Live from Viking Sun "Into the Midnight Sun" June 12 - 26

russg140

I am so disappointed for you that you are missing the Shetlands. However Viking can't control the weather and I am glad they are keeping you safe and entertained. We have been watching the ship's progress on Marine Traffic and the weather on Windy. There have indeed been a series of low pressures causing gale force winds and big seas. I recall last year a ship had to skip Lerwick due to high winds and another sailed all the way to Honningsvag but did not dock because of approaching weather. It happens.

I am curious - trying to figure the reason the pools and jacuzzis are closed. Is it because the water is sloshing about?

Another question - do you have wifi while way out at sea? It is satellite so I would think yes but...

Thank you for your live reports.

Water is still sloshing around in the pools. But, pools are closed for safety reasons. With the bumpy ride, you could fall and get hurt when we hit a big wave. Winds have calmed down today and the outside walking decks are open.

Yes, there is wifi most of the time.

Rhonda

Also live on the Viking Sea. We flew into Bergen. It was an easy 15 minute walk from the ship to the Floyben Funicular. Amazing views from atop the mountain.

Price was 95 NOK, $12. US, return (round trip.) Significantly less money than Vikings tour.

In Geiranger, we took Geiranger Fjord Service 3 hours deluxe bus panoramic tour. Cost $63 per person. Vikings tour was $179. Small bus. We made 4 stops, including top of Mount Dalsnibba(sp?). Dress warmly. Weather was 51 and drizzling at the bottom, and 37 degrees and sleeting and high winds at the top. Again, amazing views of the fjords.

GFS was who we used as well. Their pricing was better than Viking’s. Service was excellent!

Russ

I am so disappointed for you that you are missing the Shetlands. However Viking can't control the weather and I am glad they are keeping you safe and entertained. We have been watching the ship's progress on Marine Traffic and the weather on Windy. There have indeed been a series of low pressures causing gale force winds and big seas. I recall last year a ship had to skip Lerwick due to high winds and another sailed all the way to Honningsvag but did not dock because of approaching weather. It happens.

I am curious - trying to figure the reason the pools and jacuzzis are closed. Is it because the water is sloshing about?

Another question - do you have wifi while way out at sea? It is satellite so I would think yes but...

Thank you for your live reports.

TL

Yes. With the movement of the ship it would have been completely unsafe. The pool and jacuzzi in the Spa were also closed.

WiFi works pretty good, some times better than it others but I suspect that is due to the amount of users online.

Thanks for all the great questions!

Russ

Also live on the Viking Sea. We flew into Bergen. It was an easy 15 minute walk from the ship to the Floyben Funicular. Amazing views from atop the mountain.

Price was 95 NOK, $12. US, return (round trip.) Significantly less money than Vikings tour.

In Geiranger, we took Geiranger Fjord Service 3 hours deluxe bus panoramic tour. Cost $63 per person. Vikings tour was $179. Small bus. We made 4 stops, including top of Mount Dalsnibba(sp?). Dress warmly. Weather was 51 and drizzling at the bottom, and 37 degrees and sleeting and high winds at the top. Again, amazing views of the fjords.

Thank you for posting your review! Could you use a credit card to pay for the funicular?

Yesterday stayed rainy and windy, although by the end of the day the seas, while still rough, had calmed down a good deal. I had an amazing facial (wait, did I already mention this? So confused...LOL!) and my husband had an equally wonderful massage.

I signed up for the French Wine tasting ($59, even with the Silver Spirits package); it was okay. Two whites, two reds and a Sauternes. If you don’t know a lot about wine you might learn something. The “food pairings” were little more than a plate you could cobble together at the World Cafe. Well, it was something to do for an hour. I had signed up for the Premuim Wine Tasting but went to Guest Services to cancel. [The young lady asked if everything was okay (i.e. why was I canceling) and I told her yes, that I just wasn’t used to drinking wine in the afternoon.]

I spent some time in the gym, but my heart wasn’t in it so I stopped after 40 minutes.

Cocktails once again in the Explorers Lounge without so much rocking and rolling. Dinner was our first at The Chef’s Table - “Asian Panorama”. Excellent! Justin, the Head Waiter was very friendly and seated us promptly. Keep in mind that we eat late, 8:30, after the dinner rush. The pace of the meal was perfect, and the portions and wine pairings equally so. Our waiter William and sommelier George were great. We were in and out of the restaurant in an hour.

A note about Chefs Table on this cruise: there are 7 menus (I believe) that change every 2 days. If you have the Silver Spirits package your wine pairings are Premium. Again the service, food and wine were all wonderful.

Today is an (unplanned) day at sea. The seas have calmed even further but it’s overcast and chilly. I had a fantastic massage with Carl, who spent a lot of time on my shoulder that I’ve been having trouble with for months. Tonight we are participating in the Norwegian Bath Ritual (8:00-9:30 p.m.) so no cocktails and dinner will be in the World Cafe.

Tomorrow is in Kirkwall, Scotland.

Thanks for providing info on the shore excursions. Also, please continue providing the information for the private tours you are taking.

Do you have any info on Portals to the Arctic, Ascent of Mt Ulriken, Orkney's Stone Age, Monuments of London, and London & and the London Eye.

