Has anyone ever been off loaded because you have been injured on board ship

im just wondering if what had happened to me is typical of procedure.

I fell on the Navigator of the Seas and broke my hip just four hours after setting sail from Southampton. For some unknown reason we continued to our first port of call Hamburg two days away.

I was offloaded into an ambulance to go to the hospital. Nearly a week later I have heard nothing from nobody.

I had hip surgery and will be unable to walk with much weight on it for the next 12 weeks. There is talk of having to stay in Germany for the next 6 weeks!! This is under discussion with the doctor and my insurance company.

I’m presently awaiting treatment for the knee that was injured as well.

Is it normal that no one contacts you to see how you are once you leave the ship.

I had this happen in Tasmania quite a few years back. I was offloaded to the port agent at Hobart who took me to hospital (walking wounded - just) and kept in touch until my insurers got fully involved.

I learnt from that experience that the ship's medical department is only there to look after the ship's interest.

My wife stayed on board and after a few tantrums on her part, guest relations eventually contacted someone in Miami who liaised with both me in hospital and her via guest relations, but the info flow on ship was poor to the point of messages not being passed on until many hours later.

I was offloaded due to being unfit to travel and a danger to my continued health, but they let me walk from the front of deck 2 or 3 medical centre to the rear of deck 8 to my cabin to collect some essentials, papers etc. Then off ship to the port agents car, no offers of help or wheelchair, just get off as quick as you can because the ship is due to sail.

Stopped me from booking again with Royal for a long time.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

For some unknown reason we continued to our first port of call Hamburg two days away.

Just a general remark. You´ve been already cruising for four hours. Obviously you´ve been in a stable condition which did not require an immediate medical evacuation. That´s why they continued to Hamburg. They only return to the previous port when they are still close and for life threatening conditions. A medical evac via helicopter is the other option but an extremely expensive one. So they won´t do it unless the situation is critical. The third option would be an evac via a pilot boat but therefore you have to be close to the port too.

I wish you all the best and hope you don´t need to stay for another 6 weeks but can return back home!!

steamboats

Just a general remark. You´ve been already cruising for four hours. Obviously you´ve been in a stable condition which did not require an immediate medical evacuation. That´s why they continued to Hamburg. They only return to the previous port when they are still close and for life threatening conditions. A medical evac via helicopter is the other option but an extremely expensive one. So they won´t do it unless the situation is critical. The third option would be an evac via a pilot boat but therefore you have to be close to the port too.

I wish you all the best and hope you don´t need to stay for another 6 weeks but can return back home!!

steamboats

Helicopter evacuations by national services (Coast Guard, etc) are not charged to either the patient or the cruise line, and private helicopter evacuation is extremely rare, because most services don't have the expertise to either land on a moving ship or perform a winch rescue, and the cruise line doesn't want the liability for these services.

Evacuation is all about risk/reward to the patient. The Captain, in consultation with the ship's doctor, and the Coast Guard flight surgeon will determine if the risk of a helicopter evacuation (or one to a small boat) outweighs the benefit to the patient of getting him/her to the hospital sooner. If the patient is stable onboard, generally there will be no deviation or evacuation.

I fell on the Navigator of the Seas and broke my hip just four hours after setting sail from Southampton. For some unknown reason we continued to our first port of call Hamburg two days away.

I was offloaded into an ambulance to go to the hospital. Nearly a week later I have heard nothing from nobody.

I had hip surgery and will be unable to walk with much weight on it for the next 12 weeks. There is talk of having to stay in Germany for the next 6 weeks!! This is under discussion with the doctor and my insurance company.

Is it normal that no one contacts you to see how you are once you leave the ship.

I have been cruising for many years, usually a couple times a year.

Unfortunately on every cruise it's not unusual to see people transported by ambulance; happens very frequently because of illnesses/accidents. As pointed out, not all evacuations are helicopter emergencies.

A friend's husband was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Nassau and actually ended up having surgery there. She was very complimentary to RC and port personnel who helped her. She had to pack, go ashore, etc.

I would think that it does become a matter between a passenger and their insurance company. Cruise lines probably have to be very careful because of the restraints of insurance and legal departments.

I’m so sorry this happened. I presume you are British and are therefore not being charged for your stay in Germany? If your insurance company was looking at paying for that 6 week stay, they’d be looking at ways to get you home quicker and back to NHS (free) care. Can you not be transported in a wheelchair?

steamboats

Sorry I think you might have miss understood. We boarded in Southampton. We had been sailing four hours which sounds a lot but 2 hours of this was restricted speed because of the estuary. We were still just off the coast of England when I fell. Paying for the medical evac was never an issue. My hip was time sensitive and as it turns out the time lost has caused the fracture to get worse.

We never did see any official from the port agent

I’m so sorry this happened. I presume you are British and are therefore not being charged for your stay in Germany? If your insurance company was looking at paying for that 6 week stay, they’d be looking at ways to get you home quicker and back to NHS (free) care. Can you not be transported in a wheelchair?

