Old San Juan

rlo

Hello everyone,

I'm scheduled to cruise on the Harmony of the Seas on September 15, 2018.

I'd like to schedule a local driver for sight seeing Old San Juan.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Rosie

Hello everyone,

I'm scheduled to cruise on the Harmony of the Seas on September 15, 2018.

I'd like to schedule a local driver for sight seeing Old San Juan.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Rosie

How much time do you have there and how mobility capable are you? The streets are tight and traffic can be slow. Assuming Harmony uses the pier at Old San Juan, It makes for a nice walking day.

How much time do you have there and how mobility capable are you? The streets are tight and traffic can be slow. Assuming Harmony uses the pier at Old San Juan, It makes for a nice walking day.

Yes Old San Juan is not that big. If you're at all mobile it's all walkable.:) If not, just grab taxi's as necessary (for example to get to El Morro fort and back).

Yes Old San Juan is not that big. If you're at all mobile it's all walkable.:) If not, just grab taxi's as necessary (for example to get to El Morro fort and back).

Just as an FYI for anyone reading this. I've cruised out of San Juan each of the last 2 years and 2014 as well. The free jump on-jump off trolleys were recommended. Last May (post last year's hurricane) We walked around Friday afternoon from 2-8 and then after our cruise on a Saturday from 10am to 4pm and didn't see them. I don't know if they are still operating or still coming back to what they were.

Edited by BillOh

Just as an FYI for anyone reading this. I've cruised out of San Juan each of the last 2 years and 2014 as well. The free jump on-jump off trolleys were recommended. Last May (post last year's hurricane) We walked around Friday afternoon from 2-8 and then after our cruise on a Saturday from 10am to 4pm and didn't see them. I don't know if they are still operating or still coming back to what they were.

I 2nd this replay. Been there approx 8 time, and have never spotted one. Just there in April, again no trolley. I have heard many people talk about then and I'm sure they are there, but i think very few and far between, so don't depend on them for your transportation.

Go to puertoricodaytrips dot com (I don't think the forum rules lets us cut and paste a website) and look for Old San Juan Walking Tours. If you're in good health, the walking tours are great.

I was in San Juan on Oasis in February and the free trolleys were running. The puertoricodaytrips website also has information on using the trolleys.

It will be only for a day. Thank you for your replay.

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Thank you each and everyone one of you for all your comments and suggestions about what to do in San Juan. I'm looking forward to it.

Rlo.

Unless you have trouble walking, I would forget about the trolley and go on foot. That way you can go down any street that looks interesting. We love just walking around " old " San Juan. ( have been to both forts )

Thank you each and everyone one of you for all your comments and suggestions about what to do in San Juan. I'm looking forward to it.

Rlo.

Many excellent photo reviews of what to do in San Juan on Cruise Critic.

Here's 2 days pre-cruise... includes both El Morro and San Cristobal.

Hopefully gives you some ideas you can use for yourself.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50911647&highlight=San+Juan#post50911647

There is a bus trolley that goes around the streets as well as a little train trolley that's very convenient as it connects the two forts. The train trolley takes you right up to the front door of El Morro if you're mobility challenged (scroll down to post #28 in the link above)

Google is your friend

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/trolley-old-san-juan/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

https://www.touroldsanjuan.com/trolley-map/

Yes, the parks are wonderful as are the food trucks if you get there early enough.

There are also some wonderful art galleries in San Juan. My friend and I walked a few miles in the city, saw a lot of art and had a great day.

I sopke to all the locals in Spanish and was always understood but I was almost always replied to in English - my accent must be lacking! The reason I mention this is that speaking Spanish in the art galleries and specialty shops got me better prices and service.

The city has a lot of homeless cats but many shopkeepers put out food and water for them and most are quite tame. There is a book of San Juan cat photos sold to raise money for the care of the cats. It can be found in some galleries and shops.

Have fun!

Still operating, we used it in May following our cruise on Sunday, May 6. Were told they didn’t operate on Sundays but were when we were there and very little wait to catch one, seemed to be quite a few of them running or just made it around quickly. :D

I 2nd this replay. Been there approx 8 time, and have never spotted one. Just there in April, again no trolley. I have heard many people talk about then and I'm sure they are there, but i think very few and far between, so don't depend on them for your transportation.

I believe they are mainly for locals since the streets are right. In 2014 we saw a lot more of them from 8-9am and 5-6pm. When we boarded at stop #9 near Barrachina lots of locals got off to go to jobs. (again this was 2014)

Still operating, we used it in May following our cruise on Sunday, May 6. Were told they didn’t operate on Sundays but were when we were there and very little wait to catch one, seemed to be quite a few of them running or just made it around quickly. :D

I didn't know about the Sundays, (after a week on Jewel I forgot what day it was! )