Live from Viking Sun "Into the Midnight Sun" June 12 - 26

russg140

Nope, the Thon Hotel Orion is the closest to the pier where Viking docks and it is right off the Bryggen. We are staying there 6-29. Can let you know what it's like in a week or so. Follow the June 30 Star sailing. I cannot commit to a "live" like Russ so generously did but will post there.

I would love to hear you thoughts on the Thon Hotel Orion when you get back. Have a wonderful trip!

If you have time before disembarkation preparations, would love to hear your feedback on the “London and the London Eye” shore excursion. We signed up for that on our July 7th cruise out of London (the reverse of your trip) and it has been sold out for some time. Thanks (and thanks for all your posts on this trip!).

Will do.

Tomorrow ought to be interesting: we arrive late tonight/early tomorrow and have to tender in. We’re taking tours of St. Paul’s, the Tower of London and the British Museum, then coming back to the ship for a quick dinner before we head off to the London Eye. At some point we’re going to have to pack. Viking wants us off the ship at 6:45. I guess that explains how our cabin was ready so early when we boarded.

Russ

I will be on Viking Orion 7 July and I’m interested in tips for the ship. I’ve been told the ocean ships are identical. Looking forward to your updates about dining, shows and the layout of the ship. This will be my third cruise, first on Viking.

From

Do you mean tipping?

Russ

Russ, re the Royal Brittania and Ultimate Edinburgh excursion, the description says there is free time. Can you tell me when was the free time and where did they drop you off. Or perhaps with the excursion time cut you did not have the free time. We are trying to plan what else we can do and see during that excursion.

TL

Since we had to leave early there wasn’t a lot , almost no, free time you are correct. I would guess that if we had the two additional hours we would have had more time downtown. Keep in mind there were A LOT of tourists in town. According to our guide Edinburgh is having a banner year.

Russ

No, I was asking for tips re: this particular ship. For instance, how’s the WiFi, good spots if you need to give your cabin mate some space and want to enjoy some quiet time, favorite event or restaurant.

Will do.

Tomorrow ought to be interesting: we arrive late tonight/early tomorrow and have to tender in. We’re taking tours of St. Paul’s, the Tower of London and the British Museum, then coming back to the ship for a quick dinner before we head off to the London Eye. At some point we’re going to have to pack. Viking wants us off the ship at 6:45. I guess that explains how our cabin was ready so early when we boarded.

Russ

Thanks. And be glad you have a 6:45 disembarkation time - our disembarkation in Bergen is going to be around 3:30 for a 6:30 a.m. flight out at the end of the trip. I think we may just stay up that last night!

No, I was asking for tips re: this particular ship. For instance, how’s the WiFi, good spots if you need to give your cabin mate some space and want to enjoy some quiet time, favorite event or restaurant.

I can answer some of your questions. In my experience, the Wi-Fi was available pretty much everywhere on the ship, with no real difference in signal strength. It is not particularly fast, though, so adjust your expectations accordingly. As for quiet places to escape, you shouldn’t have any problems. There is rarely anyone in the Wintergarden (except during high tea at 4:00, and the second floor of the Explorers Lounge tends to be very quiet if there are no special events going on there. In addition, there are quiet nooks and crannies throughout the ship. We’ve been on three ocean trips with Viking and never felt crowded on the ship.

Thanks, Russ. I was looking more for a percentage perhaps only so I could have an idea of how much cash I should get from the ATM upon arrival in Norway. We do tip more than the customary when we get great service. Important to support the locals who add so much to our experiences.

Nola

I was wondering about tipping as well so I asked Miss Google:

"Hopefully you will plan to go on a tour while in Norway. As with other services in Norway, the tour’s price includes a gratuity. However, if your tour guide is exceptionally friendly and helpful, he or she will certainly appreciate a tip if you want to give one. A tip to a tour guide is never expected, but definitely always appreciated."

