Dirty Diapers on Balcony

elliair

This was the perfect opportunity for you to directly mention to these parents that people eat on those tables. They have a responsibility to dispose of the diapers appropriately. No one here is 12 years old anymore. It’s time to be an adult.

I will say though that I’m not sure I would have said something to the parents. I am outspoken and not afraid to speak up however if I encounter something completely out of my norm I don’t always react the way I’d like to in retrospect.

This confirms my steadfastness in using peroxide wipes on all surfaces inside and out wherever I travel.

I had every opportunity to say something to the parents but thought better of it. I told the cabin steward, he was fully aware of it for sure (though he pretended to not understand me)! Maybe with my complaint on the survey I got from Princess, they'll talk to the cabin steward. IMHO, it is not his job to dispose of their child's dirty diapers. But it is his responsibility to give them a hazardous waste bag. Maybe they had them and just decided in the middle of the night when changing the child that they'll just toss it out on the balcony thinking the room steward would take care of it! Really? Handling a crappy diaper? I feel sorry for the next people who has that cabin. Maybe they won't even go out there and sit in the chairs or use the table. I'll be sure to take Clorox wipes on our next cruise and wash everything down. I feel gross right now thinking about it.

Even worse was the conversation with an Oasis cabin steward. Upon introducing himself, one of his first requests was that we put toilet paper into the toilet. What???

Turns out the last cruisers followed the notice above the toilet of not putting anything paper into the toilet.

In some European and Asian countries there are signs in public toilets requesting people not to flush toilet paper but to place it in the bin provided. The sewage systems can't handle it.

This is totally inappropriate. I've cruised with toddlers before, and been frustrated since it's hard to find garbage pails near the cabin areas. But I either walk to the elevators to find a garbage pail or (more frequently) I'd run into a housekeeping cart along my walk, and throw away the diaper directly into the section of the cart meant for garbage. You cannot leave these diapers in the room, or on the balcony. They did not provide us with bags for the diapers; it's good to know we can request them in the future.

I’m a parent and I when my children were in Nappies/diapers would always bring my own disposable bags to put them in . They don’t cost much and at least it makes them more hygienic and masks the smell !! I would then dispose of them in the bin and let’s face it there is always 2 in a cabin ! In my opinion this is a parent problem I wonder what state their house is in !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is totally inappropriate. I've cruised with toddlers before, and been frustrated since it's hard to find garbage pails near the cabin areas. But I either walk to the elevators to find a garbage pail or (more frequently) I'd run into a housekeeping cart along my walk, and throw away the diaper directly into the section of the cart meant for garbage. You cannot leave these diapers in the room, or on the balcony. They did not provide us with bags for the diapers; it's good to know we can request them in the future.

I'm not sure I like the idea of using the pail near the elevators, either.

It ABSOLUTELY is the cabins steward's responsibility to clean the cabin and make sure that all trash, including diapers and ANY waste, and especially hazardous waste, are removed and disposed of.

Why is there even the teeny tiniest bit of question about that????

WOW.

Any suggestion that anyone else should be responsible for taking waste and taking it thru the ship to any other location to dispose of it is just mind-boggling to me.

Seriously... where are some posters even coming from.

It ABSOLUTELY is the cabins steward's responsibility to clean the cabin and make sure that all trash, including diapers and ANY waste, and especially hazardous waste, are disposed of.

Why is there even the teeny tiniest bit of question about that????

WOW.

Any suggestion that anyone else should be responsible for taking waste and taking it thru the ship to any other location to dispose of it is just mind-boggling.

But don’t you think that the parents should put them in bags and dispose of them in the bin for him to take out and not on the balcony?

I do not start many threads here but I have to ask this. I've never seen this in our many cruises on Princess or even Carnival. We were on the Caribe deck aft on our recent Alaskan cruise. When looking over our balcony to the balcony below we noticed dirty diapers bundled up on the deck, chairs and table. WHAT??? Aren't parents given a plastic bag to dispose of them? They stayed out on the deck for at least 4-5 days. Didn't the cabin steward see them? I walked down to the cabin in question and asked the cabin steward about them. There may have been a language barrier in my asking about them. But I'd like to know what happened here. I did address this in the Princess review that was sent to us.

P.S. This was on the Grand Princess

Just for clarification....were the diapers in a bag or just tossed out on the table?

