Equinox Live June 16-23, 2018

BermudaBound2014

Thanks for this! We are on the boat next week and your daily reviews are great! Enjoy!

We will be there 6/23-6/30 as well.

Thanks for the Compass reports. I know they won't be 100% the same for us, but pretty close is good enough.

we're sailing Saturday three!!!!!!

John and Cheryl:D:D:D

We will be there 6/23-6/30 as well.

Thanks for the Compass reports. I know they won't be 100% the same for us, but pretty close is good enough.

We're sailing Saturday too, errrr FIVE - well, TWO of us in TWO days !

Tom and Cheryl

Great thread Bermuda

In 9 days we will be on our sixth Equinox cruise … our first was 10/09, 6 weeks after her maiden voyage.

Probably will take a walk in Key West but don't plan on getting off on any other port....did them too many times.

WE keep on missing Captain Kate but I'm sure we'll catch her one day. Did catch a glimpse when she was onboard prior to her taking the helm on next cruise but that was it.

Bermuda, just love your ongoing review. We sail this same itinerary on June 30... so it is particularly helpful. I assume that the timing of our stops will likely be the same as yours... which is a bit different than what was published. I especially like the unique info you provided like the shot of the vending machine. Our first Celebrity cruise was Equinox last Sept.... then we did Silhouette in November and Eclipse in April. We usually do Royal but decided to try Celebrity and have not been disappointed... while there is much to like about Royal's Oasis class ships.... Celebrity is just so relaxing and not as frenetic as Oasis class. I always feel obligated to make show reservations... and then figure out when I can eat... then print out my calendar. On Celebrity there is not as much to do... but.... we decide if we want to see a show... as we finish dinner... not pre planning required. Now I will say that I do like the entertainment a bit more on Royal... but think the food is better on Celebrity. Nothing wrong with the food on Royal...but I think there is something lost when making meals for 5000 passengers.. It may just be my impression. Anyway... we will be trying Edge later in the year....

Thanks everyone- appreciate the kudos as nice to know my efforts aren’t floating aimlessly in cyberspace :).

I’m back on board after a terrific day in the Cayman Islands. I rarely do cruise ship excursions and this one reminded me why (more on that later), but when was the last time you ever had an excursion run LONgER than advertised? What could have been a cluster was made up for a crew not rushing a thing. But like I said, more later. Let me catch up first.

Last nights dinner was very good- service excellent. Skipped dessert thinking we would grab something from the cafe’ but by the time we got around to it, the midnight hour had struck. It’s seriously ok because my dress felt abnormally tight and there is plenty of cruise time left.

Stopped for a few rounds of gender wars. The venue for that could use some tweaking as the constant stream of the crowd kept adding men to the ladies side and visa versa. The host was getting a bit frustrated. The actual wars were well done. Good questions- well organized. Women won first round.

Went to the comedy show which was EXCELLENT! Super funny. Laugh with tears funny. He just boarded the ship today so he will be on for awhile. His name is in the planner I posted. I’m so bad with names. I want to say Jamel? He was in the tonight show 3 times and various Comedy Central stunts. The real thing. Do yourself a favor and see his act. I

Did the ROX party pool side. The night was glorious! Not too hot but not cold. Windy. Overall A great evening on the Caribbean Sea. It was more of an act than a party. The singers/dancers from the show perform various rock tunes starting Pat Benitar including the Stones, Journey, melloncamp, etc... As with the stage show in the theatre some of the singers and dancers are very good. Both shows I’ve seen on the pool deck have made a conscious effort to include the kids in dancing part which is quite sweet.

Speaking of children, There are VERY few children onboard. I think there were more kids on our 10 day Norway sailing, and that itinerary doesn’t attract children. One would expect more children on a summer break Caribbean cruise, but not so much that I have seen. Even the pool is pretty mellow in terms of kids playing. If I were taking a child I probably would not select celebrity as my first choice, BUT if I really wanted to sail celebrity I would not worry that the kids would not be taken care of. Bells and whistles aren’t there but with so few children I think they may get more attention from staff. Just my observation.

After the performance part of “ROX” the DJ played tunes and the crowd was Into it. Bowie, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, GnR, overall a really good set for an 80s girl.

Woke this morning to dark skies and serious thunder. Currently sitting on the balcony with my coffee. It’s raining outside and absolutely PERFECT! The rain has cooled down the air to less than Hell2000 degrees and I always enjoy the sort of peace a good shower brings.

