Question about Tahiti cruise

The Mommy

Good Evening

I am interested in any feedback about the Tahitian Treasures 17 night cruise from Sydney.

I am looking at the itinerary and there are 11 sea days and only 6 ports of call.

Has anyone done this please and did it feel a long way to go with only so few ports?

I would really like to see Sydney and Tahiti and have only been to Hawaii once but I am not a fan of Honolulu too much.

I am wondering how it could be extended - maybe a couple of days in Sydney first? Extended stay in Honolulu would be good but I wonder how easy it is to island hop

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Thank you

We did this cruise April 2017. Flew to Sydney from Texas and stayed 4 nights in Sydney and stayed 4 nights in Honolulu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The cruise was awesome! So many activities morning, noon and night. Entertainment was great. We met some people that have turned into great friends and we are now all doing a TA this November from Southampton. Weather was perfect and the Islands/ports were spectacular. We loved the days at sea and found that there was plenty to do. We are also going to do it again if that means something.

Mark

We recently did a seven week trip including Australia, New Zealand and the Explorer of the Seas TransPacific from Sydney to Seattle.

We didn't go to Tahiti, but ports in New Caledonia, Fiji and three days in Hawaii.

We loved Australia and New Zealand. We had been to Australia in 2013, but not NZ.

The islands on the cruise were good, but we were not overwhelmed. Hawaii was nice, we enjoyed going to see the Arizona Memorial and the Luau. The Oahu tour the second day was nice, we enjoyed the scenic places, however it did rain part of our day. Maui, the Road to Maui was good, but not overwhelming.

Here is my review:

Melbourne, New Zealand and Explorer of the Seas TransPacific cruise

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=620702&et_cid=3065755&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

We have done this itinerary (and its variations) three times -- 2011, 2014 and 2016. We've enjoyed all of them, but we are able to entertain ourselves and enjoy sea days. In 2011 we spent over a week in Sydney and still had other attractions on our list to see. In 2014 we spent several days in Sydney before flying out to Uluru (Ayers Rock) for four days. In 2016 we just had a turnaround day as we were on a B2B so left the ship in wonderful Singapore (where we spent a week, and also still had other attractions on our list).

Good Evening

I am interested in any feedback about the Tahitian Treasures 17 night cruise from Sydney.

I am looking at the itinerary and there are 11 sea days and only 6 ports of call.

Has anyone done this please and did it feel a long way to go with only so few ports?

I would really like to see Sydney and Tahiti and have only been to Hawaii once but I am not a fan of Honolulu too much.

I am wondering how it could be extended - maybe a couple of days in Sydney first? Extended stay in Honolulu would be good but I wonder how easy it is to island hop

Thank you

We did this cruise in 2017 together with a back to back 10 day Hawaii to Vancouver and it was one of our favorite trips of all time! - We flew over to Sydney early and did some touring there before boarding the ship, and found we liked all the sea days - the part we didn't like was having to pack for two climates as it was colder in Australia/New Zealand and from Hawaii to Vancouver - would I do this itinerary again? In a heartbeat. You may find you would rather not do the back to back and enjoy an extended Hawaii tour after....to each his own.

We did this trip in April 2017 and loved it. There is a review I did in my signature. Do plan ahead for Bora Bora. I booked “Patrick’s Tour” over a year in advance. As some people have said, the entire reason to take this cruise is for Patrick’s Tour in Bora Bora. It is highly rated on Trip Advisor. Tahiti itself is not great but you can take a short ferry ride to the beaches on Moorea. Our cruise stopped in Moorea but I noticed it doesn’t stop there now. There is so much to do on sea days, and very good Beyond the Podium speakers. We loved it so much we did a trans Atlantic this past April with friends we met on the Sydney to Honolulu cruise. There are lots of sea days to make new friends. Also, if you want to get out of Honolulu look up Escaoe Waikiki on Trip Advisor. I organized a grou from our Roll Call. It was a great tour.

We did this trip in April 2017 and loved it. There is a review I did in my signature. Do plan ahead for Bora Bora. I booked “Patrick’s Tour” over a year in advance. As some people have said, the entire reason to take this cruise is for Patrick’s Tour in Bora Bora.