Hi yes I am British and have the European Health Insurance Card. My insurance have been brilliant but I’m not stable enough of today to be air ambulanced for rehab to the U.K.

Thank goodness I took and always will travel insurance. What a nightmare if people don’t.

My reason for posting on here was to see what other people’s experiences were. I just feel I’ve been dumped in a country with no support. I’ve listened to so much music as very few people speak any English. But silver lining my German is growing by a few words.

Hi yes I am British and have the European Health Insurance Card. My insurance have been brilliant but I’m not stable enough of today to be air ambulanced for rehab to the U.K.

Thank goodness I took and always will travel insurance. What a nightmare if people don’t.

My reason for posting on here was to see what other people’s experiences were. I just feel I’ve been dumped in a country with no support. I’ve listened to so much music as very few people speak any English. But silver lining my German is growing by a few words.

I am sorry this happened to you, but not sure what you wanted, did you want them to turn around? Did you get evaluated by the doctors onboard? Did they give any information as to why they did not deem it enough of an emergency to turn the boat around?

What caused you to fall? I am an injury lawyer and yes I have sued Royal as well as all the other lines.

I ask not to solicit, but because some lines advise their customer service not to call an injured customer because it can be taken as admission of guilt.

You file is given to RC's adjusters (they are self insured) to then call you but it takes time.

All I can say is if it was RC's fault. Then don't talk to anyone but the lawyer you hire.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Sorry I think you might have miss understood. We boarded in Southampton. We had been sailing four hours which sounds a lot but 2 hours of this was restricted speed because of the estuary. We were still just off the coast of England when I fell. Paying for the medical evac was never an issue. My hip was time sensitive and as it turns out the time lost has caused the fracture to get worse.

We never did see any official from the port agent

While 4 hours doesn’t sound like a lot to you, turning a massive cruise ship around and returning to a port isn’t exactly that cut and dry.

First, they need an area large enough to turn in - while the waters around you might LOOK really large with no land in sight that can be very misleading to what’s under the surface. Ships draw a lot of water. Sometimes ship channels are dug deep but the water to the sides is too shallow for the ship to enter.

Turning around takes time. It’s not like they just hook a u-ee at the stoplight. It can take them a good 30-45 minute to make a complete turnaround.

If it too you 4 hours to get where you were it will take another 4 hours to get back to where you came from (not counting the time it takes to actually turn around) then time to dock, time to offload you and then they have to turn back around and head out again. They are now a full day behind schedule. (4 hours out+4 hours back to port+4 hours back to where they turned around = 12 hours to no where.). If I just wasted 12 hours of my $3000 vacation to let one person off the ship I’d be unimaginably pissed off. Now multiply that by a couple of thousand pax and... well safe to say the ship is only going to return 4 hours if it is only choice they have.

Fuel. They don’t necessarily have enough fuel for an extra 8 hours of travel. (4 to get back to port and 4 to get back to where they turned around.) and the dock may not have enough fuel on hand to refuel them. Plus, it’s not like they just stick a hose in and pull the handle up.

“But they could have just docked somewhere else”. No, they couldn’t. Again, water depths and all’s that. Things like port fees. Types of regulations on size of ships allowed in an area. Deep enough water. If you have to be tugged or pushed in (around here a ship can’t motor in on their own. They have to be tugged or pushed in.). Still a lot of wasted time and fuel.

Your best bet would have been an air evacuation. And just because you didn’t talk to someone about this option doesn’t mean that a behind the scenes discussion didn’t take place. You just weren’t part of that discussion probably because they didn’t want your input.

So while it sucks in the long run that motoring on to the next port caused you more damage, that’s just a chance you taken when you take a cruise and are at the mercy of the ship.

Just out of curiosity, how’d you break your hip? I mean, you fell, but slipped down the stairs? Tripped over someone’s ESA? I’m just nosey like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry this happened to you, but not sure what you wanted, did you want them to turn around? Did you get evaluated by the doctors onboard? Did they give any information as to why they did not deem it enough of an emergency to turn the boat around?

No I didn’t want them to turn around but to seek medical attention as quick as possible. This could have been done via helicopter or Boat. But time was of the essence as I’ve sadly found out. But this really isn’t the question I asked.

Sorry, but as others said most situations, unless life threatening best to go forward to next Port. In 30+ yrs cruising 60+ cruises, about 1/3 my cruises have had some kind Emergency, only 2 did Helo Hoist, none landed on ships even ones that have the landing pad on front of ship... Sorry again, Best Wishes...

What caused you to fall? I am an injury lawyer and yes I have sued Royal as well as all the other lines.

I ask not to solicit, but because some lines advise their customer service not to call an injured customer because it can be taken as admission of guilt.

You file is given to RC's adjusters (they are self insured) to then call you but it takes time.

