Viking Sineus - Ukraine

peasmith

22 hours ago, Horsedds said:

Viking boat moors at the marine terminal, right opposite the funicular and metro station!

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the boat docks right around here. Does this spot look familiar?

2019_05%20Ukraine-077-L.jpg

The Chornobyl Museum is definitely walkable from here. It costs maybe 45 or 50 hryvnia each (less than $2) and you can get an audioguide for a similar additional fee in many languages. We didn't bother because my tour guide, pictured above, can read Ukrainian.

You can also grab tokens to the funicular (8 hyrvnia each way, about 30 cents) at the station itself. If you take the funicular to the top there's a nice park with trees, gorgeous views of the river from on high, and a nice walking path back down to the lower city. You can walk down through the park, by the statue of St. Volodymyr - apologies for the construction going on around the statue; hopefully it's finished now:

2019_05%20Ukraine-067-L.jpg

Or you can take a longer meandering way through town passing by St. Andrew's Church (with a gorgeous viewing platform that costs 20 hryvnia each, about 70 cents), then walking down what's called the Andriyivskyy Descent, to Podil, which will lead you back to the ship. Two can have an independent tour for under $5.

2019_05%20Ukraine-080-L.jpg

Metro tokens are also 8 hryvnia each, and the metro is pretty easy to use, even if you don't understand Ukrainian.

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm Ukrainian but was 'protected' from it growing up so I don't even know how to curse in it.  [Actually, we were told that we were Polish.  My theory is that when my grandparents came from Lviv, it was called Lemberg as part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and my grandfather had gone AWOL from the Hapsburg Army – so no loyalty to the 'old country.'

How interesting! Chris's Great-Grandfather died in WWI, probably in the Hapsburg Army as well. He was wounded in battle then taken to a military hospital near Berlin where he ultimately died. Lviv/Lwow/Lemberg was definitely under Hapsburg rule then. Her Grandfather deserted from the Soviet army and escaped in 1942, bringing his family (including Chris's Mom, aged 1, and the widowed Great-Grandmother).

A shame that sequence didn't happen a generation earlier. But Chris's parents were always very pro-Ukrainian and took all sorts of steps to preserve the culture and the language. In fact it took them many years to accept the fact that she was going to marry me! It was quite a shock.

About tipping the crew on the last day: Do you prefer to pay the tips prior to the trip (in your home currency, probably) or to pay cash on the ship, usually the last day, using the currency of the ship? What is the currency of the ship?  

We were there in May and we did not, generally do not, prepay the tips. The currency of Ukraine is Hryvnia. I got 5,000 H, which is about $180. I didn't realize that you don't tip the guides daily, as they travel on the ship with you and are tipped through the ship. Also, everything is very inexpensive, by US standards. I ended the trip with a lot of hryvnia left, and used it to pay tips at the end. 

1 hour ago, Glorybe said:

About tipping the crew on the last day: Do you prefer to pay the tips prior to the trip (in your home currency, probably) or to pay cash on the ship, usually the last day, using the currency of the ship? What is the currency of the ship?   

On board gratuities are included in Viking UK fares. The only people not included are coach drivers, but the same drivers and coaches are used every day, so only need to tip at end of trip.

Prices on board are shown in Ukrainian but drinks bill & on-board gratuities cab ne paid in one's own national currency.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, pontac said:

Your room is next to stairs, which are used to get to restaurants/coffee machine on floor below and sundeck above, but should be no louder than any other cabin from human noise.

Correction.

Room 322 is next to the stair case that goes up from reception (on the main deck) and up to the upper deck and the Panorama bar. The staircase to restaurants/coffee machine (which is on your floor), upper deck  and sun deck & lounge (top deck) is at he other end. The landing with the stairs has two small seating areas but I never saw anyone sitting there

On 7/16/2019 at 12:05 AM, Glorybe said:

What would Viking be charging for optional tours? Just a price range would be good enough as the cost of the tours will, no doubt, vary.

Is the charge for the optional tours in US$? UK money? Euros? 

On board booking for optional tours are priced only in UAH and range from UAH 1370 to UAH 2490 per peson.

I suggest you book optional tours ASAP on My Viking Journey for two reasons.

1) You can ensure you get the trips you want; some have a limit

2) You can pay in your own currency

Our cruise was not fully booked, short of 50 passengers, so there were vacancies on optional tours but yours may be full.

