Gala Night on Westerdam

jonyboy

We are going on our first cruise July 1 in Alaska on Westerdam. I've seen Gala Night mentioned in a few threads. What exactly is it and when is it? First night? Random night? I understand dress may be up a notch or two but since Alaska typically seems a little less formal is it also less formal on Gala Night?

Gala night isn't really formal on any itinerary and even less on an Alaskan cruise.

People will dress the same as smart casual. Men -- slacks and a collared shirt. Ladies -- slacks and a nice top or a dress.

You will see very, few men in suits and less in tuxedos.

Sorry -- can't help with what nights will be Gala -- usually the first night after embarkation.

We are going on our first cruise July 1 in Alaska on Westerdam. I've seen Gala Night mentioned in a few threads. What exactly is it and when is it? First night? Random night? I understand dress may be up a notch or two but since Alaska typically seems a little less formal is it also less formal on Gala Night?

Gala nights are usually on sea days.

All sea days? Or just one at random? This is a 7 night cruise, Sunday to Sunday and in Ports on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

For a 7 day cruise, you’ll have two gala nights. Check your itinerary and see which days are sea days. Gala nights won’t be on the first or last night, so that leaves five. If you don’t have two sea days remaining, then check for your earliest port return day. And if you’re cruising glacier bay, that’s essentially a sea day.

I was on the Westerdam on Sunday, May 6, roundtrip from Vancouver, and our Gala nights were on Monday (our first full day cruising the inside passage), and on Thursday night (our day cruising Glacier Bay). I'm not sure I would have noticed a significant difference from the other nights in the main dining room, but there maybe were a couple people really dressed up. The menus looked different, and one night they served lobster tail with filet or something like that. I actually had the sea bass that night, and it was very tasty. Enjoy your cruise! I absolutely loved ours, and it also was my first.

Gala nights are set by the Ship Captain. Typically, there will be two on a week long cruise. Usually they are the first full sea day and the last full sea day, or an early set sail if no full sea days remain.

Also, the MDR menu is "stepped up" not only in types of fare/food offered, but your menu will expand from a 3 course standard to a 5 course selection. (Though, you are welcome to order as much or as many plates as you wish always).

In my opinion, they are so much more than what attire someone decides to wear. They are an nicer night out and to me always feel more special, regardless of outfits around me.

Enjoy!

It's ALL your choice! We love dressing up! You can go either direction and feel comfortable. We are doing our 8th Alaska cruise, taking the kids and grandkids and everyone is excited to show their finery! That's "our choice"!

It's ALL your choice! We love dressing up! You can go either direction and feel comfortable. We are doing our 8th Alaska cruise, taking the kids and grandkids and everyone is excited to show their finery! That's "our choice"!

Thanks to all of you for your tips, information and advice

As far as I know, it is nowadays the Seattle Office that decides on how many Gala nights, and the Hotel Director, in consultation with the Captain when...there were times that Captains had far more say in the general operation, but these days are long gone...even Marine Operations decisions go through Seattle. Paperwork has probably also increased .Some routes have a bit more flexibility regarding these things, like the World Cruise, Signature Cruises, etc...but the budget is also much higher on these sailings...

Because the suggested apparel for gala nights is barely different, plus the fact that few people actually adhere to such suggestions anyway, and recognizing the fact that there is no practical enforcement in any case --- you should simply wear what you want (within broadly defined reason) and be happy with the way you look --- without considering the rest of your dinner mates.

Because the suggested apparel for gala nights is barely different, plus the fact that few people actually adhere to such suggestions anyway, and recognizing the fact that there is no practical enforcement in any case --- you should simply wear what you want (within broadly defined reason) and be happy with the way you look --- without considering the rest of your dinner mates.

That's been my plan right along