I was not given diaper bags on my last cruise but fortunately brought my own. Yes, I'll be the first to admit I put a dirty diaper in a bag on my balcony but always let the steward know it was there. Why leave it in a lobby trash can or in your room where it can sit and smell for several hours.

For everyone who is so grossed out--you either A) never had kids or B) your kids are so old you forgot what it's like to travel with them as babies. Parents need vacations and traveling with kids is difficult enough without harsh judgement from others.

Glad has trash bags, which I always have in my home. Right now I have the one with "Febreze" freshness. On the box it has "continuous ordor control for LASTING FRESHNESS (quoting the box), fresh clean, odor shield, 4 gallon bags (fits small cans), which I use of to dispose of my cat litter. I don't want people entering my home smelling litter, so I would hope the same for parents with small children to take a box of these with them to dispose of any items that may need to be put into them and make sure the steward knows that this is what they are for.

You should have gone to the Guest Relationship immediately and, if possible, with a photo of your phone, the cabin steward and supervisor of those cabins would have been fired and dropped off at the next port. You should not have argued with the cabin steward. Also the guests would have been noticed and perhaps ejected from the ship.

Even worse was the conversation with an Oasis cabin steward. Upon introducing himself, one of his first requests was that we put toilet paper into the toilet. What???

Turns out the last cruisers followed the notice above the toilet of not putting anything paper into the toilet.

Actually, not surprising. My daughters are Russian adoptees. The have their own bathroom, which they clean themselves and we enter infrequently. They had been home with us for a couple of years before we realized that my oldest was wrapping her used TP in even more TP and then placing it in the trash can (which had a lid that contained any odors).

It was an embarrassing discussion for all concerned, but the upshot was that in the hinterlands of Russia, where they came from, the toilets could not accept TP and no one had thought to tell them otherwise once they came home with us.

Just for clarification....were the diapers in a bag or just tossed out on the table?

I was not given diaper bags on my last cruise but fortunately brought my own. Yes, I'll be the first to admit I put a dirty diaper in a bag on my balcony but always let the steward know it was there. Why leave it in a lobby trash can or in your room where it can sit and smell for several hours.

For everyone who is so grossed out--you either A) never had kids or B) your kids are so old you forgot what it's like to travel with them as babies. Parents need vacations and traveling with kids is difficult enough without harsh judgement from others.

The diapers were rolled up and laying on a chair, balcony deck, and on the table, that's how I knew they were diapers. They were not in a plastic bag, that's how I knew they were diapers.

I don't forget when we had children and had to travel. We did not leave any dirty diapers laying around, we got rid of them as fast as we could the proper way. Harsh judgement? I paid big bucks for my cruise and I don't accept having to use my cabin balcony to sight see and look down at crappy diapers laying out where the next passengers are going to be sitting and using the table.

I have sent a email into customer service at Princess laying out the situation. When I get a response I'll post it here. Not holding my breath though for one.

Why the balcony and not in the bin (trash can) ? There will be two in the room . I’m beginning to think this is an American thing to do, something we or most of us wouldn’t do!

That's simple to answer, they did not want to smell the dirty diapers. The balcony was the next best thing. What do you think would have happened if they laid them out by their door? Seeing dirty dishes laying out in the hall way is bad enough, but add diapers...YIKES! Seems to me from the first day when a cabin steward knows there's a child in diapers in his cabin to be attended, that he would get the parents squared away. Common sense sure is lacking. We've never encountered this in all of our cruises on Princess or Carnival. Only babies in the pool with diapers on - but that was on Carnival which we do not cruise on their ships any more.

Are you sure that they were disposable diapers? Maybe there was an argument going on about washing regular diapers? Regardless the parents surely should have had a plan for the diapers, they were going to have to do something before and after they had a balcony to toss them on. Just weird, but considering the actions of the general public, something like this probably happens on every cruise.

Princess should have a policy on the disposal of dirty diapers and it should be provided in writing to families upon check-in. In my opinion, dirty diapers should be kept in deodorized bags which should be removed from their room by the cabin steward twice daily when he empties the garbage. All this entails is removing the bag, not touching the actual diapers. Cute name “funnybunny”. I was always taught to judge each individual on his/her own merits not slander a whole group for their nationality. No worries, I will not judge all British people by your comments.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
The diapers were rolled up and laying on a chair, balcony deck, and on the table, that's how I knew they were diapers. They were not in a plastic bag, that's how I knew they were diapers.

