higher deposit after lower cruise rate found?

Mntbiker2008

Hey everyone, I am booked on the Conquest 8 day leaving Sept. 29 and found a lower rate on Carnival's website. I called them so that I could get the rate reduction and they told me the deposit would be $700 (I originally paid $335). Has this happened to anyone? I also found the same rate on another site....I wonder if I used that rate, I could get around having to pay the extra "Deposit". I have a gift card on the way from AARP which is the only reason I don't want to just pay the extra deposit.

Yep, if you booked under a reduced deposit rate, and the reduced deposit sale isn't currently available, they will make you pay the higher deposit amount to get the current lower rate. Had it happen to me before as well. Just be careful, if you pay the higher rate and it isn't refundable, you may end up with higher cancellation penalties then the current reduced deposit already paid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:( Sadly yes the half deposit sale is time sensitive and any changes after the sail requires the full deposit. It has happened to me more then once. You may lose some of your deposit if you try to cancel and book with another source.

thanks all. I am going to stay with carnival but would I be able to get the credit if I did the lowest price guarantee form but showed them I could get the price lower from another site?

I think you are confusing the lowest price guarantee they have on shore excursions and the early saver price protection. As far as I have ever heard, with early saver price protection, that price has to be available on Carnivals website. A third party site doesn't work for that.

thanks all. I am going to stay with carnival but would I be able to get the credit if I did the lowest price guarantee form but showed them I could get the price lower from another site?

Hi

You have to be able to find the lower price for the same cabin class on the Carnival site to get the price reduction.

Just wanted to say, if there is a price reduction available now, take it now. The prices can fluctuate daily/hourly. If the price goes back up before you submit your request, you won't get it.

have a great cruise

Hi

You have to be able to find the lower price for the same cabin class on the Carnival site to get the price reduction.

Just wanted to say, if there is a price reduction available now, take it now. The prices can fluctuate daily/hourly. If the price goes back up before you submit your request, you won't get it.

have a great cruise

Except the the threadstarter doesn't want to pay the additional deposit (the original rate had a reduced deposit)

So the threadstarter will have to decide between keeping higher rate and lower deposit or getting lower rate with higher deposit.

Hey everyone, I am booked on the Conquest 8 day leaving Sept. 29 and found a lower rate on Carnival's website. I called them so that I could get the rate reduction and they told me the deposit would be $700 (I originally paid $335). Has this happened to anyone? I also found the same rate on another site....I wonder if I used that rate, I could get around having to pay the extra "Deposit". I have a gift card on the way from AARP which is the only reason I don't want to just pay the extra deposit.

Your only 4-5 weeks away from final payment due date anyway. Just pay the extra deposit to secure the lower price. I don't understand how this is even a concern. And yeah I could offer an opinion if coming up with that extra deposit is a problem...but I will refrain from that right now.

Yes that is how they get you .

It happened to me, I booked when it was 1/2 off deposit, when I call in to change lower price, they said this fare required a full deposit, so I paid the other 1/2 deposit,

Keep checking, my cruise already paid, but I'm still checking price everyday, a few time per day, it lower another $20 today, so it went to on board credit

Your only 4-5 weeks away from final payment due date anyway. Just pay the extra deposit to secure the lower price. I don't understand how this is even a concern. And yeah I could offer an opinion if coming up with that extra deposit is a problem...but I will refrain from that right now.

He said in his original post why that is a concern... because he is waiting to receive the gift card he purchased. I am sure he bought that gift card at a discount is and using it to pay for his cruise.

He said in his original post why that is a concern... because he is waiting to receive the gift card he purchased. I am sure he bought that gift card at a discount is and using it to pay for his cruise.

Even if his cruise was paid in full, could he not just apply the gift card to his account at check in and use it for gratuities, etc. and at the end of the cruise get the cash back (or even during the cruise via the kiosk)?

Yes that is how they get you .

How is this "how they get you?" Unless I am incorrect, the OP wants the reduced deposits from the original sale with the lower price found in the current sale, that does not offer reduced deposits. You get one offer or the other, you don't get to double dip where you see fit. They run certain perks at different times because each component has a cost to it.

It was like when I would work in retail. An item would be $1000 with a $100 gift card. Then the next week, it would be $925 with no gift card. People would come in and expect to get it for $925 and keep the gift card. That is not a price match.

I have a $49 deposit cruise that I turned a small price reduction down on a year and a half out because it was going to cost me a couple hundred dollars on my deposit.

Was it just the case that you could not afford the increased deposit at the particular time, but would have the money later? ( I have been in that position -waiting for a bonus check, etc) Otherwise paying the extra deposit does not add to the total cost, it is just deducted from the final amount you pay. If you can save overall, changing to the lower rate benefits you.

Was it just the case that you could not afford the increased deposit at the particular time, but would have the money later? ( I have been in that position -waiting for a bonus check, etc) Otherwise paying the extra deposit does not add to the total cost, it is just deducted from the final amount you pay. If you can save overall, changing to the lower rate benefits you.

$200 meant more to me at that time than $20 or 30 over the next 18 months would.

Yes, the deposit requirement can change depending on the sale. This happened with our upcoming cruise. The original sale was $50 deposits. I wasn't 100% sure we could commit to the date, but booked it anyway knowing I would "only" lose $200 since it was early saver (yes, risky for not being guaranteed - but the rate was substantially better than other rates) and I thought the rate was great. For a few months, the rates went down, but the deposit shot up to standard $250 per person (I have 4 people to book) so I held off until I could commit. Luckily, another fare sale came with $49 deposits, & OBC, & lower rates, so was able to grab that and didn't have to pay more deposit (deposit was actually $4 cheaper). Once i was more committed to the date, I watched for better rates but at a higher deposit as I am getting closer to final payment anyway. I was then able to grab a 50% deposit sale that netted me $200 in savings and that's where I am at today and no sales have been better. Just gotta know and play by the rules