Live from Viking Sun "Into the Midnight Sun" June 12 - 26

russg140

So this will be my last post, unless anyone has questions about the London Eye and/or disembarking.

Yesterday was a whirlwind: we were up and off by 8 to meet our private tour guide. The way it works is Viking uses the MBNA/River Bus boats instead of a tender to take you from the ship to the Greenwich pier. From there you take a different River Bus into London. We spent all day in town and got back to the ship by 4:45. It was fairly warm all day so we jumped in the pool, grabbed a G&T and went to get ready for our London Eye excursion. After a quick bite for dinner we headed off to the Star Theater and were soon on our way. It was about a half hour boat ride to get there and 15 minutes waiting to board. Each capsule had a guide and was air conditioned. It takes 30 minutes to go around but, of course, lots to see. Back on the shuttle to the ship, and once back we decided that we would pack the following morning and forego the luggage service. Turns out it was a lot easier.

We got up early, showered and dressed. After breakfast we packed and left the ship without any problem.

It was a great trip and I’ll be reviewing it this week.

Thanks to all of you who followed along and to those folks who jumped in with some thoughts of their own. I hope you had fun keeping up with our journey. Please let me know if you have any residual questions I can answer.

Cheers and happy sailing!

So this will be my last post, unless anyone has questions about the London Eye and/or disembarking.

Yesterday was a whirlwind: we were up and off by 8 to meet our private tour guide. The way it works is Viking uses the MBNA/River Bus boats instead of a tender to take you from the ship to the Greenwich pier. From there you take a different River Bus into London. We spent all day in town and got back to the ship by 4:45. It was fairly warm all day so we jumped in the pool, grabbed a G&T and went to get ready for our London Eye excursion. After a quick bite for dinner we headed off to the Star Theater and were soon on our way. It was about a half hour boat ride to get there and 15 minutes waiting to board. Each capsule had a guide and was air conditioned. It takes 30 minutes to go around but, of course, lots to see. Back on the shuttle to the ship, and once back we decided that we would pack the following morning and forego the luggage service. Turns out it was a lot easier.

We got up early, showered and dressed. After breakfast we packed and left the ship without any problem.

Thanks to all of you who followed along and to those folks who jumped in with some thoughts of their own. I hope you had fun keeping up with our journey. Please let me know if you have any residual questions I can answer.

Thanks for taking us along and answering everyone’s questions. We look forward to following in your wake on the July 7th cruise in the opposite direction. Safe travels!

Thanks to all of you who followed along and to those folks who jumped in with some thoughts of their own. I hope you had fun keeping up with our journey.

Russ,

Thanks to you for the time you spent keeping us all up to date on your journey. Your comments, insights, and answers to the many questions were most useful. We head to the airport in a couple hours, en route to boarding the Star on Saturday for our own Midnight Sun adventure.

I am sad your trip has ended and enjoyed all your posts. We are off tomorrow on the first leg of our journey to the Viking Star.

Question-was the luggage service that you declined the one where you have to be packed and have luggage outside your stateroom door by a certain time the night before?

Also would you please post here when and where to find your full review. Thanks and happy travels.

I want to thank everyone who participated in these posts for the Midnight Sun cruise. We have received invaluable and helpful information that will enhance our time on board the Viking Sky in July. The currency informations was particularly helpful. Happy Cruising! :*:*:*

Thanks for taking us along and answering everyone’s questions. We look forward to following in your wake on the July 7th cruise in the opposite direction. Safe travels!

Coco

I was my pleasure. Since this was my first Viking cruise I assumed that many others like me would have questions and I was happy to answer them. I wish you the best on your journey and if you make it to the Explorer's Lounge please tell Purwa, Goran and Arujun that the guys from New York say "hi!"

Russ

Russ,

Thanks to you for the time you spent keeping us all up to date on your journey. Your comments, insights, and answers to the many questions were most useful. We head to the airport in a couple hours, en route to boarding the Star on Saturday for our own Midnight Sun adventure.

SG

I'm sure, like me, you are excited to start your Viking journey, and I'm happy to hear I was able to help answer some of the questions you and others might have had. Don't know if you're starting in Bergen (as we did) or London, but either way be prepared to have a lot of fun and see a part of the world very few get to enjoy!

