Visa inquiry

Pash81

Hi there, our family is booked on the Northern Isles cruise which stops mostly in Iceland but has one UK stop at the Shetland Islands. We will be traveling with our awesome nanny, who is a Filipino national. She already has the Schengen visa but my question is, does she need a UK visitor visa for our stop in the Shetland Islands?

I’ve called the Visa Central company that Holland America recommended but they in turn told me to contact HAL. I’m just getting a lot of conflicting information and I don’t want to have any kind of trouble when we go to board the ship. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Hi there, our family is booked on the Northern Isles cruise which stops mostly in Iceland but has one UK stop at the Shetland Islands. We will be traveling with our awesome nanny, who is a Filipino national. She already has the Schengen visa but my question is, does she need a UK visitor visa for our stop in the Shetland Islands?

I’ve called the Visa Central company that Holland America recommended but they in turn told me to contact HAL. I’m just getting a lot of conflicting information and I don’t want to have any kind of trouble when we go to board the ship. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Make sure you get your info in writing. This could be disastrous, as you obviously know. Can you contact the British embassy?

Make sure you get your info in writing. This could be disastrous, as you obviously know. Can you contact the British embassy?

I have emailed my local British embassy but I’ll call them on Monday as well (we booked the cruise last minute).

I just find it odd that no one at HAL can give me a solid answer?! Surely this can’t be the first time they’ve had this situation.

I certainly would not rely on anything HAL says. Get your info from UK, period. Also, it seems probable to me that your nanny would be in the clear if she does not leave the ship. But again, check with UK!

I have emailed my local British embassy but I’ll call them on Monday as well (we booked the cruise last minute).

I just find it odd that no one at HAL can give me a solid answer?! Surely this can’t be the first time they’ve had this situation.

There are almost 200 countries, each with its own entry requirements for citizens of all of the other countries. These requirements change on an ongoing basis, and given today's international environment, will continue to change. I think that it's unrealistic for HAL to track the requiremenst of every country, and I'm surprised that Visa Central referred you back to HAL.

Clearly, the best course of action is always to contact the official representation (embassy, consulate, high commission, etc.) of the country to be visited. Not only can they provide you with specific information, but can advise you of any pending changes. Your contact with the British embassy is exactly the right avenue to pursue.

Edited by Fouremco

I doubt that staying aboard will help as normally all the passengers have to be cleared. Risk is denied boarding which you definitely don't want.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

CIBT is the third party we’ve used for visas. Their web site is excellent with drill downs for country of origin, passport entity, citizenship, etc. Rules change all the time, don’t rely on anything you read online.

I doubt that staying aboard will help as normally all the passengers have to be cleared. Risk is denied boarding which you definitely don't want.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Correct. If any passenger does not have the correct documents necessary for getting off the ship in a port, they will be denied boarding. Even if they promise not get off in said port. Even if they don't get off in said port.

Once the ship enters the port, all passengers are considered "in" the country. Even if they stay on the ship.

Your location says Cayman Islands. Do you really reside there? They are a British Protectorate, so presumably your nanny would have a visa for there. Would this not also be valid for other British countries? The Shetlands belong to Scotland...EM

Your location says Cayman Islands. Do you really reside there? They are a British Protectorate, so presumably your nanny would have a visa for there. Would this not also be valid for other British countries? The Shetlands belong to Scotland...EM

Right, we are all residents of the Cayman Islands, but our citizenship is Canadian (aside from our Nanny, who is Filipino).

No, unfortunately, the work permit that she holds for Cayman does not translate into a visa for any other country. Looks like more research needs to be done.

If you go to the Scottish website it refers you to the UK website and I believe if she holds a passport from the Philipines she will need a Standard Visitors Visa.

It is quite easy to work through the requirements online.