I will agree with you about Patrick. We have been with him 5 times, and will be with him the 6th time this July. :cool:

Oh my goodness.....don’t miss this one! We had a blast! We flew into Sydney a few days early and added onto a couple of tours with people we met on our Roll Call. Great way to see the area and it was very reasonable. I highly recommend the tour company called Your Sydney Tour.....the guide’s name was Scott....he was awesome. We loved the sea days because it was super relaxing and the sunsets were beyond description. Tahaiti was not anything to write home about, but Bora Bora was beautiful.....did Patrick’s tour....fabulous!

Had been to Hawaii many times, but had not been to Pearl Harbor so we stayed one night there to do that. Otherwise Honolulu is not my island of choice.....so busy! We met such wonderful people and have no complaints about food or drink. We were not in a suite....so just the MDR and some specialty dining for us. Enjoyed everything except Silk Harvest....we have better Asian food at home, but that’s just my opinion. Enjoy!

Island hopping in Hawaii is quite easy and fairly cheap. Take a look at Hawaiian Airlines inter island flights to Maui and Kauai and back to Oahu, if needed. All flights are less than an hour. They also fly to all the other islands. If you decide to stay in Maui, there is direct flights to Los Angeles. We are doing this cruise in 2019 and doing a post stay in Hawaii, at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu.

Good Evening.......................................

I wonder how easy it is to island hop

Thank you

Edited by wv4891

We've done this twice in the last 2 years - once on Radiance of the Seas and once on Solstice.

Solstice is the better ship in our opinion, particularly the food in the MDR and the buffets.

We have enjoyed every single seaday, we wished, there would have been more of them.

Bora Bora is the nicest place that we have visited, we always book a boat for selfdriving for the day there.

We stayed 3 more nights in Sydney and the time is always too short for the incredible city and the surroundings.

And we are on the fence for the 2018 Tahitian Treasures cruise.

Hi Gail

We have done transpacific 3 times (2 with Princess and Solstice 2016) and it is a lovely cruise--Tahiti is nothing special but Bora Bora is lovely.

Another option is what we did in 2015 Top End Cruise Perth to Sydney or reverse I think Royal Caribbean has a ship doing. That is a great cruise as you can visit Margaret River from Perth (wine tasting) and Hunter Valley from Sydney.

Doing the Australia only trip for us is the better option, but that being said Australia is expensive now, our first trip we got $2.40 to the £GBP now its about 1.68

How are your grandchildren- we were on the cruise you had to cancel due to their arrival

Liz

Solstice is the better ship in our opinion, particularly the food in the MDR and the buffets.

I don`t doubt that Solstice is the better ship, but she`s also far more expensive than Radiance.. more than $1,000 per person more for a balcony and depending on the date the OP is looking at Solstice has dropped Moorea from their itinerary.

You may want to consider a cruise around Australia. We did that and really enjoyed it. You see lots of Australia and don't have so many sea days. Or, if your bucket list is really to see Tahiti, I would suggest a smaller ship that specializes in the area - such as Paul Gauguin. It can go to some of the smaller islands that are really magical. The population of the Tahitian islands really cannot easily handle the big ships.

Question on this itinerary for those who have done it: any preference on southbound in April vs northbound in Sept/Oct? Thank you.

Everyone will have their own and different reasons for choosing direction and time of year; but for us, we chose April from Sydney to Hawaii due to the weather getting better and warmer as you get closer to the equator and closer to Hawaii. That was important to us.

Furthermore, living in NZ we didn't want that cruise itinerary to end in Sydney via NZ as we thought we'd feel like our holiday was ending to soon coming into the lands down under we know so well (purely psychological factor - plus we loved the extra 4 days holiday we tacked on in Hawaii post cruise). :cool:

Hi Gail

We have done transpacific 3 times (2 with Princess and Solstice 2016) and it is a lovely cruise--Tahiti is nothing special but Bora Bora is lovely.

Another option is what we did in 2015 Top End Cruise Perth to Sydney or reverse I think Royal Caribbean has a ship doing. That is a great cruise as you can visit Margaret River from Perth (wine tasting) and Hunter Valley from Sydney.

Doing the Australia only trip for us is the better option, but that being said Australia is expensive now, our first trip we got $2.40 to the £GBP now its about 1.68

How are your grandchildren- we were on the cruise you had to cancel due to their arrival

Liz

Oh Hi Liz

Thank you for the information - the children are beautiful thank you - well worth missing a cruise for :D

1240536939_2017-03-2520_23_01.thumb.jpg.de14af06acd91a08a85cc42ea81963b4.jpg