I will write a detailed review. I am not really hard to please, but I do like friendly service and a nice room. Food is not a big deal for me. We aren't even planning on going to the dining room. I will let you know how it goes. Take Care!!

Hello

I am one of those people who has sailed HAL, RCCL, and Princess and always thought that Carnival was a big booze fest. I knew we could not afford Disney unless we sailed in hurricane season which wasn't a good idea and even then our 2 year old couldn't stay in the childcare program. So, then I heard about Carnival's program and was very unsure at first. I then researched and researched and read tons of reviews and decided that I would eat my words and book a Carnival cruise. I realized that all the people that had negitive things to say had never been on Carnival. (Like many of the posters say)

We leave on the Miracle in 4 days. When I get back I will write a detailed review. I am not really hard to please, but I do like friendly service and a nice room. Food is not a big deal for me. We aren't even planning on going to the dining room. I will let you know how it goes. Take Care!!

Thanks, Micki! Have a wonderful cruise. I can't wait to read your review.

And thanks to everyone else who responded as well. I feel so much better now, and am doing loads of research. I find that planning/deciding on a cruise is half the fun! (Well, maybe not HALF, but it is fun! :p)

Hello,

We traveled on Carnival in May of 2005. We took our children on the Holiday. There were 2 and 4. We were treated so well. The kids LOVED camp carnival and begged to go there. OUr 4 year old cried when we left the boat and asked if he could stay for 100 more days.

I never thought a vacation would leave such an impression on 2 small children. My 2 year old totes his fun ship freddy stuffed animal with him everywhere we go and is always calling every boat the holiday boat.

At Christmas we told the kids we were going back on the holiday boat and I nearly died when I saw their response. They jumped up and down and screamed and carried on for 20 minutes. WE are taking my parents this time.

We loved it and I have nothing bad to say. The food was fine. The kids loved the pizza and really we are not picky so we tried a little of everything and it was mostly good. WE loved sitting outside in the evening with the kids on the play deck. We all had an ice cream and watched the sun set then the kids played. In the evening we took advantage of the free room service and ordered the kids some small snakcs and chocolate milk and my husband was able to get a turkey sandwich and everyone went to bed happy.

:)

My wife and I began cruising with the kids several years ago. When the kids grew up, we began cruising with other couples. We have sailed on Carnival four times, RCI and Princess once, and a couple of now extinct lines a couple times, does anyone remember Premier? In my opinion, Carnival is one of the best, not to say there is anything wrong with the others. Each has something unique to offer. If you are sailing with kids; Carnival or RCI. At times we thought we preferred the food on RCI, at least the buffet. The entertainment is better on Carnival, hands down. Premier is an older crowd, Carnival has a younger crowd and a lot of kids in the summer. Carnival has the largest cabins and usually the best price. A lot of times it boils down to when, where and for how long. Departure days, departure ports, and length of the cruise are always a consideration. We recently tried an 8 day cruise on Carnival Legend, it was great. We just booked a 12 day from Honolulu on the Carnival Spirit; 5 days at sea on the return after 7 days in Hawaii, I can't wait unil Oct. '06.

i've been on Carnival several times and its a wonderful cruise line!

i live in a city where "foodies" (or food snobs) are literally everywhere... and even the very best restaurants have critics who give them bad reviews. :p

as far as the "booze fest" comment goes.... well, yes i like to drink and have a good time on my cruises, but i don't carry on like an obnoxious drunk while roaming the ships hallways or common areas. i've also never witnessed anything like that.

if you're adverse to "partying people", just stay out of the bars/club in the very late night hours.... its really that simple.

otherwise, Carnival is excellent, you and your family will be very happy! enjoy :D

Archived