Bermuda in April

ALS1214

Most of the cruise lines are now making trips mid April to Bermuda. Since I’m a teacher school vacation is a great time to cruise. How is the weather and if you cruised in April could you swim on ship and beaches? The Island is beautiful regardless but curious about how the early trips were.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might have some rough seas in April and weather can be iffy. During school vacation week, there will be so many children on board it will be nearly impossible to get in the pool unless you do a different cruise line that doesn't attract families with so many children's activities. The weather in Bermuda, while generally nice in April, can have clouds and showers that sock you in for a while.

The islands of Bermuda is in the middle of the big Atlantic, seas are unpredictable any time of the year, unlike river cruises - a little bit of rough seas, 10' to 15' waves aren't uncommon and to be expected, plan accordingly - DW and I don't take notice until waves in excess of 20' to 30' are definitive. You are likely to sail out of NY or Boston, whether it's the mega or mid-sized ships, have plenty of speed and real-time navigational tools to plot the optimal course heading to - usually - sail around the worst part of any approaching weather systems.

Being a chain of small islands, any forecasted showers or passing rain storm will typically last 10 or 15 minutes, and, any downpour are then over - sun will often re-emerge. We packed compact rain poncho (sold by local merchants everywhere when ...) twice & never had to use it. Bermuda Weather Services (Google it) give forecast & maritime/ocean updates and you can look at detailed historial trends & 5 to 7 days info for packing before your sailing.

We've been there a # of times over the years, 3X in April & May, days are nice & dry, comfortable in the 70's & maybe low 70's - beach/ocean water temperature are still cool for most to swim in (wet suits for surfing ...) but fine for a walk in those pretty pink sandy beaches. Ship's pool are supposed to be heated to 80 deg. F. but since they often drain & empty the pool at night to clean and refill, it might take a while to warm up the giant shared "bathtub" that we never go into. Best time to get into one of the few hot tubs is very early in the AM before others start showing up

Dockyard is very lively these days, unlike 10 or 15 years with the shops & places catering to cruise ship visitors - the public transport system (bus routes & ferry) isn't (I believe) yet on its extended summer schedule but Hamilton & St. George's on the East End aren't as crowded as with more ships docking ... 10,000 + passengers and crew members on shore leaves can quickly overwhelm everything in town.

If you can only travel during school holidays, then - you cannot avoid children & teens on breaks from different districts and systems wherever you go, just go with the flow. We are heading back to beloved Bermuda this October (again) and rolling our dices with the remote possibility of a late season threat for hurricane & storms ... the worst is a detour down the coast or NE/Canada and/or CTN for 7 nights to outrun mother nature.

Just coming back to the thread because I'm a fellow teacher(35 years) and every once in a while we, too, need a break from the children. If you haven't yet cruised during school vacation, I've got a couple of tricks and tips if you decide to pursue the cruise idea.

I don't go in the water until after Memorial Day, and even then, I'm in a wet suit. A poor time to consider, if "beach" is you priority

However, there is plenty else to see and do and I never tire of visiting.