Price Change Surprise....yikes

So I looked up pricing for a cruise July 2019 yesterday and went home and discussed with the family who gave the go ahead.

Today I go online and each room category is anywhere from $250-$300 more per person then it was yesterday.

The sale didn't change. Is this typical? Should I wait until tomorrow to see if there is a different type of sale? I know sales don't typically change the price too much but a $250-$300 per person hike in price for a cruise more than a year away on the same sale it was yesterday seems a bit excessive.

So now only half the family wants to go at that price. I've never seen this happen before on the same promo so I was a bit in shock.

It is possible that a lot of people booked under the sale price, so the rates went up as the ship got fuller.

Also, make sure you were comparing apples, were both rates for a non-refundable or refundable deposit? That can substantially change the rate.

That really doesn't surprise me as I've seen it happen many times and not sure how they do it.:confused: We have a group cruising this October and noticed a price drop yesterday. Our early bookings saved over $300 and the later bookings saved over $500 by calling RCI to re-price the cruise; losing the minimal OBC was a no-brainer!;) Some wanted to wait until the weekend to call and I advised them to call immediately cause I've seen these price drops only last for a few hours. Glad we called quickly!:cool:

That big of a change sounds like something else changed. Like refundable vs non-refundable like mentioned. Or when you first looked it was for 2 per cabin and now you're looking for 3-4 per cabin.

When I booked an Alaskan cruise over a year out, I checked it near daily for weeks to try and catch a price break. Never happened, but the price never changed by more than $20-100 total for the three of us, so like $7-$33 per person. Always more expensive. Caribbean cruises might be more volatile though. Seems to be tons of competition in that space.

As ship fills, prices usually go up. Many times can be due to lower Cats filling up. One cruise I booked 2 months ago has almost doubled for same Cat cabin if was to booked today. Was $5089, now $9550. Though rare this much does happen... OP, your cruise is peak vacation time, 3/4 passengers can be lot higher. When my kids were young, a summer cruise was $799ea for first 2 passengers and 3/4 in same cabin was another $1099ea. At times I just got 2 cabins rather then one when traveling with my kids...

That really doesn't surprise me as I've seen it happen many times and not sure how they do it.:confused: We have a group cruising this October and noticed a price drop yesterday. Our early bookings saved over $300 and the later bookings saved over $500 by calling RCI to re-price the cruise; losing the minimal OBC was a no-brainer!;) Some wanted to wait until the weekend to call and I advised them to call immediately cause I've seen these price drops only last for a few hours. Glad we called quickly!:cool:

Good advise- Years ago I saw a price drop while at work and by the time I got home at lunchtime to call to get it adjusted it was back up again. Lesson learned