1 hour ago, Glorybe said:

Viking just started to permit paying for the tips in advance and on our last cruise, that is exactly what I did -- but first I did the math to see if there was any reason that I should be paying on the ship -- such as a change in the exchange rate which would make it markedly more expensive to pay early since Viking calculates the fares once. Viking figures the tips on the number of days not the number of nights. The per diem rate will be higher than on other cruises since the guides travel with you and receive tips out of the pooled tips.

Even if you wish to single out crew who have been especially helpful, do contribute to the pooled tips as the pool is divided among the entire hotel staff and not just the few members you may see on a daily basis. 

If you pay by credit card, make sure that you are charged in UAH and let the banks do the conversion, you will get a much better exchange rate. If you charge in your home currency, it will be figure at whatever rate Viking determines then immediately changed back to UAH for the UA banking system and then changed again to your local currency when the charge hits your local banking system. Always charge to your credit card in the local currency; never let the merchant do the conversion.

34 minutes ago, racknlube said:

We were in Ukraine last year, about this time, and did our tips in leftover Ukrainian currency plus American money.

Good for paying the tips but not as good an idea for paying your on board account. If they will let you pay part in cash and then put the balance on your credit card, then give them whatever you want in UAH and then the rest on your card in UAH.

Hi Nanna Fru - you’ll be happy to hear that in Kiev also the even numbered cabins faced the water, with beautiful views of the island and the lighted bridges. The colors of the closest bridge change constantly and put on quite a show!!

To all who have been discussing money issues - one more thing about $$. I had some euros and a 5 pound note left over from previous travel. I added enough US$ to make about $35 worth and exchanged it all for grubinas. Can you believe that was all the cash we spent on the whole trip, including souvenirs, beer, and 2 admissions to the Golden Gate, which we did on our own. On the day we left I had 15 grubinas left, which I left for the room steward.  

On subject of tipping - I did prepay our tips, so the only tipping I did was an additional $20 and the 15 grubinas to the stewards, who silently cleaned and straightened our room every time we left it, and a single US $ to the bus driver every time we had a bus ride as we were told the were not included in shipwide tipping.  

Thoughts on Viking Sineus cruise Odessa to Kiev.

Note: From 2020 Sineus will cruise between Tulcea and Kiev (with all day bussing between Tulcea and Bucharest with lunch in Constanta)

Restaurant: There are many window-side tables for two, also some tables on the deck outside. Unusually, all the wait-staff were female and all local, i.e. Ukrainian. All spoke English good enough to do the job but general conversation strained them. Maitre d’ Tim is from Netherlands.

Executive chef Pawel and Maitre d’ Tim walk the tables chatting with guests

Food: Every day for dinner there’s a Ukrainian starter, main and dessert, plus 2 of each course international recipes, and the ‘always available’ choices of Caesar salad, Norwegian Salmon, Sirloin steak, Roast Chicken. Ask your waitress about the Ukrainian dishes as they are all local; some they swoon over because their mum made it, another fancifully named dessert was dismissed as a bit of pastry with cream on it.

For lunch every day there’s a self serve buffet choice, plus a waitress serving of soup followed by choice of two main courses and 2 or 3 desserts, plus the ‘always available’ lunch choices of Salad ‘Nicoise’, Cheeseburger, Beef Hot Dog and Chocolate Mousse.

Soups are particularly good.

At breakfast there’s a large buffet selection with egg chefs and also choices that can be ordered from waitress.

There are two self-serve buffets with the same offerings, with breads, fruit, nuts, porridge along the wall between them. 

Wines: Included wines at lunch and dinner are Ukrainian and are Saperavi (red) and Chardonnay (white). The Saperavi is full bodied and fruity. Too many of the Chardonnay are oxidised to various degrees, some too much to be drinkable. Unlisted but available if asked for is Pinot Grigio which is crisp and dry and far superior. 

The sparkling wine served at receptions, Explorer Club & etc is a vast improvement on the house German Sekt served on other cruises. It’s a Ukrainian Brut fizz from Shabo winery, made by the Charmat method, from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
There’s a large wine list; the most expensive which is UAH 1370 (£45), a rare Ukrainian white from Shabo Winery, made from the Telti_Kuruk, grown in the Shabo area and there’s only about 70Ha. Despite their website, it is not available at Kiev airport duty free)

Main-deck Rooms: These have two large windows that can be opened. They are not on the waterline as per Longships, but there is a walkway outside. It’s mostly used by the crew. Most of these rooms are separated by the reception, library, computer area and shop. The eight  EX rooms at the front are inexplicably the least expensive yet larger than the rest, though some have a pillar in them.

