Free WiFi as a perk - question

We got the 250 minutes WiFi as a perk when booking. The only thing I can see us using it for is on the Kindle - for my toddler to watch shows on the PBS app (it basically streams videos of their 30 or so minute shows).

Has anyone successfully used ship WiFi to stream thru an app like that? How do they measure the 250 min (i.e. will we want to sign out of the WiFi each time she's done using the app?) And finally, is it available throughout the ship once we are signed on, or limited to use in our cabin?

We use it as a treat at home, but I want to be prepared. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

My suspicion is that this is likely ship dependent (newer may be better) and I know it is cabin/location dependent since I have seen very different levels of reliability in different cabins/places on the ship (Jewels). I believe that one can stream (in that I have used Facebook Live to stream 'up'). You basically log on and the clock starts ticking and log off to stop it.

on the Bliss, the free minutes was the slowest option (actually had staff admit that) and only the Premium will allow streaming.

I didn't have patience for how slow the free minutes loaded, I'm not a parent, but I would never expect a toddler to have that much patience

I would upgrade to Premium unlimited or not use the package, there was a sign up fee to activate the account ($3.95 I think)

You will find that any free time you are given is the slowest on the boat at any time. I would normally use mine at 6am when there are few people up, about 2pm when many are sleeping, on shorex or at a late lunch, or about 8pm, prime time for shows and dining. My 1st choice is 6am but I don't stream.

We had some free minutes last time, but even though we took one phone and one iPad, we decided to use the time on the ship to completely unplug. Taking those two things was for time before and after and any emergencies from family. NOT being online for the week was GREAT.

I took the free minutes to keep in touch with my online graduate school classes. I plan to use the credit to upgrade to unlimited though.

On your question, the FAQ says to be sure to log out each time. I read a post where someone forgot to log out on Day 1 and went to do something on Day 2 and the minutes had been used up. I have an 8 year old, turning 9 on the cruise, and a 3 year old grands traveling with us so I plan to set their tablets to airplane mode and allow them to use the non wifi apps. Really hoping to not have them on devices much, but we fly into Seattle from New Orleans so we need the tablets for the flights. I just saw though that Alaska Air allows you to rent a tablet on board for a movie so am thinking I will go that route and leave their tablets at home.

I took the free minutes to keep in touch with my online graduate school classes. I plan to use the credit to upgrade to unlimited though.

On your question, the FAQ says to be sure to log out each time. I read a post where someone forgot to log out on Day 1 and went to do something on Day 2 and the minutes had been used up. I have an 8 year old, turning 9 on the cruise, and a 3 year old grands traveling with us so I plan to set their tablets to airplane mode and allow them to use the non wifi apps. Really hoping to not have them on devices much, but we fly into Seattle from New Orleans so we need the tablets for the flights. I just saw though that Alaska Air allows you to rent a tablet on board for a movie so am thinking I will go that route and leave their tablets at home.

Your package can be shared with as many devices as you want. But,,,, only one at a time. The basic package will give you access to the internet. You need the premium package for anything streaming. And,,, streaming will be spotty during heavy use.

95e8e44efc9f76caee567cdda91c3fcb.heic

Right, I realize that from all the FAQs etc as you posted. I have no plans to stream, and checking online discussion boards is my only need. That and doing 5 peer reviews of papers within 72 hours of submission through Canvas.

I had thought allowing one of the kids to get on their tablet under my unlimited wifi to play a game like Pokemon Go or something of that nature when I am not doing school work may be a boon to have, but again, I am wanting to unplug them from devices. So I am still debating that one. My husband gifted my daughter the unlimited package as well so we will have 2 devices at a time we may use.

Your package can be shared with as many devices as you want. But,,,, only one at a time. The basic package will give you access to the internet. You need the premium package for anything streaming. And,,, streaming will be spotty during heavy use.

95e8e44efc9f76caee567cdda91c3fcb.heic

You will find that any free time you are given is the slowest on the boat at any time. I would normally use mine at 6am when there are few people up, about 2pm when many are sleeping, on shorex or at a late lunch, or about 8pm, prime time for shows and dining. My 1st choice is 6am but I don't stream.
Luckily (?!?!) for us she will see to it that we are among the first ones awake on the ship (maybe even as some party animals are still winding the night down- HA!)

Your info regarding peak/non peak times was helpful! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I was just told over the phone by NCL that the perk package cannot be upgraded to unlimited. I am going to upgrade my daughter's unlimited package my husband bought her though and use it for school when she is not online. Changing my wifi to 3 SDP.

I was just told over the phone by NCL that the perk package cannot be upgraded to unlimited. I am going to upgrade my daughter's unlimited package my husband bought her though and use it for school when she is not online. Changing my wifi to 3 SDP.

That's breaking news to me & others, first piece of news from agents at their call centers being "reported" now ... which ship is this applicable to ?? Or, is this a new fleetwide policy change ??

The option to upgrade was still valid this May ... and offered in "writing" The FAS Promo package has a $125 trade-up value for upgrade purposes.

cd58eb3b8d7b680926378b64e1c08b2a.jpg

These are "older" printed guides - without the newest 3-tiered premium unlimited streaming package, priced at $34.95 per day. All other bundles or plans, on ships offering the 3 tiers, do NOT allow streaming.

8e4b0a8d7fb86cfcadc2b3eebf3d7326.jpg

996c61ed87aae2c3391f2b4540b92f2f.jpg

cf1fbb475a69698562f2993dd6a170fc.jpg

Sent via Moto G(6) on Project File/T-Mobile using Tapatalk

I am sailing on the Bliss July 7. It honestly makes no sense to me, either if I use my $125 perk for 250 mins or as a payment toward an upgrade, but she insisted because the package is free, I cannot upgrade it.

I read through what you posted and no where though does it say anything specifically about being able to upgrade the free 250 minutes to an unlimited plan. It all appears to apply to purchased 250 minute plans upgraded to unlimited. Those are also promotions and are less online than $125. By the same token, no where on the free 250 minute plan does it say not eligible to be applied for an upgrade.

The call agent told me some guest services might do it, but they are not supposed to. Not sure I want to take the chance when I have to switch perks at least 48 hours before sailing, and I would rather the SDP for 2 if I cannot upgrade.

That's breaking news to me & others, first piece of news from agents at their call centers being "reported" now ... which ship is this applicable to ?? Or, is this a new fleetwide policy change ??

The option to upgrade was still valid this May ... and offered in "writing" The FAS Promo package has a $125 trade-up value for upgrade purposes.

cd58eb3b8d7b680926378b64e1c08b2a.jpg

These are "older" printed guides - without the newest 3-tiered premium unlimited streaming package, priced at $34.95 per day. All other bundles or plans, on ships offering the 3 tiers, do NOT allow streaming.

8e4b0a8d7fb86cfcadc2b3eebf3d7326.jpg

996c61ed87aae2c3391f2b4540b92f2f.jpg

cf1fbb475a69698562f2993dd6a170fc.jpg

I am sailing on the Bliss July 7 ... The call agent told me some guest services might do it, but they are not supposed to. Not sure I want to take the chance when I have to switch perks at least 48 hours before sailing, and I would rather the SDP for 2 if I cannot upgrade.
Here ... zoom in, lower portion of the 1st. screenshot, from this May on the Gem, it's again in writing.

60a67cb56029a219f8fce54553428a2d.jpg

33f6d9c1bacd0c15ce8da2f1ae15ace7.jpg

It's your money & perks, feel free to do whatever ... But, the upgrade is NOT done by Guest Services, it's DIY via the App and/or by seeing the iCafe manager during her/his posted office hours. The printed info/guide are distributed & available there.

Happy cruising on the Bliss, regardless.

Edited by mking8288

So the original poster was asking about streaming videos. We have been on 5 different ships and the wifi isn't fast enough to stream video consistently. Especially during peak use times. I would download some movies to a laptop or tablet before you leave for the cruise

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We upgraded our WiFi perk to unlimited on the second day of the cruise. The concierge said they were running a special, and I think it cost about $55 or so. Not sure if they do that all the time, but worth looking into.

I was on the Breakaway at the end of May. We had two 250 minute internet packages (one freestyle choice, one Distinctive Voyages). After reading here that people were able to combine those two packages and upgrade to unlimited for not too much money, that's what I planned to do. I went to the internet manager on the first day and he told me that was not possible. That if I wanted unlimited I'd have to buy the entire package. I passed. Also, when I set everything up, it only showed one 250 minute package, not the two I had. He said you use one and once you are finished with it, you must go back to see him and he'd set us up with the next one. Not a huge deal, I guess, but you do have to make another trip there, go during the internet manager's open hours and wait in line a second time.

I asked the internet manager if this "you must buy the unlimited package" (vs. using the two you have to offset the cost of the unlimited package) if you want unlimited was a new policy and he said no, it's always been that way on the ship.