Russ

I am sad your trip has ended and enjoyed all your posts. We are off tomorrow on the first leg of our journey to the Viking Star.

Question-was the luggage service that you declined the one where you have to be packed and have luggage outside your stateroom door by a certain time the night before?

Also would you please post here when and where to find your full review. Thanks and happy travels.

TL

Glad you enjoyed the thread and will certainly let you all know when my review is posted.

Yes. We declined putting our luggage out the night before for several reasons. We took the "London Eye" tour in the evening which didn't get back until 9. At that point we headed for a final evening in the Explorer's Lounge. The other reason was that the ship is moored in the river and it was unclear exactly where the bags could be collected. For us it was just as easy to "throw" our bags together and leave after breakfast, managing our bags ourselves. Quite honestly we only had one bag each so it was totally manageable (we even hopped on the London tube with our bags to get to our hotel).

At the end of the day it seemed like more work to have to go up to the place where the bags could be collected only to have to come back down to jump on the shuttle boat. It's a personal call.

I wish you all the best on your Viking Star journey!

Russ

I have really enjoyed following your journey since I still have until the end of July for mine. I have been on one Viking Ocean journey but you added some new information and ideas for things to do on sea days and on the Chefs Table menus (Hated the one we did but will try the new ones now with more choice). I hope you do soon write your long review and I hope that those of you on the Midnight Sun cruise now and soon have time to tell us what you like and do.

Coco

I was my pleasure. Since this was my first Viking cruise I assumed that many others like me would have questions and I was happy to answer them. I wish you the best on your journey and if you make it to the Explorer's Lounge please tell Purwa, Goran and Arujun that the guys from New York say "hi!"

Russ

We’re onboard now... Purwa is amazing - remembered our names after Day 1 (and it’s not that we’re in the bar the whole time!). I will pass your message on tomorrow evening. :D

So as previously noted we are in Tromso today, having crossed the Arctic Circle around 3:00 p.m. The ship held a Blue Nose ceremony (similar to the Neptune Ceremony held when crossing the Equator). The jacuzzi next to the main pool was filled with ice and people who wanted to could dunk themselves in and when they got out they were given a dollop of blue-dyed whipped egg whites on their nose and a small shot of aquavit. Tons of folks participated! Yesterday afternoon we booked time with Sharon, the future cruise consultant, who is very knowledgeable about Viking, both River and Ocean. Long story short: we booked a Venice to Athens cruise for September ‘20. She’s booked solid, so if you are thinking of booking another cruise get on her schedule early.

Once again I have to say that dinner in The Restaurant was amazing, including probably the best tuna tartare I’ve ever had and sea bass perfectly cooked and served with a simple lemon, caper and parsley sauce. Trust me, if you don’t make it to Manfredi’s or CT you won’t be disappointed.

OH! We got a notice that they were offering the Kitchen Table event on our day in Edinburgh. Shopping with the chef, etc for $249 p.p. There’s so much to do and see in Edinburgh that I find it strange they would pick this day to do it. If they offered it in Molde we would have been first to sign up.

After dinners once again in the Explorers Lounge. If I didn’t mention it before all of the musicians they have playing here (string trio, guitarist and pianist) are all excellent!

Woke up to Sun! Wel, it’s always sunny now, but “ no clouds” is what I mean. After breakfast we hopped the shuttle to meet for our (independently arranged) RIB Adventure. We booked this one, instead of the one offered by Viking, because it was $75p.p. less expensive. It was fantastic! After we walked around for a bit. NOTE: everything in Tromso is closed on Sundays. Just FYI.

Now back onboard. Had a nice lunch at the Pool Grilll and took a swim in the Infinity pool. Hanging by the Main pool before heading off for a manicure. Then almost time to eat again!

Hello Russ, thank you for taking the time to write about the cruise! We sail On the Sky on July 7 from London. Can you tell us how feasible it is to book independent tours after disembarking at a port ? We were too late to book some of the better ones by Viking and still have a few holes in our itinerary. Thank you. Marion

• 2 weeks later...
Russ, btw, we are from Hudson Valley NY and are flying Norwegian and Ryan air to avoid going to JFK! Our fare was $850 RT, is that near what you paid ?