Middle and Upper deck Rooms: Rooms on the middle and upper deck have verandas. These are much larger than on Longships and thus have room for proper chairs and table.

Ship: The Sineus is decorated up to Viking standards, with livery, crockery, cutlery and wine glasses the same as used elsewhere.

Public Rooms: There were 120 people on our cruise, the ship can take 196, yet the Sky lounge on the top deck where daily dock talks and Chefs dinner descriptions, and entertainments take place, was full. I don’t know how a full ship would cope.

There was also the Panorama Bar at the front of the ship with a narrow seating area outside on the upper deck.

Lift: there is a lift to all passenger room floors plus the sun deck/Sky lounge bar.  This was installed by Viking in the ‘vikingisation’ of the boat. Its sister ship, Dnieper Princess doesn’t have a lift.

Stairs: There are stairs by reception that go up to upper passenger room deck, and steps at rear of boat that go to up to the top deck sun deck and Sky Lounge bar. The stairs are steep with narrow steps and I often used the lift, which I have never used on Longships.

Mobility: I don’t think this trip would be suitable for those who couldn’t walk up stairs and who wanted to take tours as some moorings required use of stairs, some not in the best condition.

Rooms: The rooms are larger than Longships, and look similar. Missing is the night light in the shower room and instead of a glass partition is a shower curtain. The shower room was equipped with L’Occitane shower gel, shampoo etc. The in-room safe is smaller and I don’t think would take a lap-top sized computer. Bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well.

River: The Dnieper is wide most of the way, thanks to lake formed by dams along the way. At its widest it’s 35km; the stretch near Kiev is the narrowest. 

Locks: Five along route, deepest is Zaporozhye at 108 metres.

Bridges: There are two low double deck bridges that have the lower section in the middle raised so boat can pass under. Cruise is timed around when they are opened.

Mooring. Most time, including the long stay at Odessa and the two night stay at Kiev, the port side was against the bank. Two stops moored starboard side but tours left minutes after mooring and the boat departed minutes after tours returned. There was no ‘rafting’. There is only one other ‘hotel boat’ on the river – the Dnieper Princess which is used by several tour companies and is a sister ship to Sineus –   that was moored on the same dock at Odessa but departed before us and we didn’t see it again. Which side boat is moored at Odessa will depend on which jetty they have to use.

You can see Potemkin steps from boat and its a short walk using a bridge and underpass under a roadway. There’s a funicular is you don’t want to climb up the steps. The walking tour guide will show and explain the steps optical illusion and its meaning.

Steps are now known as Potemkin after Segei Eisenstein’s 1925 movie ‘Battleship Potemkin’ about the 1905 mutiny that set of the Russian revolution. It’s supposed to be one of the world’s greatest movies. We bought DVD to view before cruise, but we found it hard going as it’s a silent movie and it illustrates a story the audience would have known. The sequence shot on the steps is what made the film famous. 

Boat departs Odessa at midnight. Canapés and large glasses of brandy are served on sun desk in celebration.

Included Tours: I think they struggled to find places, lots of cathedrals. The Akkerman Fortress tour from Odessa is scheduled at 5 hours, but the journey takes a minimum of two hours each way on very bumpy roads. One can sign up to an extended time at the fortress and get a packed lunch but general consensus was that a longer time wasn’t needed. From 2020 seems there’s an optional tour to the Akkerman which includes a visit to and lunch at Shabo winery. 

Tour groups were split into 4 but were too large to get everyone into places.

Optional Tours: Those with spaces available may be booked on board, they are priced in UAH, between UAH 1370 – UAH 2490. 

Tour Guides: There are 5 and they are part of the ship’s crew so we have the same guides every day. They live onboard and will join guests at meal times.

Coaches: The same coaches are used every day with the same drivers. The drivers travel each day along the river side. Thus only need to tip at end, as they are not included in on-board gratuities.

Gratuities: All apart from the bus drivers are covered by on-board gratuities. If not included or pre-paid the recommended amounts will be added to your account and can be paid for by cash or card in UAH or in your own currency (which is probably not as advantageous as paying in UAH and at the card company exchange rate.)

