Dirty Diapers on Balcony

elliair

I do not start many threads here but I have to ask this. I've never seen this in our many cruises on Princess or even Carnival. We were on the Caribe deck aft on our recent Alaskan cruise. When looking over our balcony to the balcony below we noticed dirty diapers bundled up on the deck, chairs and table. WHAT??? Aren't parents given a plastic bag to dispose of them? They stayed out on the deck for at least 4-5 days. Didn't the cabin steward see them? I walked down to the cabin in question and asked the cabin steward about them. There may have been a language barrier in my asking about them. But I'd like to know what happened here. I did address this in the Princess review that was sent to us.

P.S. This was on the Grand Princess

I do not start many threads here but I have to ask this. I've never seen this in our many cruises on Princess or even Carnival. We were on the Caribe deck aft on our recent Alaskan cruise. When looking over our balcony to the balcony below we noticed dirty diapers bundled up on the deck, chairs and table. WHAT??? Aren't parents given a plastic bag to dispose of them? They stayed out on the deck for at least 4-5 days. Didn't the cabin steward see them? I walked down to the cabin in question and asked the cabin steward about them. There may have been a language barrier in my asking about them. But I'd like to know what happened here. I did address this in the Princess review that was sent to us.

You should have gone right to guest services & have given them the info. you're posting about here. The review was too late & virtually useless in taking care of that issue.

OH boy, IF I would have saw that, I would have called the hotel manager, and ask him/her to please come to my cabin, as I had something to discuss. Then I would take him/her onto my balcony, and have them take a look/see over and ask if this is something new allowed on Princess. IF so, not, how was he/she going to address it. AND mention that their cabin steward seemed to overlook the issue. Then give them a few hours, and see if it is addressed, then either call the hotel manager back and thank him for taking care of the issue OR press the issue higher up.

You should have gone right to guest services & have given them the info. you're posting about here. The review was too late & virtually useless in taking care of that issue.

I thought I did one better by asking the cabin steward about it. Just as I was talking to him, the couple with their munchkin were coming out the door. It was the height of laziness all around. I've been to guest services before about other things and IMHO they are of no help. On a different matter, the door on the deck that separates our cabin from the next was broken. It was held shut by a wooden wedge. We asked about it getting fixed and never got a response. I bet the wooden wedge is still there..

Wow! Yes, on Princess, disposal bags are usually supplied. However, it seems that this steward was not very well trained as to how to handle the diaper issue. And they don't see it nearly as often as on some other lines. That doesn't excuse it, but may at least partially explain. I do think the answer may have been a demand to see the hotel manager or a housekeeping supervisor, but as you said, that may have been a worthless request.

Lines that are more geared to dealing with kids supply "diaper genies" which are emptied twice daily!

OH boy, IF I would have saw that, I would have called the hotel manager, and ask him/her to please come to my cabin, as I had something to discuss. Then I would take him/her onto my balcony, and have them take a look/see over and ask if this is something new allowed on Princess. IF so, not, how was he/she going to address it. AND mention that their cabin steward seemed to overlook the issue. Then give them a few hours, and see if it is addressed, then either call the hotel manager back and thank him for taking care of the issue OR press the issue higher up.

Absolutely agree, that would be the way to handle it....with the hotel manager.

I wonder if they were using cloth diapers and, hopefully, rinsed them and placed them on the balcony in the sealed bag(s). The OP did not mention if there was an odor emanating from the bag(s) or if it was just unsightly to have to look at. At least I hope they were in bags. (yn)

How unplesant....OP I liked the way you handled it as you went to the source, that could resolve it immediately.

Not that anyone would find this a big deal but I found it rather amusing as I had never seen it before in all my years of cruising. Last month, on a Pacific Coastal, someone strung a line diagonally the full length of their caribe balcony and hung their wash out to dry....we have all seen or put a few wet towels or suits on chairs etc...but a line? this was at least 15 pieces of laundry, just blowing in the wind on embarkation day;)

Edited by land lover

I am so grossed out by this ... both the negligence of the room steward as well as the 'diaper contents for brains' of the parents that put these out there in an area where people eat. I just may never ever eat on my balcony again. It's no wonder people get norovirus and other transmissible diseases while onboard. Just yuk!!

On the balcony is better the couple we had across from us on one cruise. They placed the used disposable diapers (not in a bag, just fold and closed with the diaper tapes) outside their cabin door where they would sit until the cabin steward came on duty in the morning or evening.

We did complain to guest services and asked that someone speak to them about proper disposal.

Someone must have spoken to them because then the used diapers in plastic bag (unclosed) were placed outside their door.

Another visit to guest services and somehow the couple finally figured out diapers outside their door was not allowed. The couple did have a balcony (we were in an inside), maybe they placed the bag on the balcony.

I am so grossed out by this ... both the negligence of the room steward as well as the 'diaper contents for brains' of the parents that put these out there in an area where people eat. I just may never ever eat on my balcony again. It's no wonder people get norovirus and other transmissible diseases while onboard. Just yuk!!

I'm also disgusted beyond belief. Who does this? It's just plain rude and nasty.

I don't know why the parents would not be asking for something to be done about this issue.

Why would they even want the diapers to be piling up on their balcony??????

I think that there was some gross negligence here (pun intended!).

And, yes, Guest Services have often been reported as useless.

Don't even go-there with the cabin steward...

I would have taken a photo of this issue, in real-time, and taken it all the way to the highest level, requesting an immediate meeting with the Hotel Manager, not taking 'no' for an answer.