I would guess, but it's hard to say since Norwegian cancelled our GTW-JFK return trip and we then booked on Virgin (in their Premium Economy cabin) which was fantastic.

Hello Russ, thank you for taking the time to write about the cruise! We sail On the Sky on July 7 from London. Can you tell us how feasible it is to book independent tours after disembarking at a port ? We were too late to book some of the better ones by Viking and still have a few holes in our itinerary. Thank you. Marion

My apologies for replying to this so late and, while it may no longer be helpful since you've already left (hope you're having an amazing time!) maybe it will help someone in the future. There are tour offices in each port or if you do some research prior to arriving you can scope some out. The challenge might be timing: when their tour leaves and returns, but that can be easily overcome. I know there were places that offered tours in Geiranger, Tromso and Honnigsvag right at the port. Nothing I saw in Lofoten, Molde or Orkney.

Again, you might want to check out Trip Advisor for each port and at least have contact information at the ready.

Russ

We have booked the London Eye Tour. Do you have any recommendations for first time visitors to London? Any must see sites? Also, any recommendations for Viking or non-Viking tours in London?

Honestly we did all the tourist things (Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Cathedral, St. Paul's, British Museum, etc). If you haven't been to London they are the things to see. We did it all with a private guide which was expensive but totally worth it as he was able to answer all our questions and customized our visits based on our likes/dislikes. For example: we visited the BM towards the end of a long day and we were able to say to him "We just want to see x, y and z" and we he got us to each point of interest so we weren't spending a lot of time wandering aimlessly. He also "expedited" the changing of the guard at BP: we watched the fun part and then moved on the Westminster while the crowds watched the rest of the goings on a the palace.

If you want our guide's name and contact email me at russg4willard@mac.com

Russ

I know there were places that offered tours in Geiranger, Tromso and Honnigsvag right at the port. Nothing I saw in Lofoten, Molde or Orkney.

Again, you might want to check out Trip Advisor for each port and at least have contact information at the ready.

Russ

Thanks Russ for sharing your Midnight Sun experience. We followed right after you from London to Bergen and were glad to have much better weather (no rain) and calm seas. I also loved your review.

We booked a private tour in Orkney (Wild About Orkney) which was exceptional and one in Lofoten (Lofoten Lights), which was quite good. We definitely got to see more in a smaller group (4 and 7) and at a lower price. The guide picked us up at the cathedral in Kirkwall and at the port in Leknes.

Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this thread (since going on this cruise next year) and loved the photos. They were absolutely stunning. Just wondering about the cruisers and the weather of the "Into the Midnight Sun" cruises that followed this late June cruise. Was the weather better going a little later? I don't have problems with the rough seas but my husband does and I'm thinking maybe I should look to change to a cruise in July or August (if possible) instead of June. Love to hear how the weather is now. Thanks.

russg140. I don't know if you ares still following this but... You mentioned that you would do a full review of the ship and itinerary. I was wondering if you have done so and where might find it. Thanks.

@Lorna,

Russ has posted his review. It's linked at post #220 above.

@miami mama,

The weather on the June 30 sailing of the Star (Bergen -> London) was splendid. Perfect. Clear and sunny nearly every day, even at NordKapp. There was a bit of rain one sea day. Shetland was a bit cloudy. London (and most of the UK) had, and is having, a record-setting heat wave.

The seas were quite calm.

However, as investment advisors say, past performance does not guarantee future results. You might get wonderful weather next June. You might get crappy weather next July. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And of course, pack & dress in layers.

Edited by screen-gem

Viking did this itinerary for the first time in 2016, just two sailings, in the month of June, the month of the summer solstice. The first first cruise at the beginning of the month had a number of dreary days and rain (not every day, not all day but enough to be memorable). The second cruise had marvelous weather for the most part, warmth, sunshine and mostly calm seas.

The truth of the matter is that there is just no way of predicting what the weather will be when you are there, not for June and not for July or even August; it could be cool and dreary as on the first sailing or warm and sunny as on the second but it just as easily could have been the reversed.

Also note that the midnight sun phenomenon begins to disappear as August approaches.