I don't forget when we had children and had to travel. We did not leave any dirty diapers laying around, we got rid of them as fast as we could the proper way. Harsh judgement? I paid big bucks for my cruise and I don't accept having to use my cabin balcony to sight see and look down at crappy diapers laying out where the next passengers are going to be sitting and using the table.

I have sent a email into customer service at Princess laying out the situation. When I get a response I'll post it here. Not holding my breath though for one.

Yes, harsh judgement. Parents and their kids pay big bucks for their vacation as well so no sympathy with you on that one.

What will Princess be able to tell you? Are you expecting money back because you were inconvenienced or would you like Princess to start monitoring each child that comes on a ship?

Why leave it on a balcony for other people to be forced to smell your kids' poop? But hey, as long as you don't have to deal with it, right?

Yes, harsh judgement. Parents and their kids pay big bucks for their vacation as well so no sympathy with you on that one.

What will Princess be able to tell you? Are you expecting money back because you were inconvenienced or would you like Princess to start monitoring each child that comes on a ship?

Nice try honey, but I'll give you what you're trying to insinuate. Where did the money factor come in to play? Is that something you would demand? As a matter of fact, Princess should monitor children who are in diapers, make sure that the parents are given proper methods of disposing of hazardous waste. There's bags left under the sink for women to dispose of their sanitary napkins, why would it be any different for a child who cannot control his/her bowel movements?

You're right that I do not have any sympathy for the parents tossing their kids dirty diapers out on the balcony where the next passengers are going to sit. I haven't heard from Princess nor do I expect to hear from them. What are they going to say? But perhaps they'll "monitor" parents who have diaper wearing children better. It's not the room stewards job.

As for what country they were from, I don't know, as we had many different people on board from many different countries. It matters not where they are from, it only matters what they do on board that is an eye sore for others.

Funnybunny...... your slurs against any other nationality are not going unnoticed here.

Not at all. Your comments are simply not appropriate in any way.

And, YES, it is the cabin stewards responsibility to monitor the room, remove all trash, even diapers, even clean toilets, etc...

Absolutely, no question.

Any suggestion otherwise, by any poster, is completely and totally untrue.

They do wear gloves for such tasks.

MODS??????

Hello, are you here....

I’m with you on that.

It’s not just infants wearing diapers but adults as well. Disposable bags are available and provided if requested by PAXs. To me, it is the responsibility of PAXs to request disposable bags when they board and first meet their cabin steward. Don’t cabin stewards leave disposable trash bags in the room if requested by the PAXs, so the cabin steward can bin the bags when they service the cabin?

PAXs request. They provide. Just like PAXs asking for a sharps container for used needles, or asking for distilled water for a CPAP device, or asking to have the ice bucket refilled daily. PAXs need to ask.

Just my opinion.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

This was the perfect opportunity for you to directly mention to these parents that people eat on those tables. They have a responsibility to dispose of the diapers appropriately. No one here is 12 years old anymore. It’s time to be an adult.

I will say though that I’m not sure I would have said something to the parents. I am outspoken and not afraid to speak up however if I encounter something completely out of my norm I don’t always react the way I’d like to in retrospect.

This confirms my steadfastness in using peroxide wipes on all surfaces inside and out wherever I travel.

. No, don’t confront someone, no matter how innocent you do it. As a retired Law Enforcement Officer, I have taken numinous reports or made arrests for battery. Some people will not take kindly to being lectured to, because someone had the nerve to say something to them. There are supervisors who get paid to take care of problems. Let them do it. My DW and I decided not cruise out of San Francisco anymore after our last cruise. Trying walking around SF and all you see are the homeless, urine smell. This doesn’t surprise me, that this occurred on the Grand.

. No, don’t confront someone, no matter how innocent you do it. As a retired Law Enforcement Officer, I have taken numinous reports or made arrests for battery. Some people will not take kindly to being lectured to, because someone had the nerve to say something to them. There are supervisors who get paid to take care of problems. Let them do it. My DW and I decided not cruise out of San Francisco anymore after our last cruise. Try walking around SF and all you see are the homeless, urine smell. This doesn’t surprise me, that this occurred on the Grand.

Sorry, but I fail to see the connection.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947