Chair Hogs

Psssttt.....chair hog, ever wonder what happened to your towel/s? lmao

On our cruise last month, one day at around 5:30am this woman shows up by the pool and reserves an entire row of 10 deck chairs with towels. A few minutes after she left, I took as much of her towels as I could carry (8 of them)....I ended up putting them on Ebay when we returned home. The funny part was that when I got back to my cabin, I could see her arguing with a person who seemed like a deck supervisor all dressed in white on the Pool Deck camera TV channel. This was on the Carnival Splendor. Carnival charges you $22 for "lost" towels.

Perhaps NCL, Princess, HAL etc......should start doing the same, charging you for the beach towels if you do not return them.

Wouldn’t that be the best way to deal with it? It avoids the customer free-for-all, and the associated confrontations that come from customers taking matters into their own hands...

NCL allows a guest (Guest #1) to leave their items for up to 1 hour. Guest #2 shows up and decides "...I've waited a few minutes, so I'll move the items and take the chair...". Guest #2 is also the first to call Guest #1 a "chair hog".

In the above scenario, Guest #2 is wrong...no matter how many CC members agree with Guest #2.

When Guest #2 decides to create and enforce rules that aren't against NCL's policy, there will always be problems.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Yeah, their solution will be to install parking meters next to each chair. Once your time expires with payment, you lose it. Listen, if people want to claim a chair then simply get up earlier than the next guy and claim one.

Parking meters are certainly better than a rat race a 4 AM to claim chairs to be enjoyed at 9.

I've proposed before, but will again, a simple, tiny light on each chair. Push the button and it will be on for the next 30 or so minutes. So, if you need to visit the bathroom and plan to come back, push it and the chair remains yours.

All the crew has to do is to remove stuff from chairs where the light is off. No exceptions, "these are the rules, madam and I do understand that you cruised 78 times. Please go to guest relations if you think it's unfair, I must follow very strict rules." That would solve everything.

People have stated that there are plenty of other seats. Under this rule you can feel free to leave a towel or book on the non-prime chairs. But the prime seats are body in chair only. Need a drink? Need to get something from your room? Under this rule that’s a good time for you to give someone else a chance for a prime chair and go get one of the plentiful non prime seats.

Some of us don't like to sit by the pool, but like to sit in the shade, so you are saying those seats are okay to hog?

There is only one solution that is fair for every passengers and that is for NCL to enforce the rule that they have and that is that chairs can not be left unattended for X amount of time (some say it is 30 minutes and some say it is 45 minutes).

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've proposed before, but will again, a simple, tiny light on each chair. Push the button and it will be on for the next 30 or so minutes. So, if you need to visit the bathroom and plan to come back, push it and the chair remains yours.

The light would need to be for 1 hour but...

All the crew has to do is to remove stuff from chairs where the light is off. No exceptions, "these are the rules, madam and I do understand that you cruised 78 times. Please go to guest relations if you think it's unfair, I must follow very strict rules." That would solve everything.

...you know that people will unscrew/damage the light-bulbs, grab a staff member and say "Hey, the light is off...can you move these things?";p

...you know that people will unscrew/damage the light-bulbs, grab a staff member and say "Hey, the light is off...can you move these things?";p

I remember when stickers were put on chairs and folks would send someone down to take their sticker off the chair, so they had more time to hog.

With today’s modern technology this should be easy to sort out.

There is a gizmo with your cabin number on it and a timer. You rent it for a nominal sum (returnable deposit) and it has a light on it which goes out after 30 minutes. If you wish to use a lounger in a public area, you put your gizmo on the chair and start the timer. Any gizmos with no light on and nobody on the chair are cleared away by the staff and you need to then re-hire the gizmo. This also allows staff to keep your sole flip-flop/book/towel with the gizmo and enables them to be reclaimed.

Not a large initial investment for the cruise line and a solution to a perennial problem (and perhaps an income stream to boot).

An HOUR? What for?

It wouldn't be unnoticed, and then there are enough cameras, or at least people thinking there are cameras to solve that.

An HOUR? What for?

That's what the current NCL policy is.

It wouldn't be unnoticed, and then there are enough cameras, or at least people thinking there are cameras to solve that.