All I can say is if it was RC's fault. Then don't talk to anyone but the lawyer you hire.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps you could help me why so it say in the letter I received a Miami care team will be in touch with you shortly. Does this then mean a few weeks/ months down the line. If it does then I’ve completely misunderstand.

I slipped on the Shuffle board court whilst walking over it.

If your child fell in school and was taken to hospital. I would have hoped out of a duty of care someone from the school would have made contact to see if they were ok. On the same principle if someone visited my house, fell or became ill and was taken to hospital I would feel that it was my duty to make contact with them to make sure they were ok.

Following my husband heart attack on the Serenade nearing the completion of our Copenhagen Transatlantic last Sept, we were taken off in ST Johns Newfundland, Ca and a crew member was assigned to me over the next 3 days. The ship was scheduled to go to Halifax but we were 1 day closer to ST Johns. Since it was felt it would be safer by the Coast Guard to bring him into SJ's over a helicopter ride plus I was told were to far out for the helicopter to come out that evening. I did extend a letter to Royal Caribbean on behalf of the Supervisor for Guest Relations to thank him. Friends during a recent cruise spoke with him and took his picture for me. other then that I didn't get any letter from Royal.

If your child fell in school and was taken to hospital. I would have hoped out of a duty of care someone from the school would have made contact to see if they were ok. On the same principle if someone visited my house, fell or became ill and was taken to hospital I would feel that it was my duty to make contact with them to make sure they were ok.

Hi Kim we were so sorry to hear of your accident, in fact today I was telling my daughter about it, we met Ian making the insurance call in the lounge. When I was telling my daughter about it I said I was surprised that they hadn’t taken you off earlier.

I hope you do manage to get home much earlier than 6 weeks, but hopefully you are being well looked after and we hope you make full recovery really soon.

Sadly after experiencing various management problems on the ship, I’m not at all surprised that they have not contacted you, but I have no legal expertise, but I would have thought just common concern would have come into play.

Interestingly enough Brittania who left the same day returned for a medical emergency. I think they eventually left Southampton after 8pm so we’re probably not as far out.

Big Hugs

Jean and Les.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do you know someone has not followed up with the hospital?

Edited by setsail

This is awful. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Just wondering why it is important to you that Royal checks to see how you are? Perhaps they have called and you just don't know it. I think I would be more worried about a million other things. I do hope you get better soon. Six weeks is a long time to be away from home. Very best wishes to you.

With a Corporation like this there could be legal reasons why they haven't contacted you. While it was an accident, contact could be construed as guilt or taking responsibility.

I quite agree with you that Royal Caribbean should have been in touch to check how you were doing. I suspect this should be done by the port agent. Possibly if they did not assist with your removal to hospital, they are not even aware of you and you have slipped through the net. Seems odd that they were not involved.

In January on Fred Olsen we turned back and returned to Durban with a lady who had fallen and broken a hip. We were several hours out, but managed to make up time despite this and still got to the next port on time. I felt very sorry for her as the rumour was that she was sailing alone, so would have found herself stuck in a South African hospital with nobody to help.

It is very poor of RCI. You would indeed think they had a duty of care and would stay in contact with you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have always believed that once they drop you off at hospital then it is down to you and the insurance company to get you sorted. So while it may be nice for cruise company (as part of good customer service) to make contact and help resolve any problems, I wouldn't necessarily expect it. There is no contractual obligation IMO and I would argue not even a moral obligation.

I have been on a number of cruises were someone has taken ill or been injured. My perception is that any life threatening situation results in ship making a detour to drop guest off the ship as a soon as possible. Even in these situations there can be many hours delay. One of the hazards of being at sea. In the case of other injuries, medical staff make a judgement call and advise the captain accordingly. Problem is that the judgement may not be always right.

Luckily not been in this situation myself so can't help OP with her question. I do hope everything turns out ok and you make full recovery in time.

On my very first cruise almost 20 years ago my son got very ill. He was 2 years old at the time. He had a fever that morning somwe didnt get off the ship. We were docked in Antigua. I had him lay down in our stateroom while putting a cold cloth on his head. His fever spiked and he started having convulsions. I raced to the bathroom and put himin the cold shower. When he stopped convilsing I ran out the stateroom and asked for help. A crew member took me to the ship doctor. The bathed him in alcohol but called an ambulance to take me off the shop with my son to the hospital. He had a throat infection according to the doctors. While at the hospital the ship called the hospital to check up on us and the ship paid the hospital bill and for a taxi back to the ship. I did have to pay the ship back for the bill however. But they did check up on us. The hospital gve me a prescription for antibiotics and said I can fill it at the local pharmacy in town. However I ran out m stateroom with my son without my purse or anything so had no money on me and planned to leave to get it when my mom returned from the island so she can watch my son. However the ship doctor called my stateroom to check on us and gave me the antibiotics for my son free of charge.