The idea that those photos could, and WOULD, end up all over the internet would def. have been enough to warrant some response!!!

I wonder if they were using cloth diapers and, hopefully, rinsed them and placed them on the balcony in the sealed bag(s). The OP did not mention if there was an odor emanating from the bag(s) or if it was just unsightly to have to look at. At least I hope they were in bags. (yn)

They were not cloth diapers, they were the disposable ones. What was so disgusting, the crap was oozing out of them. The Mom or Dad probably didn't want the diapers in their cabin and that was the closest place to toss them. Maybe they forgot about them, I dunno, Hopefully with my comment in the Princess questionnaire, they'll talk to the cabin steward. It was really bizarre to see that. The cabin steward surely saw them when he cleaned the cabin 2 times a day. Does one really have to bring it to someone's attention? I did, the steward seemed a little agitated.

How unplesant....OP I liked the way you handled it as you went to the source, that could resolve it immediately.

Not that anyone would find this a big deal but I found it rather amusing as I had never seen it before in all my years of cruising. Last month, on a Pacific Coastal, someone strung a line diagonally the full length of their caribe balcony and hung their wash out to dry....we have all seen or put a few wet towels or suits on chairs etc...but a line? this was at least 15 pieces of laundry, just blowing in the wind on embarkation day;)

If I would have made a scene, the cabin steward would have gotten into trouble. I thought about taking a video of it, but thought different about it because I didn't want the steward to get into trouble. Knowing how Princess handles different things in the past, the steward would have gotten the crappy end of the deal. This was definitely parents who have never cruised on a ship before with a munchkin. I don't know how dirty diapers are handled on the ship, seems to me it would fall under hazardous waste.

Absolutely agree, that would be the way to handle it....with the hotel manager.

Thanks for clarifying. Not only is that disgusting but a health hazard. Sorry you had to experience it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You and me both my friend. Couldn’t have said it beter.

I thought I did one better by asking the cabin steward about it. Just as I was talking to him, the couple with their munchkin were coming out the door. It was the height of laziness all around. ..

This was the perfect opportunity for you to directly mention to these parents that people eat on those tables. They have a responsibility to dispose of the diapers appropriately. No one here is 12 years old anymore. It’s time to be an adult.

I will say though that I’m not sure I would have said something to the parents. I am outspoken and not afraid to speak up however if I encounter something completely out of my norm I don’t always react the way I’d like to in retrospect.

This confirms my steadfastness in using peroxide wipes on all surfaces inside and out wherever I travel.

I would have addressed the situation, whether the cabin steward was held accountable or not.

Seriously.

This was human waste on the tables and chairs in a stateroom balcony.

I would have taken a photo, and taken this photo to the head. "Hotel Manager" at my earliest opportunity.

I would not have hesitated.

In fact, as I had mentioned, the parents themselves might have been upset and frustrated that these nasty diapers were not being removed from their cabin and discarded.

I would not have brought it up to the parents. No way, at all, period. (the steward as well)

I see no reason, whatsoever, to risk personal confrontation with possible offender.

In fact, I would especially not want this kind of stress while on my cruise vacation.

Not my circus... Not my monkeys.

I would have taken it to the proper channels right away.

Sometimes that is just the way to go.

NOTE: to go even further here.... I am wondering WHY cruise lines are dropping the ball here. This is not okay.. With more and more elderly and disabled passengers, we are now hearing reports of ADULT diapers being left laying.

: O

Edited by Wishing on a star

Disgusting! Can you imagine how the weather wreaked havoc with them? Warm sun, cool nights...eww! It's clearly the cabin steward's fault.

I tried responding to this from may tablet but as with a lot of tablet posts it didn't happen (though I did see it briefly as being posted).

Someone else may have said what I said but in case not - it is NOT the cabin's steward's fault. It is the fault of the parents who are setting a wonderful example to their child - someone else will clear up your mess (literally) if you leave it long enough.

Typical example in this day and age of people not being able to take care of issues that are their own making (having small child that needs a diaper to be disposed of) .

Blaming the steward is too easy an option seen as how there is someone who is paid to clean up - makes you wonder at the state of the cabin, maybe (s)he spent so much time dealing with the cabin they never got outside.

First off that is disgusting and very lazy.

Secondly, it seems to me that the steward did not check the balcony. If he did, then yes its his fault. Stewards wear gloves for a reason, to protect themselves. The steward should of explained that there is a way to dispose of dirty diapers by giving them a plastic bag. I think the customer would of appreciated it and understood.

I ask for a needle container so that I do not contaminate anyone else out of respect.

Also in the bathroom there are small paper bags for women's personal hygiene to use so why not for babies?

Even worse was the conversation with an Oasis cabin steward. Upon introducing himself, one of his first requests was that we put toilet paper into the toilet. What???

Turns out the last cruisers followed the notice above the toilet of not putting anything paper into the toilet.

How many areas have you visited in Europe or the Caribbean where the WC has a basket for soiled paper? Of course cleaning the floor had to be gross for the poor steward.

The stewards should be able to get supervisory assistance and paperwork and hazard bags should be left in the cabin advising the cruiser of proper etiquette.

I’ve noticed an increase in questions from our stewards similar to do we need a sharps container. Not yet, for us, (but would for my very vicious diabetic comfort cat) - family members call her ‘mean cat’.

Having had blocked toilets due to flushed diapers, the cruiseline should have printed documentation and diaper disposal bags in the room to begin with.