Since people don't worry about cameras at 4am when they are (wrongfully) staking their claim, I doubt that people will worry about "accidentally" disabling a light. Wrongdoers always find a way...:(

Psssttt.....chair hog, ever wonder what happened to your towel/s? lmao

On our cruise last month, one day at around 5:30am this woman shows up by the pool and reserves an entire row of 10 deck chairs with towels. A few minutes after she left, I took as much of her towels as I could carry (8 of them)....I ended up putting them on Ebay when we returned home. The funny part was that when I got back to my cabin, I could see her arguing with a person who seemed like a deck supervisor all dressed in white on the Pool Deck camera TV channel. This was on the Carnival Splendor. Carnival charges you $22 for "lost" towels.

Perhaps NCL, Princess, HAL etc......should start doing the same, charging you for the beach towels if you do not return them.

If you're telling the truth, I have to give you a high five on that one! That's hilarious!!! We are a family of four. We are always early risers, even on weekends. We are always up by 6 on cruises. We normally grab out stuff and backpacks and head to the pool deck. We claim 2 chairs, none for the kids. We put our stuff down and walk into lido for breakfast. Usually takes about 30 minutes to eat and then go back to our chairs before 70% of the ship is even up. It's one thing to do it out way, which I feel many do, then there is the other. Going on pool deck and claiming 10 chairs for 10 people that aren't there and don't plan on being there for three hours. I'd just move the towels if I saw the loungers unused for an hour max.

If anyone ever came up with a WORKABLE solution to chair hogging I am sure that the cruise industry would be happy to pay for it and they would also get a big thank you from all of the regular cruisers world wide.

There is no solution required. Chairs are always available.

If you're telling the truth, I have to give you a high five on that one! That's hilarious!!! We are a family of four. We are always early risers, even on weekends. We are always up by 6 on cruises. We normally grab out stuff and backpacks and head to the pool deck. We claim 2 chairs, none for the kids. We put our stuff down and walk into lido for breakfast. Usually takes about 30 minutes to eat and then go back to our chairs before 70% of the ship is even up. It's one thing to do it out way, which I feel many do, then there is the other. Going on pool deck and claiming 10 chairs for 10 people that aren't there and don't plan on being there for three hours. I'd just move the towels if I saw the loungers unused for an hour max.

Honest truth!

If Carnival followed their own policy posted inside the cabins that "missing" beach/pool towels are charged

$22 each to the passenger's shipboard account, that day Carnival "sold" 8 towels to that idiot passenger netting

Carnival $176.00

If anyone ever came up with a WORKABLE solution to chair hogging I am sure that the cruise industry would be happy to pay for it and they would also get a big thank you from all of the regular cruisers world wide.[/q

I originally asked this question because on a cruise a couple of years ago we went during the super bows and my mother in law and wife were sitting in a couple of chairs so that I could watch the game (they were physically in the chairs, not leaving things there to save them for me). When I returned from my excursion and told them to forget it there was a person who I overheard say "grab those chairs and we can go ashore for a couple of hours and come back and have a place to watch the game from".

These are the type of people who are only about themselves and care little about those of us who payed for the same cruise and want an equal chance to use the same facilities as everyone else.

The problem is not people hogging chairs. The problem is that too many people think they have to have a chair right next to the pool, and unfortunately there is a finite amount of deck space near the pool. You can always find seats to lay out that are a bit removed from the pool.

There is no solution required. Chairs are always available.

If you are referring to chairs anywhere on the boat, then you are correct but way off topic. If you are referring to deck chairs, then chairs in areas you want to sit, are not always available. For example, people like me who need shade. Or families with small children who have a legitimate need to have a seat very near to the pool.

Just because this isn't a problem to you doesn't give you the arrogant right to dismiss it as a problem for others.

The problem is not people hogging chairs. The problem is that too many people think they have to have a chair right next to the pool, and unfortunately there is a finite amount of deck space near the pool. You can always find seats to lay out that are a bit removed from the pool.
While you are correct, that doesn't make it right to throw your fanny pack on a chair next to the pool and then disappear for extended periods of time depriving others the use of that chair.

I liked Carnivals solution (though not sure how long it lasted) of putting time stickers on empty (hogged) chairs. If staff later saw a sticker past it's "time" they removed the items and the chair was free again. I believe 40 mins was their time limit. Enough for lunch on a sea day?

Also, I'd love to see cubbies and hooks near the pool/hottubs. Somewhere for my flip flops, towel, and book. Prevent a nearby chair from being used.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk