Not just breaking even with Cheers......

susan1957

I did it once cause I had to. It was rather convenient to have all the soda, waters, energy drinks, coffees, not to mention alcohol available. I reached my max more than a few times. If I had under 4 drinks left I'd usually hit a few good bars and try some scotches, bourbons, cognacs, and whiskeys. Finish with champaigne. Used cheers to do some taste testing lol. I like to cruise to try new things and drinking is one of them! . Lol. my bill was pretty ridiculous even though the program covered it. I think I had like 6 chocolatinis in a row one night before switching over to XO's.

Thats what I was thinking. We arrive in Grand Turk on one of our port days at noon. Thats plenty of time to enjoy breakfast and a couple of bloody Marys or mimosas or coffee with Bailey's.

If you have noon port days it’s certainly possible. Mine are usually more like 9am.

If you have noon port days it’s certainly possible. Mine are usually more like 9am.

We have 8 am, 9,am, 10 am, and noon port day arrivals. On only one of the days we are doing a planned excursion. Thats on our 10 am Curacao day.

For the record, I can, and do drink quite a bit when having fun. On all of my pre-Cheers cruises, I would be very cost conscious for EACH drink. I would stare at a drink menu and think "Is this drink going to be good, would I like it enough to justify the cost? Do I really want it?" I would also get the less expensive wine with dinner, if I got any. This over-analyzing took a lot of fun away.

Last cruise, we tried out Cheers and because the money was already spent, I didn't second guess anything, and if I didn't like a drink, no biggy, just get another. So of course I drank more than otherwise but I drank what I wanted and got my money's worth (in my opinion). In a way, it is kind of comparing apples to oranges, but it is a psychological barrier for me at least. Not for everybody, but it is good for me :)

Cheers isn’t for us because I can’t drink more than 5 drinks a day. I’m just not a big drinker and don’t care about getting my moneys worth by drinking milkshakes and speciality coffees. What sucks is it is definitely worth it for my boyfriend but unless we are in separate cabins he won’t have it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it is worth it for your boyfriend and even if you drink no milkshakes or espresso based coffees, your five drinks per day at the Alchemy Bar @ 10.95 each makes it worth your while plus bottled water or bottled iced tea would put you well over the top. If you don't like the Alchemy, wines at dinner or at the Steakhouse before dinner plus frozen foo foo drinks during the day. Even if you only have 4, then his sixth makes up for it and any others he has is gravy.

Cheers isn't just about alcohol but bottled water, powerades, milkshakes, speciality coffees as well. You need to take advantage of what's available with it and not just depend on Jack Daniels to cover the cost.

This is what sold us on Cheers, bottled water, Powerade and milkshakes for the kids, I know it's sharing but it's not alcohol

I wonder if Carnival has ever been sued due to someone getting hurt or even killed with their 15 drink limit.

Legally, it seems to me, Carnival is saying 15 drinks from 12-bedtime is fine...………. Not for all

How many people even drink 15 drinks total (of any kind) in a given day? I have tea in the morning, a wine cooler with dinner 2-3 times a week, and bottled water the rest of the time. I would feel bloated and miserable if I was drinking milkshakes, sodas, etc. that frequently.

There are some people that are not lightweight drinkers. I was at 13 or 14 alcoholic drinks every night on a 5 day cruise, think I hit 15 one night. Plus I would order two beers if we were going down to the room (used mine and my wife's card as she wasn't getting anything) and would just put one in the fridge for later. So I definitely drank more than 15 drinks some nights. Plus I did energy drinks, coffee and vitamin waters. I don't ever feel bloated I just have to pee a lot.

I wouldn't recommend all the drinking to most people as they probably wouldn't feel very good the next day, but I have never had a hangover in my life so getting up and feeling good the next day isn't a problem for me.

I wonder if Carnival has ever been sued due to someone getting hurt or even killed with their 15 drink limit.

Legally, it seems to me, Carnival is saying 15 drinks from 12-bedtime is fine...………. Not for all

Bartenders still have the authority to cut someone off sooner even if they haven't hit 15 drinks.

