Cel Phone Question

pugmadkate

We are cruising to Alaska soon. Cannot wait! My question today is about cel phones. We are going to be in port in Victoria, Canada for one day. Do we need to do an international plan for our cel phones? Our provider is AT&T.

Simple answer. If you want use your cellphone in Canada, you will get charged International roaming rates if you do not have a plan in place. A few years back someone from my company tethered their phone to their work laptop to do some email. They did not want to use the hotel wifi and pay the $25 charge. Ended up costing over $900 in overages.

Check with AT&T. Larger data plans include free Canada and Mexico...ours does.

AT&T has several other options, like a $10 for 24 hours extension of your standard plan. We have that for the rest of the world, besides Canada and Mexico. Works very well.

AT&T has International Day Pass. It’s absolutely free to put on your plan, and once you are roaming in another country billed $10/day and your plan is identical (ie you are using exact plan you do daily).

Check with AT&T. Larger data plans include free Canada and Mexico...ours does.

AT&T has several other options, like a $10 for 24 hours extension of your standard plan. We have that for the rest of the world, besides Canada and Mexico. Works very well.

You only get charged the $10 if you actually use your phone (that means receiving a text message can trigger the daily charge). Best to keep your phone off unless you need to use it in Victoria.

Check with AT&T before your trip. We have Verizon and when we got to Victoria, we had a message on our cell phones that we could pay $5 per phone to have access. On our previous trip to Victoria a few years earlier, we never got the message so I'm assuming it was something that was added to our plan to be competitive. But I would definitely call to make sure you know the rules before you get there. Enjoy --Victoria is beautiful. The first time there we just walked around and really enjoyed that. The next time we went to Butchart Gardens and it was so beautiful. I'm sure whatever you decide to do, you will love the city.

We were just in Canada for a cruise and had our phones in airplane mode for most of it. AT&T has an $10 international plan for 24 hours that activates immediately if you sign up for it. No charge if you don’t use it. We were in Victoria for a port stop on a previous Alaska cruise. We were only there for a few hours and had a local map. We found it easy to walk around using the map and did not turn on our cell phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk