New to Ft. Lauderdale, need advice on hotel and getting around.

KEHRETPATCH

We fly in 10 am day before cruise. If we stay at FLL area hotel, how easy is it to get to beach? I understand there is a trolley and water taxis. Are they easy to access?

My husband has never seen the Atlantic ocean, so that is a must do.

If we stay on the beach, or within a couple blocks of it, which beach is best for walking around, snacking, grabbing a drink, and just hanging out for 24 hours?

After cruise, we plan on stowing luggage and exploring that day, as well. Our flight out is early evening.

Thanks!

Here is a map of the most popular hotel clusters for Everglades cruisers. I think you should first look at the Lauderdale Beach hotels (walk to the beach across the road) then the 17th Street hotels as a second choice (beach is a short distance away by public transport or Uber)

PortEvergladesHotel-Clusters.jpg

At Lauderdale beach you not only have beach access, you have many restaurants/bars nearby and you are

close to water taxi stops, dinner cruises and the Trolley Route. Plus you are just a short distance from the cruise terminals.

I would start the research with the Marriott Courtyard and Bahia Mar because they are closest to the action!

There are more than 20 hotels to choose from - see list here: http://cruiseporteverglades.us/hotels/

Edited by SteerageJoe

I would recommend CIRC Hotel in Hollywood. It is a brand new hotel, super clean with rooftop pool and bar, less than 15 minutes from FLL.

Many restaurants options around the hotel and beautiful Hollywood Beach Boardwalk a mile away. You can either walk to the beach or use the trolley which is very convenient and stop right in front of the hotel. Once at the beach, you'll find many bars and restaurants along the boardwalk.

I would recommend CIRC Hotel in Hollywood. It is a brand new hotel, super clean with rooftop pool and bar, less than 15 minutes from FLL.

Many restaurants options around the hotel and beautiful Hollywood Beach Boardwalk a mile away. You can either walk to the beach or use the trolley which is very convenient and stop right in front of the hotel. Once at the beach, you'll find many bars and restaurants along the boardwalk.

That is indeed a very nice hotel and the area around the circle is up-and-coming!

Just be aware the walk to the boardwalk will be nearly 2 miles considering the A1A onramp and walking north to the action.

That is indeed a very nice hotel and the area around the circle is up-and-coming!

Just be aware the walk to the boardwalk will be nearly 2 miles considering the A1A onramp and walking north to the action.

Wow. You are right, it was so easy I felt like it was a mile away while it is actually 1.7.

My mistake.

Trolley still a convenient option.

We like the Hilton FL Beach Resort, which is just across the street from the beach and it provides lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach. It has a great roof top pool and bar. We also like the Gallery One Doubletree, which is a short walk to the beach. Nice thing about the DT is the water taxi stop is right outside the back door. I think they have a for fee shuttle to the port.

We like the Hilton FL Beach Resort, which is just across the street from the beach and it provides lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach. It has a great roof top pool and bar. We also like the Gallery One Doubletree, which is a short walk to the beach. Nice thing about the DT is the water taxi stop is right outside the back door. I think they have a for fee shuttle to the port.

Excellent info, thanks! How far from the Hilton is the water taxi? We were looking at a hotel near the airport, but the savings doesn't seem worth the hassle of getting over to the beach for the day. We will also want to get in our room when we can to nap a little. Taking a red eye from the west coast and we don't sleep well on planes.

Excellent info, thanks! How far from the Hilton is the water taxi? We were looking at a hotel near the airport, but the savings doesn't seem worth the hassle of getting over to the beach for the day. We will also want to get in our room when we can to nap a little. Taking a red eye from the west coast and we don't sleep well on planes.

Hilton FL Beach Resort sits on the ocean side, but you can walk west on Riomar a couple of blocks and be on the bay. Not sure where the closest water taxi stop would be, but doubt it's to far. If you google the hotel you can see how it's laid out. Looks like the closest stop from hotel might be the Seville stop a few blocks south.

Depending on time of the year we have gotten really great rates at both hotels. We had a huge two room suite in October at Hilton, which was shame we only had it for one night. Three years ago I got a two bedroom suite, living room, and kitchen at the DT for $225 a night. Both times were in October.

I like the hotels in the 17th Street area. We've stayed at most of them--Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites, Renaissance, Hilton Marina, and even the Extended Stay America. As for the Atlantic Ocean, your husband will have plenty of time to see it from the ship. To me, the beach at Fort Lauderdale isn't that great. But we've only been there in the winter months.

What you are asking for, I think Hollywood Beach is a no-brainer. The broadwalk (it's not a boardwalk) is outstanding to wander around, grab cocktails, etc. Much better for this than Fort Lauderdale beach, though Fort Lauderdale isn't "bad."

Stay on the beach, there is hotels and motels in all price ranges. A major difference is the Hollywood beach hotels are on the broadwalk, which is a popular spot with live music, people, bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. And NO road to cross or vehicle traffic. Fort Lauderdale if you are on the beach, then you are way south or you are across a busy street, as A1A runs right along the beach in the busy areas. Hollywood has a nicer beach as well.

If walking around and enjoying yourself is a big deal, then just stay at a hotel you can do this without trolleys or additional transportation nonsense to deal with. I don't see the point of staying at a 17th Street hotel considering what you are asking for.

What you are asking for, I think Hollywood Beach is a no-brainer.9 The broadwalk (it's not a boardwalk) is outstanding to wander around, grab cocktails, etc. Much better for this than Fort Lauderdale beach, though Fort Lauderdale isn't "bad."

Stay on the beach, there is hotels and motels in all price ranges. A major difference is the Hollywood beach hotels are on the broadwalk, which is a popular spot with live music, people, bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. And NO road to cross or vehicle traffic. Fort Lauderdale if you are on the beach, then you are way south or you are across a busy street, as A1A runs right along the beach in the busy areas. Hollywood has a nicer beach as well.

If walking around and enjoying yourself is a big deal, then just stay at a hotel you can do this without trolleys or additional transportation nonsense to deal with. I don't see the point of staying at a 17th Street hotel considering what you are asking for.

Super helpful, thank you!

Thanks, everyone. We ended up renting an oceanfront room on the beach. That way, my darling husband can watch the sun rise over the ocean without having to leave the hotel room. I might even wake up and join him. We are west coasters who often watch the sunset over the ocean and watching it rise instead is pretty awesome to us. That was his most important request, we will figure the rest out that day, depending on energy levels after a long flight. :)