Anthem Questions

Looking ahead to March break 2020 with our kids and saw a good price on Anthem of the seas (plus the fact that we have the option of driving to NYC is a big bonus). Have some questions.

1. Anyone been in the obstructed balcony rooms and know just how much is blocked? I'm looking at one of these or 2 interior rooms with virtual balcony for similar cost (let me know if anyone suggests one over the other)?
  2. The start and end of our cruise can be cold. Do they open the indoor solarium up for kids?
  3. Will "We Will Rock You" still be playing by then?
  4. Anyone been on Oasis class and then Quantum class with kids? Is it just as good, or is there disappointment?Ship looks really neat and different, but wondering if they will miss slides that they'll have on Symphony and even Mariner.
  5. Any refurbishments planned?

Thanks.

I would book the two obstructive balcony cabins. There is a lifeboat in front of the balcony, but you will still be able to see over it. It's nice just getting the fresh air and to be able to sit outside without the crowds. Can't compare to a virtual balcony.

WWRY as well as The Gift and Spectra's will still be on the ship. They are the main shows and won't change at least until dry dock.

DSC01732_zps253eafe4.jpg

Thank you....to confirm...our room selection would be either:

A) Book 2 interior rooms (virtual balcony)

B) Book 1 obstructed balcony room

As another quesiton...can you not book refundable on 2 rooms? I only seem to be able to price check the refundable cost on the single room (no option on 2 interior rooms...even when entering all info)

Glad to hear about We Will Rock You. I saw that in Toronto a few years ago (and more than once) and loved it.

Thank you....to confirm...our room selection would be either:

A) Book 2 interior rooms (virtual balcony)

B) Book 1 obstructed balcony room

As another quesiton...can you not book refundable on 2 rooms? I only seem to be able to price check the refundable cost on the single room (no option on 2 interior rooms...even when entering all info)

Glad to hear about We Will Rock You. I saw that in Toronto a few years ago (and more than once) and loved it.

You can book both staterooms with refundable deposits. However, whether they have messed that up on the website is the question. Just call to book.

Thanks so much.

Bob...Yeah, I tend to book on phone with Royal agent so will ask them for refundable price. Very annoying in terms of price checks though.

holden0301...Thanks so much for the feedback on activities. March 2020 our kids will be 10 and 14 so similar to yours

Biker...great...glad that refurbishment is after...at least in terms of the shows staying.

Debating on just booking a single interior (virtual balcony). That's how we tend to book anyways and then we can spend the savings on specialty meals (or Disney World excursion as Orlando is one of the stops...lol).

Debating on just booking a single interior (virtual balcony). That's how we tend to book anyways and then we can spend the savings on specialty meals (or Disney World excursion as Orlando is one of the stops...lol).

There might not be much savings - many times there's little cost diff between 4 in a cabin vs 2 cabins. The extra space and bath is usually well worth the diff.

Thanks so much.

Bob...Yeah, I tend to book on phone with Royal agent so will ask them for refundable price. Very annoying in terms of price checks though.

holden0301...Thanks so much for the feedback on activities. March 2020 our kids will be 10 and 14 so similar to yours

Biker...great...glad that refurbishment is after...at least in terms of the shows staying.

My first Royal Caribbean cruise was with our kids 5 and 8 at the time. We did a short 4 day cruise from Cape Canaveral and 3 days in Disney. Personally for what it cost to go to Disney I can’t see that it would be worthwhile to go there on a ships port of call day. Travel time back and forth plus waiting on lines for the rides take up a lot of time. I think the Money would be better spent on the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There might not be much savings - many times there's little cost diff between 4 in a cabin vs 2 cabins. The extra space and bath is usually well worth the diff.

Non-refundable difference of 1 vs 2 interiors is $700. Need to call to get quote to get refundable cost on 2 interiors, but am guessing difference is similar or even more. So that's substantial. (And my DH will spend $$$ on electronics and food but for travel will do it as cheaply as possible..but at least he's open to the idea of having a 3rd cruise booked...lol).

The other thing is the 2 interior virtual balcony for 2 people were at the front of the ship...but not sure if there are more or that's just what the site was showing me.

