A question about the freebies - and best value.

I read the article posted about NCL and fees. When we booked our cruise, we chose the 3 meal specialty dining pkg and the internet package, I think 250 minutes. We aren't drinkers. Though we could have enjoyed a glass of wine, or a fruity drink in the past, we avoid sugar, so those things don't really work anymore. We stick to water most of the time. And we love coffee, though we don't do many specialty coffees these days, just plain. So I didn't book the UBP because I didn't think it would be of any value to us. Specialty coffee and bottled water aren't available on that UBP anyway, right? But, I also don't really think I need the internet minutes, but I had to pick something. Anything I'm missing? Am I thinking correctly?

I read the article posted about NCL and fees. When we booked our cruise, we chose the 3 meal specialty dining pkg and the internet package, I think 250 minutes. We aren't drinkers. Though we could have enjoyed a glass of wine, or a fruity drink in the past, we avoid sugar, so those things don't really work anymore. We stick to water most of the time. And we love coffee, though we don't do many specialty coffees these days, just plain. So I didn't book the UBP because I didn't think it would be of any value to us. Specialty coffee and bottled water aren't available on that UBP anyway, right? But, I also don't really think I need the internet minutes, but I had to pick something. Anything I'm missing? Am I thinking correctly?

Yes, the UBP worth more in term of value, but you would still have to pay the 20% gratuity on top of the promotion. So if you are not a drinker, you shouldn't pick this package. Yes, the specialty coffee and bottled water are not included in the UBP package.

If you do not need the internet minutes, you can pick the shore excursion credits, $50 per each port. Use it or lose it.

If NCL skip a port, you will not get any shore excursion credits. And if the shore excursion is less than $50, they do not apply the whole $50.

And then there's the 3rd and 4th guests - they only pay the taxes and the port fees, not the cruise fare.

Keep in mind that if you decide to get the UBP you will need to pay for the beverage service charges (tips/gratuities for beverages) upfront which is 20% which equals to $17.80 USD per person per day. Assuming that you will drink $17.80 worth of drinks I don't see where you can go wrong with chosing the UBP.

So if your cruise is 7 days long you will need to add $124.60 per person more to your budget to get that beverage package.

how long is the sailing, would they let you apply the value of the internet minutes to more specialty dining?

If you will be happy with tap water, and the free drinks available at restaurants (regular coffee, tea, lemonade and iced tea), I wouldn't pay the gratuities of the UBP, espresso based coffee and bottled water are not available with the UBP.

If you decide you want to pay for a drink, you might be sad you didn't pay the $36 a day for each of you to have unlimited drinks

how long is the sailing, would they let you apply the value of the internet minutes to more specialty dining?

If you will be happy with tap water, and the free drinks available at restaurants (regular coffee, tea, lemonade and iced tea), I wouldn't pay the gratuities of the UBP, espresso based coffee and bottled water are not available with the UBP.

If you decide you want to pay for a drink, you might be sad you didn't pay the $36 a day for each of you to have unlimited drinks

Substitution like that is not allowed.

None of the perks are transferable. UBP has virtually zero added value to us since alcohol isn't an option in our family ...

Depending on the ports/ship's itinerary, the shore excursion credits might be of some value, i.e. for local shuttle/transfers only ... prices are typically jacked up, do your price comparison.

SDP has some value if you aren't a frequent regulars & getting tired of the same Specialty Dining menus, some of which are now off-limits & excluded - a nominal surcharge is collected, but 20% fees out of one's pocket ... still not terrible.

Internet WiFi minutes has a $125 (currently) value from NCL and can be upgraded to the premium/unlimited plan, if one preferred to stay connected ... otherwise, keep it - no extra costs; and, it can be SHARED and/or "gifted" to someone else on the same sailing, using the single log-in. ****

**** Caution, our friends choose the 250 WiFi minutes & forgot to sign-out & log-off to stop the running clock/meter, so 4 hours later on day 2, discovered it has been burned & no longer had any remaining airtime WiFi minutes. At least, they didn't run up extra charges.

For OP, pick the WiFi minutes & shore ex credits, no added costs for using it and for not using it, unlike the UBP and SDP.

**** Caution, our friends choose the 250 WiFi minutes & forgot to sign-out & log-off to stop the running clock/meter, so 4 hours later on day 2, discovered it has been burned & no longer had any remaining airtime WiFi minutes. At least, they didn't run up extra charges.

In that case talk nicely to the Computer Manager.

Your analysis and understanding is 100% correct. The only other alternative is the $50 per port ShoreEx credit if you are taking NCL tours.

You did not have to pick a second option, but it never hurts to pick the Internet option or the Shore Excursion option, because they don't cost you anything out of pocket like the UBP or the UDP. When deciding on perks if it is going to cost you anything you have to decide if you would spend what it costs in service charges for the perk, for the item covered by the SC.

Keep in mind that if you decide to get the UBP you will need to pay for the beverage service charges (tips/gratuities for beverages) upfront which is 20% which equals to $17.80 USD per person per day. Assuming that you will drink $17.80 worth of drinks I don't see where you can go wrong with chosing the UBP.

So if your cruise is 7 days long you will need to add $124.60 per person more to your budget to get that beverage package.

Is this the upcharge when you book and is prepaid before the cruise or does it come out of our OBS accounts at the start of the cruise?

If the "freebies" hold no value for you, you might want to consider booking the bare bones fare and pay for only the things you do want. It may be less expensive in the end.
THIS!

Especially if you don't care to pick your cabin, check out the "guaranteed" categories, they often times don't include the specials and if they are significantly cheaper, go that route.