Here's more info on tipping in Norway: http://www.whototip.net/tipping-in-norway

"Hopefully you will plan to go on a tour while in Norway. As with other services in Norway, the tour’s price includes a gratuity. However, if your tour guide is exceptionally friendly and helpful, he or she will certainly appreciate a tip if you want to give one. A tip to a tour guide is never expected, but definitely always appreciated."

Here's more info on tipping in Norway: http://www.whototip.net/tipping-in-norway

Interesting website. Advice on tipping all over the world. I have it bookmarked. Thanks.

Just watched the ship arrive in Greenwich - reversing up the Thames was a surprise! Have a wonderful last day on board. Fabulous weather here in London at the moment. We can't wait to take your place on Tuesday.

Edinburgh is a delightful and easily managed city not to be missed. Walk the Royal Mile from Edinburgh Castle to Hollyrood Palace and the adjacent Church ruins with stops at the Cathedral, shops, camera obscura and drinking establishments. Listen for the hourly bagpipe player. Thank me.

Joel Barry

Viking encourages tips for their ship sponsored tours for both the guide and driver. We tip for every tour in every country private or ship sponsored.

Wondering how crazy crowed Edinburgh was when you were there. Some post are saying it’s worth avoiding because the crowds are so bad.

It's only really crazy crowded during Fringe Festival in August. It's the largest art's festival in the world. In my opinion, attending the Fringe is a must-do activity despite the crowds.

Edinburgh is very, very busy during the peak summer (tourist) months and just busy the rest of the time! As are lots of other places in Scotland - we are very happy to see you all and your tourist money! But please tip your guides in Pounds Sterling - I noted that the guides someplace were happy to accept Euros - but not all will be happy to do so! ;)

If we attempted to tip someone in Miami or New York with Scottish pounds - can you just imagine how that would go down!!!

Which reminds me of another story - years ago in Zanzibar, DH goes fishing, the fishermen find out he's from Scotland and ask very nicely if he would mind exchanging a very crumpled Scottish £10 pound note that some fool had given them as a tip a couple of years back which they could not exchange, so was totally useless to them. They were so thrilled to finally find someone who could help them and DH gave them a very good exchange rate in their favour! We still have our Scottish pound notes but they are not even really accepted in England (but we happily take English bank notes!), and are refused often in shops etc down south, so what this fool was thinking giving these poor lads, in Zanzibar of all places, a tip in Scottish pounds. Even the overseas banks will not exchange Scottish pounds, so if do you get any, spend them before you leave us or swap them with the next Scot you meet on a cruise!:D

Edinburgh is very, very busy during the peak summer (tourist) months and just busy the rest of the time! As are lots of other places in Scotland - we are very happy to see you all and your tourist money! But please tip your guides in Pounds Sterling - I noted that the guides someplace were happy to accept Euros - but not all will be happy to do so! ;)

If we attempted to tip someone in Miami or New York with Scottish pounds - can you just imagine how that would go down!!!

Which reminds me of another story - years ago in Zanzibar, DH goes fishing, the fishermen find out he's from Scotland and ask very nicely if he would mind exchanging a very crumpled Scottish £10 pound note that some fool had given them as a tip a couple of years back which they could not exchange, so was totally useless to them. They were so thrilled to finally find someone who could help them and DH gave them a very good exchange rate in their favour! We still have our Scottish pound notes but they are not even really accepted in England (but we happily take English bank notes!), and are refused often in shops etc down south, so what this fool was thinking giving these poor lads, in Zanzibar of all places, a tip in Scottish pounds. Even the overseas banks will not exchange Scottish pounds, so if do you get any, spend them before you leave us or swap them with the next Scot you meet on a cruise!:D

Thank you for the wonderful advice. We always tip in the local currency for all the reasons you stated above. We have Scottish pounds in our pockets and we are ready to spend them [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the wonderful advice. We always tip in the local currency for all the reasons you stated above. We have Scottish pounds in our pockets and we are ready to spend them [emoji3].

I could probably find this out on line but quicker for me to ask here! Are Scottish pounds different from British pounds? I'm thinking the local currency we get in Lerwick, Kirkwall, Edinburgh can be used in London.