I ordered an omelet and bacon with pastry to be delivered this morning because with an 11 arrival into grand cayman I felt that the buffet and mdr would be packed. Have I mentioned it’s the little things? I can’t think of one single line I’ve sailed in the last five years that will deliver an actual hot breakfast without a charge. I ordered off the tv late last night (i think it was around 1:30 by the time I got back to the room). Immediately room service phoned to repeat my order. They call when the order is on the way up giving time to put on a robe. Today Melanie called after room service was delivered to make sure everything was good. The order actually came 100% correct and warm... like when was the last time THAT has Happened? I’m falling madly in love with this line!!

Celebrity does get a ding for leaving debarkation tags on Wednesday. Why the rush :)

bca54c9005559ef32ab853fada2a8c48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today’s planners.

Ps- Helen you were absolutely correct (of course), the time changes were posted on the day one planner. The day in Grand Cayman will be on Central Time for those of you making independent arrangements.

7d7a9af5f801efad88b12cf0db195361.jpg

d6ddbaa63c9a8578107c1fc3fb898735.jpg

09c6c45790a04f946c6fc03ee82f4a51.jpg

c9c12c74f6ca139a1a8dab839994fc16.jpg

We pulled into grand cayman just around 9:30 and the tenders were ready and waiting. The captain announced that we were clear from customs and ready to board tenders at 9:55. Notice I believe this is a full hour ahead schedule from what I have written down for this altered itinerary, but i need to check my notes to be sure.

A slight slip up on behalf of the shore excursion folks. We got to the theatre at 10:05 and he was announcing that the ship had yet to be cleared so we must wait here. The captain had cleared the ship 10 minutes earlier :).

I’m an organizer by nature and the whole tour process could have been organized a bit better. You arrive in the theatre on deck 4. You must walk down to deck 3 to get your sticker. Then when your number is called you walk back up to deck 4 then down to deck 2. There is a very easy, much more streamline process obvious. I’m retiring in 2 years and will be available for hire if celebrity is interested ;-).

So, the timing of today’s tour was supposed to be 4 hours. Here is how it actually went-

10:15: stated arrival time in theatre.

11:00- boarded tender

11:45- boarded bus. There was some unnecessary bottle necking at the pier waiting for bus.

12:00- board boat. It was more like a ghetto barge. Think Vaporetto only with stainless steel bench seating, but she did the trick and the captain and crew were so amazingly patient.

12:30- arrive sting ray city

2:00- arrive rum point

3:30 - depart rum point

4:30- arrive bus

4:45- arrive tender

5:30- back on boat

We had 4.5 hours on the boat part of the actual tour not including transfer and tender times. It was over 7 hours including travel (bus and tender).

Sting ray city always looks so quiet and peaceful ....

4b0e898ab3f008004ce4a52c1bbc2d6d.jpg

NOT...

5d4d171739b2c9fc7a9ef54a804e9470.jpg

But the rays were very cooperative today and the water much calmer than when I visited last December.

4c07e47ccfabc76e8ea8e1481fa9e7f4.jpg

2bfec4414d366743769df6e111470a71.jpg

We sail this same itinerary on June 30... so it is particularly helpful. I assume that the timing of our stops will likely be the same as yours... which is a bit different than what was published.

I'm on the June 30th sailing as well, and as far as I know we're still on the original (unmodified) Western itinerary that Visits Grand Cayman before Cozumel and Costa Maya. Did Celebrity contact you telling you otherwise? If so I need to replan our own shore activities... [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone- appreciate the kudos as nice to know my efforts aren’t floating aimlessly in cyberspace :).

I’m back on board after a terrific day in the Cayman Islands. I rarely do cruise ship excursions and this one reminded me why (more on that later), but when was the last time you ever had an excursion run LONgER than advertised? What could have been a cluster was made up for a crew not rushing a thing. But like I said, more later. Let me catch up first.

Last nights dinner was very good- service excellent. Skipped dessert thinking we would grab something from the cafe’ but by the time we got around to it, the midnight hour had struck. It’s seriously ok because my dress felt abnormally tight and there is plenty of cruise time left.

Stopped for a few rounds of gender wars. The venue for that could use some tweaking as the constant stream of the crowd kept adding men to the ladies side and visa versa. The host was getting a bit frustrated. The actual wars were well done. Good questions- well organized. Women won first round.

