Cheap, Independent, and Hassle Free in Grand Caymen

SkyPiglet

In August, the wife and I are cruising on Carnival Dream to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay. We have never been to Grand Cayman before and are really looking forward to it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap and reliable excursions or activities for Grand Cayman? We are a bit paranoid about getting back to the ship/getting left behind, and being unfamiliar with this port, we really want to play it safe. On the other hand, money is tighter this year and we were hoping to avoid anything too costly, like booking through Carnival itself. Ideally, a nice beach to visit (like the free beaches off the ports in Grand Turk and Mahagony Bay, Roatan). Does anyone have suggestions?

I have heard 7 Mile Beach is nice enough, but are the buses reliable, and how often do they run?

Any suggestions you have to offer are appreciated, and than you in advance!:)

Edited by SkyPiglet
SkyPiglet is a bad speller

We have been to Grand Cayman server all times and have done pretty much every excusion. We really just want to snorkel but without a ton of first timers kicking us with their fins and bumping into us. So our plan is to take the bus to Cemetary Beach. It's a free public beach with very few people. There is no facilities so bring drinks and snacks. We own our own equipment. Snorkeling is supposed to be pretty good there. Then we plan to take the bus back and have a lunch at Paradise Cafe which is ny far from the terminal

First, you didn't save a dime by booking direct with Carnival.

The buses are very dependable.

GC has one of the highest living standard in the islands.

Dependable excursion providers are plentiful on the dock where the tenders land.

Several non-ship providers are named in various posts here on CC.

GC is so easy to DIY....google it, or get a guidebook. The bus service is VERY reliable and cheap. Very little reason to do an excursion unless you want to swim with the stingrays...that's something you can't just "walk up" and do...you must do it either with a provider or the ship.

Yes if you just want a beach day the buses are a good option, just do some research on the beach areas and amenities/crowds at each. Rum Point is a great choice if you don’t mind renting a car and driving 45 minutes.

The FFA excursion would be for someone wanting a nice beach stop + a more personalized experience at the sandbar and the reef.

Enjoy your day whatever you choose!

Thanks for the suggestions. We have not booked anything through Carnival here, we know that is the costliest option. We will likely bus to one of the beaches. We do have our own snorkel gear so that seems like a good bet. I have a dumb question, what part of the island do the tenders dock at? Like I said, I am completely unfamiliar with this port :)

The words "cheap" and "Cayman" don't tend to go together often, unless you change it to "not cheap". But here are some ideas:

If you walk from the cruise terminal south you will get to Eden Rock dive shop. There is a nice snorkel out to the buoys there which is the mini wall. Lots of critters to see there and the water tends to be quite calm. So far, zero money spent. :-)

The buses are clean and reliable - and cost $2.50 per person each ride, so for the two of you it's far cheaper than taxis.

Seven Mile Beach has different sections, but all are public access. Cemetery Beach is nice (I wouldn't rate the snorkeling there as better than Eden Rock, though), but there are no facilities and no food.

If you want an economical lunch without sacrificing quality, ask the bus driver to drop you off at a small place called "Chicken! Chicken!" - they do delicious wood-roasted chicken with sides. It's opposite Royal Palms which is a beach club often frequented by cruise visitors - the food there will be more expensive though.

If you want to splurge on beach chairs, etc, then you have three options - Hemingways (where you have to spend $25 per person and get free use of their chairs), Royal Palms, or Calico Jack's (you can ask the bus driver to drop you off at any of these). But if you don't mind "roughing it" a bit, just sit in the sand and go for a swim anywhere along Seven Mile Beach - it's public the whole way - just don't use the chairs, etc. in front of condos - those are private.

I think you have many options without having to spend a fortune.

The words "cheap" and "Cayman" don't tend to go together often, unless you change it to "not cheap". But here are some ideas:

Instead of "cheap," perhaps I should have said "Cost Effective." :) Thanks for the suggestions! Eden Rock is looking really good, the wife and I typically snorkel on every cruise, and if this is walk-able from the port, then it is perfect. I just checked their website to find out a bit more.

Are we permitted to enter the water at their shop, and then swim out to the reef, or do we need to book transportation to a site with them?

We likely will eat on the ship, but the Chicken Chicken place sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation!

You can walk to their shop from the cruise ship and get into the water using their ladder - it's a short swim to the actual reef but I usually see some interesting stuff on the hard pan on the way out and back. Ask about conditions at the dive shop - if they have time they will actually give you a briefing on where to go and how conditions are. I have found them to be very friendly.

Last couple of times we've walked to Eden Rock to snorkel. Very friendly folks. They do have a tip jar so we give them a couple of bucks since they usually do give some guidance.

Not too far of a walk and easy to enter the water via their ladder. We then walk back to town and shop a little along the way (don't expect any bargains).

We've done the other tours and swam with the stingrays a couple of times so now we just get off to snorkel and browse the shop.