I need ideas for Low Carb eating while on my cruise

DHD

We are cruising July 23 and I have been doing low carb for about 10 weeks, I need some ideas on how I can keep this going. I plan on letting myself have a treat here or there but for the most part I want to stay focused. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I eat low carb too. For breakfast, I usually stick to scrambled eggs or an omelette with some smoked salmon and loads of fruit. For lunch, I fill up with a big salad, no croutons and go easy on the dressing. I sometimes add a vegetable soup if I'm still hungry. At dinner, you can then splurge a bit and have a bread roll or dessert with your entree. There are so many choices on a cruise it's easy to eat healthy. Biggest thing is to not get carried away by the number of items available at the buffet. And definitely stick to your workout routine.

Edited by Baby_Bear

I eat low carb too. For breakfast, I usually stick to scrambled eggs or an omelette with some smoked salmon and loads of fruit. For lunch, I fill up with a big salad, no croutons and go easy on the dressing. I sometimes add a vegetable soup if I'm still hungry. At dinner, you can then splurge a bit and have a bread roll or dessert with your entree. There are so many choices on a cruise it's easy to eat healthy. Biggest thing is to not get carried away by the number of items available at the buffet.

Thank you for your ideas.

I am not certain if you plan on enjoying cocktails on your cruise, but staying away from fruity,creamy frozen concoctions would save you a lot of carbs.

If you plan on having a few drinks, stay with plain drinks- wine,vodka etc.

Also, go easy on fruit servings. Lots of carbs in fruit especially grapes and bananas.

Hold to what you are doing at home. Try to get in some good exercise as that can help carb control.

I have reduced my A1C level from 6.2 to 5.8 by following a low carb way of eating,exercising and abstaining from alcohol drinks.

You can do this on the cruise.

Bon voyage !

The good news is you have a lot of options to pick from. So check out each food venue and zero in on your best options for the week. The buffet always has a salad bar for lunch and supper and you'll find at least a couple of different protein options also for hot foods on the buffet. You can get your Guy's burger without a bun and then hit the toppings bar and make your own low carb selections. Ask for a low carb bowl at Blue Iguana for breakfast that skips the tortilla and hash browns and then hit the salsa bar. In the dining room you can order more than one entrée to focus on proteins and low-carb veggies, and then leave behind the carbs that come with the entrees.

There is no shortage of meat to be found for sure. One tip in the dining room to avoid waste is you can order entrees and tell the server to NOT bring whatever starch or side you won't eat. My son ordered many entrees with just the meat alone with no problems at all.

We are cruising July 23 and I have been doing low carb for about 10 weeks, I need some ideas on how I can keep this going. I plan on letting myself have a treat here or there but for the most part I want to stay focused. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do what you do at home.

We usually watch our carbs and have had no problem in the MDR just asking for the starch to be replaced with an separate vegetable, sometimes they replace it on the plate and other times they have brought the replacement item in a separate small side dish.

Also be careful not to rely on vegetable salads as the main source of a meal because to get the full benefits of a low carb diet you need a certain amount of protein and moderate fat.

DH is low-carb as well and has no problem finding options. His favorite breakfast is an omelet; he stays away from the pancakes and waffles. If he doesn't want to wait for an omelet, he opts for a hard-boiled egg. His fruit is usually limited to a banana for the potassium. For lunch, he usually opts for a chef salad and maybe one of the protein choices at the buffet. At dinner, he skips the bread and has the no-sugar dessert that is offered each night - if he doesn't care for what they're offering, he goes for the cheese plate. He doesn't drink much - a glass of wine here and there, or maybe a single-malt Scotch if he wants to splurge. In all, there are lots of options available.

An unrelated suggestion: go for walks daily. If you're on a Spirit-class or Dream/Vista-class ship, there are wonderful Promenade decks available for walking. All of the ships have jogging tracks vailable as well.

You might want to meet with the HW at the beginning of the cruise so that you can pre-order food .