Regarding local currency, you mentioned using cash for tips. What is the customary amount for tipping local guides. We are not shoppers so probably would need cash only for tips

Loving all the info we are receiving from those on this trip now.

Elizabeth

I apologize for not replying sooner.

We had booked a waterfall hike that, due to the lack of participants, was cancelled. So instead we walked around town and were back on board in 20 minutes. Nothing really interesting in town. If you have a tour booked that you find interesting, then I would say stick with it. My understanding is that most of the ship’s tours took people out of town.

Russ

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The sun is shining and we’re on land. Great private tour today with David Murdoch of Orkney Tailor Made Tours. We toured the neolythic sights of Skara Brae, Skull House, Ring of Bodgar, and Standing Stones of Stenness. Lunch of soup and sandwiches at Standing Stones Hotel.

Visited the Italian Chapel, Saint Magnus. Cathedral, drove along the Scappa Flow, and strolled downtown Kirkwall. David was an excellent guide and enveloped us in the history of Orkney.

Rhonda

What is the Norwegian Bath Ritual? And thanks to all for the continued coverage of the cruise.

DHS

The Nordic Bathing ritual was offered three times during the cruise, held 8:00-9:30 p.m. after the Spa is closed. Two of the Spa team members lead the group (ours was 6) through the steps of traditional Nordic “bathing” including the steam room, snow grotto and a bunch of great skincare products you get to take with you. At the end each participant is given a complimentary foot,hand or scalp massage. It was a lot of fun and only $39.

Hope that helps!

Russ

I am so glad you have been able to enjoy the spa. How is the availability of times and treatments?

Grady

It’s always best to sign up as early as possible to get the best times. That being said I booked my massage (for our “bonus” sea day) the day before. (NB: there is a male massage therapist on board, which almost all other cruise lines don’t offer. His contract is up in 2 weeks and I don’t know if he is being replaced by another male therapist. If you prefer a male therapist, and there is one on board you need to specifically ask for him. Carl was excellent!)

Treatments include massages, facials, mani/pedi, etc. prices are somewhat more reasonable compared to what we have paid on other ships.

Remember: the Thermal Suite is complimentary and available to all guests. Personally it is one of the best perks of the cruise. Every other ship we have been on charges you to use it.

Any other questions let me know!

Russ

Can you provide the inside dimensions of the cabin safe?

T2018

As Snoopy said it can accommodate an IPad, camera jewelry and other personal property without issue. Like most in room safes you set the locking mechanism to an individual code chosen by you.

Russ

Thanks for providing info on the shore excursions. Also, please continue providing the information for the private tours you are taking.

Do you have any info on Portals to the Arctic, Ascent of Mt Ulriken, Orkney's Stone Age, Monuments of London, and London & and the London Eye.

T2018

I don’t but have to say that thus far Viking’s descriptions have been pretty spot on (see my notes about today’s excursion to Yesnaby and Sara Brae).

Regarding the London Eye excursion: we wanted to take the tour offered in the evening and, when we boarded the ship, the excursion was on “waitlist “ status. The person at the Shore Excursion desk said we were first on the list. We got our tickets yesterday. I just mention that to say that if this is something you want to do then book early for best times.

Russ

Regarding local currency, you mentioned using cash for tips. What is the customary amount for tipping local guides. We are not shoppers so probably would need cash only for tips

Loving all the info we are receiving from those on this trip now.

HBG

Currency in UK (England and Scotland) is the British pound, Norway is the Norwegian kroner. We tipped our Scottish guides in Euro and it was gratefully accepted and appreciated.

Tipping is always a personal choice; some people choose not to tip at all others tip what they feel is appropriate. With one exception we tipped our guides/drivers. Keep in mind: most of these people rely on tourism and tourists for their livelihood and work hard to provide you with a wonderful service. In response it seems only appropriate to acknowledge their service with a gratuity.

To specifically answer your question: I would tip more for a smaller group tour and a longer tour than I would for a larger tour or shorter tour. Having said that our guides today were excellent and gave a full bus load of us a great experience, which we felt merited a bit more.

Again, it’s totally personal. Vague, but I hope this helps.

Russ

Was there a shuttle from the ship to town in Kirkwall? It looks like The Sea is not docked close. Thank everyone for their responses and valuable info.

TL

Yes. There was one right at the dock.

Russ

HBG

Currency in UK (England and Scotland) is the British pound, Norway is the Norwegian kroner. We tipped our Scottish guides in Euro and it was gratefully accepted and appreciated.

Tipping is always a personal choice; some people choose not to tip at all others tip what they feel is appropriate. With one exception we tipped our guides/drivers. Keep in mind: most of these people rely on tourism and tourists for their livelihood and work hard to provide you with a wonderful service. In response it seems only appropriate to acknowledge their service with a gratuity.

To specifically answer your question: I would tip more for a smaller group tour and a longer tour than I would for a larger tour or shorter tour. Having said that our guides today were excellent and gave a full bus load of us a great experience, which we felt merited a bit more.

Again, it’s totally personal. Vague, but I hope this helps.

Russ

Thanks, Russ. I was looking more for a percentage perhaps only so I could have an idea of how much cash I should get from the ATM upon arrival in Norway. We do tip more than the customary when we get great service. Important to support the locals who add so much to our experiences.

Nola