My first Royal Caribbean cruise was with our kids 5 and 8 at the time. We did a short 4 day cruise from Cape Canaveral and 3 days in Disney. Personally for what it cost to go to Disney I can’t see that it would be worthwhile to go there on a ships port of call day. Travel time back and forth plus waiting on lines for the rides take up a lot of time. I think the Money would be better spent on the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hear you, and I'm sure there are very few who would find Disney excursion worthwhile (and to add to it...it's Ontario march break so will be busy). It's just we're all the way in Orlando...how do we not go?

Edited by LuCruise

My kids (11 and 15) love the Anthem! The bumper cars, roller skating, circus school, rock wall, IFly, Northstar, escape room etc. offers plenty to do.

Going on Anthem first time next July...I'd love to hear more about the IFly and Northstar....like how much prep do they give you for Ifly and would a mild to moderate claustrophic have a problem? How long are you in the Northstar and how many people are in it with you? Does it sway?

Going on Anthem first time next July...I'd love to hear more about the IFly and Northstar....like how much prep do they give you for Ifly and would a mild to moderate claustrophic have a problem? How long are you in the Northstar and how many people are in it with you? Does it sway?

NorthStar is 13 people. It 'can' sway but I never experienced that. I would say that a claustrophobe may have issues. But it's only a nine minute "ride".

iFly - you watch a video and listen to instructions and get a chance to ask questions. I felt very prepared.

Thanks guys..very helpful and can't wait to do both I fly and northstar. DD said she booked them both before sailing and I think i will do the same. Do they have a video you can buy of your flying session?

Just to throw a few more things in if it helps anyone...

We went on Anthem this past January and we loved the ship. Our kids are 10 & 13. The ship gets a bad rap sometimes, but we very much enjoyed it.

iFly: as mentioned previously, if you want video, have someone in your party take it. Keep in mind though when you book your times, split your party up. If you all go at the same time, you cannot take any video when you have your gear on and waiting just out side the tube. We figured this out the hard way. Luckily, our kids got on multiple times, so we could video them.

Northstar: we found it smooth going up and down. It doesn’t go over the side of the ship anymore. We did it once leaving NY as the captain took us past the SOL (water was calm) and again in port in Nassau. If concerned about it swaying, just book in a port.

Disney: we did go to Disney for the day, however we were in port from 7:00am until 9:00pm. We rented a car from Enterprise (about a 7 minute walk from ship if docked at CT1) and were in the park from about 9am-6pm. We are Disney geeks and go enough, so this was just to get our fix in. We were ok not getting every ride in. It all depends on what you want out of it. When you consider the cost of some other excursions like swimming with dolphins, it really isn’t that bad for a whole day. Keep in mind though, the ship is not always in port at 7:00am. I believe on 7 night sailings, it only gets there at 12:30. In that case, I would say not worth the hassle.

Seaplex was great...my kids lived there!

Hope this helps someone...

OACAggie, thanks for the feedback. Good tip about iFly and videos. And great to hear that you can get on more than once. I can see my kids loving this.

In terms of Disney...we're just like you. And even for the March we booked the Anthem, I'm still debating between keeping the cruise or just going to WDW (or even mixing it with shorter Mariner cruise). Our itinerary has us in Orlando form 12pm to 9pm. Not sure the excursion bus time (as we'd just take the bus rather than renting), so our time would be quite short...but how do we not go to Disney when we are right there? Question...were you able to book FastPasses...or does this not work for the one day trip ? When we went before, we pre-booked as we stayed onsite for 6 nights. I'm assumign for a cruise, you buy your ticket at the gate so am guessing FP+ doesn't work.

You get your tickets online and can get 3 fast pass rides. I did this last year. It was hot so the time was long enough. If you're thinking of Frozen ride,get as soon as you can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Thank you. Was your stop from 12:30pm to 7pm? If so, do you remember the bus times?

Good to know that you can purchase ticket beforehand and then book FastPasses. My daughter is past Frozen (at least when she is around friends...lol), but my son loves Splash and both love Big Thunder...do definitely some headliners to try for.

Keep in mind for the fast passes, you will only be able to book them 30 days out. As Pmorton said, you can buy the tickets online ahead of time and if you have a Magicband or RFID key to the world card from a previous trip, you can link the ticket to that and you will not have to stop at the ticket office or guest relations ahead of time.