Leaving Saturday and DH sprained his ankle!

AlaskaNewbie68

Trying to stay positive and praying he is better by Saturday. Right now he's using crutches but can put some weight on it. He has waited 20 years for this trip and survived an aortic dissection two years ago. I just want him to enjoy the trip to its fullest!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh no! Can he use a walking boot? I broke my ankle right before we left for a trip to Spain last year. I was able to use a walking boot and able to do a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in the airport we will get assistance. He is against a wheelchair. Trying to convince him of using one of those knee scooters. We will see how he is tonight. The walking boot is a good idea I will look into. Thanks!

I don't know what airline you have but last year when my wife had a leg injury towards end of vacation in Cancun Delta was tremendous. Had someone meet us at both airports, had wheelchair ready, they helped us through security and boarding in Cancun, were waiting for us in Boston and met us on the plane and stayed with us until we were in the car. Tell him to take advantage at least until you have arrived and are out of airport.

Literally, just last week, we'd walk between 3~4 miles a day on the ship just grabbing meals and attending one or two activities. A scooter whilst onboard might be your best option and I urge you, without delay, to check with your TA or the cruiseline about adjustments they can make.

In 2012 we went to Alaska as a family vacation. My husband fell and broke his tibia, fibula, and ankle a few weeks before we left. He had a knee scooter for the trip and it worked perfectly. He was on the knee scooter for almost 16 weeks recovering.

Unless you're planning on going on 5 mile hikes everywhere, this should not put a major damper on your trip. What it will force you to do is slow down and enjoy your vacation. We sometimes plan too many things on cruises and we don't get to enjoy our surroundings. He should never have to spend more than a few minutes walking on the ship going from point A to Point B. He will be able to stop and rest a little if he wants. While on land he won't be able to walk as fast or as far. Slow down and enjoy your surroundings. Alaska is such a beautiful place. It's really unfortunate that he got hurt but this injury could end up being a blessing in that it will allow you to see/experience things that you might not have otherwise.

Trying to stay positive and praying he is better by Saturday. Right now he's using crutches but can put some weight on it. He has waited 20 years for this trip and survived an aortic dissection two years ago. I just want him to enjoy the trip to its fullest!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a similar experience recently. My mom has wanted to go to Alaska for 30 years or more, and we finally got there on May 28th. Just before the trip, she got tendinitis in her arm. It had enough time to heal before the trip, but then she somehow hurt her knee on the way to Alaska. We ended up renting a wheelchair. It was SO much better than her creeping along with a walker. We were able to do much more. I think the knee scooter might be a good idea. You can see if you can rent one just while on the ship as it is quite a walk from forward to aft areas if you are hurting. We used a company called Scoot Around, and they were able to get us something with only about 48 hours notice. Also, they will give him wheelchair assistance up and down gangways if he needs it.