Programme Director: We were extremely lucky to have the fantastic Oliver Groszer. He is a bundle of energy and has talents that include juggling, amazing magic tricks, funny stories, singing and dancing. Not to mention serving tacos at the buffet. When the Cossacks need a volunteer to hold a reed to be broken by a Cossack with a bull whip, Oliver was there. I could say much more about him but I don’t want to spoil the surprises to those lucky enough to have him. The crew are tight-lipped about his background because he will reveal all on the last day.

Airports: We flew from London on Lot Polish airlines. We were concerned about making the 90 minute connection at Warsaw but we did and our bags arrived at Odessa. (Make sure you follow signs for transfers – don’t follow other passengers through immigration). About a dozen people on pre-cruise extensions didn’t receive their bags till the second afternoon. I don’t have details; I think some came from Vienna on Austrian air.

We left from Kiev airport. This is unpleasant. It took 50-55 minutes to get to airport from ship. Then to get into airport you have to queue to lift your bags onto X-ray machine and go through security scanner. Viking have staff there and they directed the coach to the far entrance where the queue was much less. 

After checking in you have to go through security. Then you get to passport control. There were 10 desks open with such long lines that they took up the entire call and it was hard to find the end of a queue. The lines moved at a glacial pace. Although the lines were wide with groups, people – even kids – had to go separately to the desk. Reason seems that for Ukrainians a passport is not enough; they need supporting documentation. Some have it ready in their hands; others have to search for it when they get to desk. Then officer has to read the certificates etc. 

I strongly suggest that the Viking bus group sticks together in one queue. The first person won’t be seen any quicker, but the rest will because foreigners just need to get a stamp in their passport.

There is a fast line both here and the preceding security, sponsored by Mastercard. But you can only pay for this with a Mastercard issued by a Ukrainian bank. Business Class flyers can’t use fast line.

Once you’ve wasted so much time hopefully you won’t have missed your flight. Airside is quite good, with a selection of restaurants and shops

I used Bucharest airport a few weeks before and that was a dream compared with Kiev. If I do this cruise again, I will go the opposite way; I won’t depart from Kiev.

Odessa or Odesa? One or two ‘s’s? Both are correct, the Cyrillic Russian language spelling of Odessa uses two, the Cyrillic Ukrainian language one. Both Latin spellings  are used on signs. 

What have I missed? Ask away!!

3 hours ago, pontac said:

Middle and Upper deck Rooms: Rooms on the middle and upper deck have verandas. These are much larger than on Longships and thus have room for proper chairs and table.

Before Viking refurbished the ship, that space was a promenade.

image.png.1397e1c56ec591c243c5c74d7c50024c.png

4 hours ago, pontac said:

We left from Kiev airport. This is unpleasant.

Damning with faint praise. Worst airport in Europe. Nasty people. Not visitor friendly in the least.

4 hours ago, pontac said:

Main-deck Rooms: These have two large windows that can be opened.

Yes, but you don't want to open them or sleep with them open unless you wish to wake up coated with insects.

Our cabin pre-Vikingization; Pullman beds and a "yacht-style shower."  The cabins on the Sineus are probably as large as they are because of the position and size of the windows, which cannot be altered.

image.png.07967f8b0a59d85b8dd8dc50a6bc4c68.png

If you want to see more old pictures of the Sineus in its days as the Lomonosov: https://ukrainefootstepsofthecossack.shutterfly.com/shipandcrew

4 minutes ago, pontac said:

BTW - I can't post an extended version of this in Cruise Reviews because neither Viking Sineus nor Ukraine can be selected...

Write to help@cruisecritic.com and tell them.

FANTASTIC REVIEW! THANK YOU!!

52 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, but you don't want to open them or sleep with them open unless you wish to wake up coated with insects.

Only last night/day was there an infestation of something like mayflies. Other times we had no problem, tho' not in cabin for long when not sleeping.

More important when you are not in cabin or are in  sleeping is security as there is a walkway (promenade) outside the room.

Wow Pontac!!  What a great review!!  For me, one of the best things about the trip was meeting you!!

There is almost nothing I can add, but of course I’ll try:

Bandura concert on board with four lovely lady players, plus bass and drums. Just excellent!!

Optional excursion to the neglected Soviet Space Agency a real eye opener. They seem to have won the space race with primitive equipment and incredible dedication. 

Ponies dressed as unicorns and horses made up as giraffes were giving rides on the pedestrian street in Odessa. The city’s air of faded opulence was so seductive it was my favorite city, even above much more exciting and interesting Kiev!