RF

WiFi is really good, although it did have its moments. Tons of spaces for you to have some quiet time. We’ve loved The Restaurant and really liked The Chefs Table. The staff in the Explorers Lounge has been awesome. If you like steam rooms, saunas, etc don’t miss the Spa. We never made it to Torshavn or any of the shows so can’t comment on those.

Does that help?

Russ

Wondering how crazy crowed Edinburgh was when you were there. Some post are saying it’s worth avoiding because the crowds are so bad.

Elizabeth

I would definitely disagree with that statement. Just manage your time accordingly as well as your expectations. There will be lines, yes, but to miss some of the sights would be sad.

Russ

I could probably find this out on line but quicker for me to ask here! Are Scottish pounds different from British pounds? I'm thinking the local currency we get in Lerwick, Kirkwall, Edinburgh can be used in London.

Scottish pounds are issued by the Scottish banks and English notes by the Bank of England. You can google and it will tell you about not being legal tender etc etc (which I feel would only complicate things on here! ;))

They are exactly the same to all intents and purposes - same value but the big difference though is that English banknotes are accepted everywhere in Scotland and England but the Scottish notes are not readily accepted and in fact are often refused in England. So to be on the safe side, if you get Scottish notes in Scotland and don't intend spending them here, just ask for English banknotes in your change etc. (When we travel the DH waits to get to the bureau de change airside at the airport to get English Banknotes. The bureau de change landslide issues Scottish notes.). The coins are all the same but may have different designs on them, no issues with them.

Tour guides will accept either both! HAHA!

Elizabeth

I would definitely disagree with that statement. Just manage your time accordingly as well as your expectations. There will be lines, yes, but to miss some of the sights would be sad.

Russ

Agree, if you've never been before and this is your only chance to see Edinburgh and her sights, don't miss it. I'm sure I said that already in a previous post.

Scottish pounds are issued by the Scottish banks and English notes by the Bank of England. You can google and it will tell you about not being legal tender etc etc (which I feel would only complicate things on here! ;))

They are exactly the same to all intents and purposes - same value but the big difference though is that English banknotes are accepted everywhere in Scotland and England but the Scottish notes are not readily accepted and in fact are often refused in England. So to be on the safe side, if you get Scottish notes in Scotland and don't intend spending them here, just ask for English banknotes in your change etc. (When we travel the DH waits to get to the bureau de change airside at the airport to get English Banknotes. The bureau de change landslide issues Scottish notes.). The coins are all the same but may have different designs on them, no issues with them.

Tour guides will accept either both! HAHA!

Thanks! So cool to get personalized answers here.

Agree, if you've never been before and this is your only chance to see Edinburgh and her sights, don't miss it. I'm sure I said that already in a previous post.

Yes. We have decided that we will head into Edinburgh. Thank you for all the wonderful tips!

Fairborne & russg140, regarding the Scottish vs British issue. Where does a person obtain pounds if first arriving in a small town like Lerwick or Kirkwall? Are there ATM's (bank machines) in the port area? At a post office? Will one receive Scottish pound notes or can one get British notes? Seems easier time just have British notes if going to both Scotland and England.

There will be ATMs in the towns you are visiting, which will dispense Scottish £5, £10 and £20 notes, for you to spend locally. The notes are issued by the various Scottish banks, each with their own designs and artwork. What you get depends on which bank services the ATM. If you want Bank of England notes (which we Scots are very happy to accept!), you can change Scottish notes for BoE notes in any Scottish bank, at no charge. Probably a good idea for yourselves. Should you arrive in England with a number of Scottish notes which may not be accepted there, look for a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS, the largest bank in Britain and at one time the sixth largest bank in the world) and change them there. It irritates we Scots that our currency is regarded askance by our southern neighbours, as we have these problems too. Coin is fine both sides of the border. You would have difficulty changing Scottish notes into dollars or euros or whatever outside the UK.