Cancelling P&O auto tips - does this hit P&O in the pocket or the staff?

Harry Peterson

The evidence is P&O themselves saying that removing the auto tips does not have any impact on what the staff get (a post about 5 pages back).

Don't believe that then speak to P&O yourself rather than spout your "that is your opinion" broken record.

We had an outspoken CS once who let us know the AG amount he got was a derisory amount and it was clear to us that he thought the passengers should give him more.

We had an outspoken CS once who let us know the AG amount he got was a derisory amount and it was clear to us that he thought the passengers should give him more.

Tipping a cabin steward? For what?

Sure a waiter has a huge impact on whether a meal is enjoyable or not, but running a vacuum cleaner round or not doesn't have any impact on my cruise.

Tipping a cabin steward? For what?

Sure a waiter has a huge impact on whether a meal is enjoyable or not, but running a vacuum cleaner round or not doesn't have any impact on my cruise.

Wel this confirms much of what I have posted before, those who do not like auto tipping make the most fuss about auto tipping. Very instructive.

By the way I shall continue point out that there are no facts about how the auto tipping works only speculation, hearsay, and made up information from non existent members of staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wel this confirms much of what I have posted before, those who do not like auto tipping make the most fuss about auto tipping. Very instructive.

By the way I shall continue point out that there are no facts about how the auto tipping works only speculation, hearsay, and made up information from non existent members of staff.

Dai, there are very few facts at all about auto grats, so neither those in favour nor those against know the real truth.

However if the recent increases are to cover for a rise in passengers not paying the AGs then once everyone switches to tipping in cash the sooner P&O might change their policy to including tips in the cruise price.

But as my mum used to "them 'as lives longest 'll see the most".

Dai, there are very few facts at all about auto grats, so neither those in favour nor those against know the real truth.

However if the recent increases are to cover for a rise in passengers not paying the AGs then once everyone switches to tipping in cash the sooner P&O might change their policy to including tips in the cruise price.

If a lot of people stop their AGs I wonder how soon it will be before P&O increase AGs again.

If that happens it confirms what a lot of people are thinking that the payers of AG are covering the shortfall from the non payers of AGs.

Exactly John

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Do you think more passengers are removing auto tips as they feel the standard of service has decreased? I have never removed them but after this thread I do wonder whether I should do and then tip individuals directly

Cathy

Do I really want to add more length to a thread on tipping? Against my better judgment, I have to say that having never previously cancelled auto-tipping, fearing it would impact on the staff, the evidence seems to be that on P&O this is not the case. While there is no incontravertible evidence that cancelling auto-tips does not affect staff income, the evidence for that argument is far stronger that for the reverse. In other words, can someone offer proof that if I cancel auto-tips when I sail on P&O next year, staff on that ship WILL receive less income?

If a lot of people stop their AGs I wonder how soon it will be before P&O increase AGs again.

If that happens it confirms what a lot of people are thinking that the payers of AG are covering the shortfall from the non payers of AGs.

Or alternatively the more people that remove the auto gratuity the less likely P&O are to increase it in the future. If every increase in auto gratuity reduces the number of passengers paying it then there is a point where each increase brings in less and less. Eventually an increase might reduce the total auto gratuity revenue for P and O.

Perhaps those of us who pay the auto gratuity should thank those who don’t pay for keeping the charge so low.

Eventually those who don’t pay may result in the auto gratuity system being abolished. Thank you.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the absence of any 'proof' it would seem the best course of action would be to remove the auto tips and tip in cash.

That way you can be sure the crew you wish to reward get your full payment.

I agree it's a bit more problematic for those like us on freedom dining especially as we don't ask to dine in any set area of the freedom dining restaurant(s).

In the meantime can only hope P&O start to include gratuities in the quoted price.

Of course those others who think as I do and have said so in the past are now put off by the attacks on me.

We are more regular cruises now on Royal Carribbean where the tipping threads are very pro-tipping and we always pre pay our tips and give cash extra too.

We are lucky on P&O that the AG are reasonable and we don't have 18% gratuities added onto everything and the drinks choices and prices are very reasonable and with select booking on balcony or higher cabin's gives us significant obc to to pay the AG.

Personally I now believe and have emailed and spoken to P&O about putting gratuities onto the price so everyone contributes and GS are not inundated with requests to cancel AGs.

You do not know that at all.

The word on RC tipping threads is that if you remove your AG the crew know and if passengers give them cash instead it has to go into the tip pool.

Crew can only keep cash tips if passengers pay AG.

It just goes to show what a nonsense the notion of 'expected' tipping is.

When I go to my local supermarket, John Lewis or any other store, I don't tip but one could easily point out they have provided a service to me so, why do some jobs expect tips and others do not.

I'm sure many employed in the 'non tipping' jobs are just as badly paid as those that expect tips, so it can't be that.

As can be seen from the posts on this thread, and earlier tipping threads, it seems to be inconclusive as to what percentage of AGs the crew actually get.

Forget cruising for a moment. In all aspects of retail or hospitality, just set your prices 'service compris' and pay your staff accordingly.

Even when I purchase something online I get a price that includes delivery and that is the final price. Many people will still have been involved in completing my order and providing me a service - am I going to tip them all?

It just goes to show what a nonsense the notion of 'expected' tipping is.

When I go to my local supermarket, John Lewis or any other store, I don't tip but one could easily point out they have provided a service to me so, why do some jobs expect tips and others do not.

I'm sure many employed in the 'non tipping' jobs are just as badly paid as those that expect tips, so it can't be that.

As can be seen from the posts on this thread, and earlier tipping threads, it seems to be inconclusive as to what percentage of AGs the crew actually get.

Forget cruising for a moment. In all aspects of retail or hospitality, just set your prices 'service compris' and pay your staff accordingly.

Even when I purchase something online I get a price that includes delivery and that is the final price. Many people will still have been involved in completing my order and providing me a service - am I going to tip them all?

But even worse is the situation on P&O where people are voluntarily paying the auto tips thinking they are benefiting the crew when in fact it doesn't!

You really couldn't make it up.

And what is even more astonishing is that some people are trying to defend the situation.

This is my first post. We've been cruising for 15 years, mainly P&O but other cruise lines as well, all sailing from Southampton. About 3 years ago I discovered Cruisecritic, becoming a member a year later when I discovered that you could go to your last read post on a thread once you signed up. Despite being an experienced cruiser I've found a wealth of valuable information, negatives as well as positives, from posters about cruise lines, ships, and ports that I didn't previously know which has influenced my bookings. However tipping threads on the P&O forum are the worst as they always degenerate into arguments, not discussions, with posters on both sides of the argument putting their case. I'm experienced enough to make up my own mind on what to do on tips / service charge, I couldn't care less if others tip additionally, keep AGs as they are, adjust them downwards, or pay nothing at all.

This is my first post. We've been cruising for 15 years, mainly P&O but other cruise lines as well, all sailing from Southampton. About 3 years ago I discovered Cruisecritic, becoming a member a year later when I discovered that you could go to your last read post on a thread once you signed up. Despite being an experienced cruiser I've found a wealth of valuable information, negatives as well as positives, from posters about cruise lines, ships, and ports that I didn't previously know which has influenced my bookings. However tipping threads on the P&O forum are the worst as they always degenerate into arguments, not discussions, with posters on both sides of the argument putting their case. I'm experienced enough to make up my own mind on what to do on tips / service charge, I couldn't care less if others tip additionally, keep AGs as they are, adjust them downwards, or pay nothing at all.

Welcome to the crazy world of tipping threads.:rolleyes:

BTW, I agree with what you say, and have expressed similar views myself previously.