Home hosted visit in Kremenchug was a window into Ukrainian history. The family we visited had been “collectived” and Decollectivized.

Three kinds of yogurt and ship made kefir served daily at breakfast and fresh fruit at every meal!

loved this trip!!

7 hours ago, pontac said:

post review here...

I am glad you posted your review on this forum as I saw it immediately. Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed review.

I am wondering how you spent your free time in Kiev and Odessa. I would welcome suggestions too if you heard passengers talk about an interesting sight in those two cities.  For example, did anyone try to go to the Museum of the Ukraine in WWII?

1 hour ago, Horsedds said:

Optional excursion to the neglected Soviet Space Agency a real eye opener. They seem to have won the space race with primitive equipment and incredible dedication. 

Just wondering in what city a visit was made to the Space Museum/Agency, the cost, and length of time at the sight. That attraction sounds interesting.

We visited a Space Museum in Moscow on our Scenic River Cruise and we really enjoyed that visit. We looked at a lot of capsules, space equipment, experiments, raves about their "firsts" achievements in space, and could eat food astronauts ate in the museum restaurant. Scenic had also made arrangements for us to meet a retired astronaut who spoke to our group. He also administered the museum.  It was a memorable visit. Does your visit to the Space Agency sound anything like our visit to the Space Museum in Moscow? 

14 minutes ago, Glorybe said:

Just wondering in what city a visit was made to the Space Museum/Agency, the cost, and length of time at the sight. That attraction sounds interesting.

We visited a Space Museum in Moscow on our Scenic River Cruise and we really enjoyed that visit. We looked at a lot of capsules, space equipment, experiments, raves about their "firsts" achievements in space, and could eat food astronauts ate in the museum restaurant. Scenic had also made arrangements for us to meet a retired astronaut who spoke to our group. He also administered the museum.  It was a memorable visit. Does your visit to the Space Agency sound anything like our visit to the Space Museum in Moscow? 

Space Museum was in Dnipro!  Yes, sounds very similar!

22 minutes ago, Glorybe said:

I am glad you posted your review on this forum as I saw it immediately. Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed review.

I am wondering how you spent your free time in Kiev and Odessa. I would welcome suggestions too if you heard passengers talk about an interesting sight in those two cities.  For example, did anyone try to go to the Museum of the Ukraine in WWII?

Free time in Kiev was spent finding and visiting the Golden Gate, which was a main focus for us, as we love that piece of music. And just walking around with a map, marveling at the fantastically beautiful city. In Odessa, we went out and up the gorgeous steps early every morning, then just explored!  In the evening we took a horsecarriage ride outside of the Opera. If you go, say hi to Albert (the horse!) for me!!

9 hours ago, pontac said:

Tour groups (had 120 people on ship) were split into 4 but were too large to get everyone into places.

Gosh what was the wait like for toilet use with 4 buses? Did the bus stop at places for restroom use or did passengers have to buy something at a cafe in order to use the cafe's toilets? 

1 hour ago, Horsedds said:

In Odessa, we went out and up the gorgeous steps early every morning, then just explored!  In the evening we took a horsecarriage ride outside of the Opera

I am not clear if the Opera in Odessa is included as a Viking excursion (ie no additional charge), or is the night at the Opera an optional excursion (need to pay for it). Thanks for your many replies to this forum!

25 minutes ago, Glorybe said:

he night at the Opera an optional excursion (need to pay for it).

Yes, as optional excursion. We saw Don Giovanni when we were there, full production, not a one hour show just for tourists.  Make sure to see the Grand Stairway.

We were seated in the section of the far left of the picture, where the two men are standing by the railing. It also shows you how people dress for the opera.

image.png.ff3addabefe230961bc1828dd15b9623.png

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, as optional excursion. We saw Don Giovanni when we were there, full production, not a one hour show just for tourists.  Make sure to see the Grand Stairway.

Wow, we just saw Don Giovanni too - at the Opera House in Lviv! It was in Italian of course, with a marquee screen over the stage flashing the Ukrainian translation. Chris was fine of course, but neither one helped me... She kept me up to speed with what was going on, and it was quite enjoyable.

I was struck by how similar your picture looks to mine - there must be a standard design for opera houses. This is Lviv. Looks like it could be a mirror image!

2019_05%20Ukraine-304-L.jpg