I think a lot depends on the age of the passengers. For old farts like me, 4-5 drinks a day is about my max, but a do like to purchase CHEERS - I like getting the specialty coffees for example, and I don't worry about getting my money's worth.

BUT, I learned the hard way that when you're traveling with someone in their 20's (my daughter), they're all about getting to that 15 drinks a day marker (lol). Then, I remembered being that age, and I know that I would have been right there with her. Basically money means something different to a 20 something and a 50 something.

we would only need to each drink 8 beers a day. That really isn't a lot of you consider you're on vacation. It's like one an hour from 5:00pm until things close down around 1:00am.

We do Not drink more than we would w/o Cheers For us its about port days versus sea days. On a 7 day cruise with 3 or less port days we'll do Cheers
Ballarinamom can do it with beer only from 5 PM on. That is exactly like a port day, when you're not back till then. Unless you're drinking all day while in port, then port versus sea day should not matter to Swscruiser, but many are predisposed to assume that being off the sjip for 8 hours or so no longer makes Cheers a viable option, when it many cases it still does since you're on the ship and awake for more hours than ashore. And the only time you're drinking all day in port is if you're at an all inclusive like Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

Only if you pay full price. I pay $46.76 per day (as SHOULD everyone) before tip. Those four drinks are $46.90 before tip. So like I said... SMH
I even took it one step further and prepaid Cheers for our 2018 and 2019 sailings for the two of us before the 1/1/18 2.00 price increase, saving 1.80 per day each for the two of us, resulting in saving just over 50.00 for the two cruises combined.

I think people forget that with the cheers program you are allowed to have other things besides your alcohol beverage. You don't have to just get alcohol. Can't you get specialty coffees as well?
Yes, and soda, juice, bottled still and sparkling water, large bottled water at dinner, bottled Honest Iced Tea, energy drinks, sport drinks and milkshakes.

I know folks on here who love Cheers! will extol all the nuances about this program, but you (and everyone 21 an over in your cabin) still have to drink quite a bit just to break even. My wife and I have talked about this and were very close to purchasing it this past cruise just to try it and see what it was really like. In the end, we decided against it as we wouldn't come close to touching what Cheers! would cost us, given our alcohol and specialty beverage consumption. We'd have to go into the cruise knowing one of our main goals would be to drink and drink often.

We'd have to go into the cruise knowing one of our main goals would be to drink and drink often.

Actually, at the peril of sounding like total lushes, drinking well and often is one of our main goals on a cruise! Way back when, before kids, our bar tab on a 7 day cruise was never less than $1000, so Cheers is a bargain. Even more now, since prices have obviously gone up. Break even? Ha! This is one charge on a Carnival cruise where I actually feel like I come out ahead.

My wife and I purchased Cheers for the first time in 13 cruises. We never spend more than the cost of Cheers when we sail with our kids or by ourselves but this trip, were sailing with some friends that bring out the party in all of us so we said what the hell!

I'll let y'all know my thoughts when I get back! (if i can remember them):D

Yes, and soda, juice, bottled still and sparkling water, large bottled water at dinner, bottled Honest Iced Tea, energy drinks, sport drinks and milkshakes.

see so if you took advantage of all of that, you can actually get your money worth and more. I think if people stop looking at it from just an alcohol point of view then they would see their worth.

If you combine all the choices you get with the program, alcoholic drinks (w/top shelf liquor if you ask for it), discounts on a whole bottle of wine or whatever, non-alcoholic drinks AND not having to constantly keep tabs on your spending or worry about that end of the week bill, it's totally worth it. In my opinion anyway :D

We have done Cheers many times and not really "gotten our money's worth". We drink mostly beer, and have decided that if one of our stops is Half moon Cay, we will never purchase it. Cheers doesn't work on the private island, and this would be our main drinking day. We don't drink a lot of coffees or soda either. Every time I come home and add up our drinks, it never equals what we paid for Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app