Picking a suite on Emerald Princess

Debbdo

Hello all you helpful cruisers!

We're booking a cruise on the Emerald to Alaska in September. We can choose between a cruise leaving 09/02 and getting suite R408 (PH) or leaving 09/09 and getting A752 (Owner's suite). Both are being held till 06/07, so we need to make a decision quickly. Both leave from Seattle, so my only issue is just picking a cabin as both itineraries suit our needs. This will be our 2nd Alaskan cruise, our 5th cruise in all. Our last cruise was Panama Canal and we had a suite, so we got very spoiled! I LOVE the perks you get with a suite. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Thoughts to Ponder:

R408 has the large pool area above it and may be subject to noise when the chairs are being moved early in the morning by the crew. That may not be an issue if you are early risers or heavy sleepers.

The owner's suite, however, may be somewhat protected from any terrace pool noise by the 2 cabins that are above the suite. It's hard to tell if they are directly above the suite.

My preference would be the aft location every time. DW and I have had suites and mini-suites in just about every location on the ships. We love the view and the ocean sounds of the aft location. Drawback is distance to travel to other parts of the ship. I do think that the noise from the pool on the deck above you would not be a problem. Have a great trip.

Thoughts to Ponder:

R408 has the large pool area above it and may be subject to noise when the chairs are being moved early in the morning by the crew. That may not be an issue if you are early risers or heavy sleepers.

The owner's suite, however, may be somewhat protected from any terrace pool noise by the 2 cabins that are above the suite. It's hard to tell if they are directly above the suite.

On the Emerald, those two cabins on Riviera deck are Oceanview cabins with no balcony. The OS balcony is part covered and part open to above. People from the Terrace Pool deck could look into part of the balcony.

That being said, I would pick the OS because of the significantly larger balcony. The Riviera deck suites have only a 5 foot deep balcony and are fully covered with an additional 2 foot overhang from the Lido deck above. You won’t get any sunshine. We were in one of those suites on a Baltic cruise and used the balcony while cruising through the Stockholm Archipelago and in and out of St. Petersburg. However, because of the shallow balcony, the lounge chairs could not face the sea and there was only room for two chairs and a small table. There were three of us and one of us had to stand. The aft view from the OS should be a good spot for viewing wild life from either side of the ship and will have a chance for sun on your balcony part of most days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've had C749 twice on the Ruby (aft penthouse, I think) and LOVED it. That said, I think I'd be in big trouble with DW if I picked an aft cabin for Alaska: too much that we're used to seeing while enroute. And, given how wonderful the aft suite balconies are, I think I'd cry if I had a side-facing Riviera suite. So, if you're set on a suite for Alaska (jealous!), I'm really torn on what to tell you.

We cruised Alaska in a corner aft suite on the Island that had a wrap around balcony. We hardly ever used the side balcony due to the wind. We used the aft balcony constantly as it was completely wind free and warmer. Still had sweaters on but it was nice enough to have MDR room service breakfast, lunch and dinner whenever we wanted. The views were stellar.

So I’d say aft simply for the wind free useable deck space.

On the Emerald, those two cabins on Riviera deck are Oceanview cabins with no balcony. The OS balcony is part covered and part open to above. People from the Terrace Pool deck could look into part of the balcony.

That being said, I would pick the OS because of the significantly larger balcony. The Riviera deck suites have only a 5 foot deep balcony and are fully covered with an additional 2 foot overhang from the Lido deck above. You won’t get any sunshine. We were in one of those suites on a Baltic cruise and used the balcony while cruising through the Stockholm Archipelago and in and out of St. Petersburg. However, because of the shallow balcony, the lounge chairs could not face the sea and there was only room for two chairs and a small table. There were three of us and one of us had to stand. The aft view from the OS should be a good spot for viewing wild life from either side of the ship and will have a chance for sun on your balcony part of most days.

Because of the balcony issues noted by IECalCruiser, I would never want a midship Riviera suite again. The balcony is a joke. All this nice padded teak furniture and nowhere to put it. the two loungers were shoved off to one side where they barely fit next to each other facing the opposite side of the balcony. It was hard to use even one lounger and just about impossible for two to use the loungers at once.

The aft penthouse suite we had a couple years ago on the Grand, with a much deeper balcony, was a whole other world.

Jim