Went to the comedy show which was EXCELLENT! Super funny. Laugh with tears funny. He just boarded the ship today so he will be on for awhile. His name is in the planner I posted. I’m so bad with names. I want to say Jamel? He was in the tonight show 3 times and various Comedy Central stunts. The real thing. Do yourself a favor and see his act. I

Did the ROX party pool side. The night was glorious! Not too hot but not cold. Windy. Overall A great evening on the Caribbean Sea. It was more of an act than a party. The singers/dancers from the show perform various rock tunes starting Pat Benitar including the Stones, Journey, melloncamp, etc... As with the stage show in the theatre some of the singers and dancers are very good. Both shows I’ve seen on the pool deck have made a conscious effort to include the kids in dancing part which is quite sweet.

Speaking of children, There are VERY few children onboard. I think there were more kids on our 10 day Norway sailing, and that itinerary doesn’t attract children. One would expect more children on a summer break Caribbean cruise, but not so much that I have seen. Even the pool is pretty mellow in terms of kids playing. If I were taking a child I probably would not select celebrity as my first choice, BUT if I really wanted to sail celebrity I would not worry that the kids would not be taken care of. Bells and whistles aren’t there but with so few children I think they may get more attention from staff. Just my observation.

After the performance part of “ROX” the DJ played tunes and the crowd was Into it. Bowie, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, GnR, overall a really good set for an 80s girl.

Woke this morning to dark skies and serious thunder. Currently sitting on the balcony with my coffee. It’s raining outside and absolutely PERFECT! The rain has cooled down the air to less than Hell2000 degrees and I always enjoy the sort of peace a good shower brings.

I ordered an omelet and bacon with pastry to be delivered this morning because with an 11 arrival into grand cayman I felt that the buffet and mdr would be packed. Have I mentioned it’s the little things? I can’t think of one single line I’ve sailed in the last five years that will deliver an actual hot breakfast without a charge. I ordered off the tv late last night (i think it was around 1:30 by the time I got back to the room). Immediately room service phoned to repeat my order. They call when the order is on the way up giving time to put on a robe. Today Melanie called after room service was delivered to make sure everything was good. The order actually came 100% correct and warm... like when was the last time THAT has Happened? I’m falling madly in love with this line!!

Celebrity does get a ding for leaving debarkation tags on Wednesday. Why the rush :)

bca54c9005559ef32ab853fada2a8c48.jpg

Wondering if your lack of kids is because a lot of schools are just getting out this week? It may ramp up in the next week or so? I know some schools have been out for weeks but here in the PA/NJ area we have been making up snow days and just got out very late last week/early this week. I know the district where my parents live just got out yesterday!

My first time around, I refused to get in the water with the stingrays. It was absolutely mesmerizing to watch the rays move en mass as new boats, with squid, arrived.

Second trip and much calmer waters (first time around, two ships pulled anchor and moved to the other side of the island requiring busing from original drop off), I decided to get in. So much fun, have excursion booked for August.

Overall I would recommend this tour for an inexpensive ($69) ship excursion to see the rays. You can do much better on your own, but like I said I was worried about rendering so opted for a shore excursion. In retrospect it wasn’t necessary but I did have a fabulous day so I’m not complaining.

The “barge” did not come with a safety drill (where the lifejackets are, etc...). Perhaps that is because they are in a ratted and tattered compartment (see photo). Also, the wAter and refreshments were served in gallon jugs. You had water, Something pink, or something orange. The co captain blared rap which appealed to the three people under 30.The whole tour was sort of low budget, but again the captain made up for it by taking so much time with us in the water. He said he would not leave until everyone got to kiss a ray and he meant it.

Notice life jacket compartment...

65eb9f12e8bcc78f604a77890dd7a0f6.jpg

But then there was THIS, so who can complain?

89040a201f97e9e0c08eb5e2ddae8d9b.jpg

I signed up for a 24 hour internet pass and it’s flying! I was able to upload video of today’s ray encounter to Facebook with about the same speed as at home. Those who need the net, no worries. It’s usable- expensive but usable. This Is where I miss the $9 a day voom pricing on rcl.

Let me see if I can catch on some requests. I believe someone wanted to see fruit?

c61bc1b092f41c7563c072981313b4a1.jpg

1833b6febe4b2150cdc2c8b9f2e650df.jpg

296777489913934503bb9056daf131e4.jpg

Breakfast buffet- there is a cinnamon roll station- A STATION!! Why did I not know this....fbcb0add84f9d96451a1e88d326e88ed.jpg

Lots of the typical stuff only a bit nicer. They toast for you (avoiding all those hands touching bread that then touches the toaster). All different types of bagels and breads- they even toast raisin bread :)

14700940d57635547b088654a0acde5c.jpg

7d5726f6e2170be8accbe456831e480c.jpg

0c604ff254fdaad783e11efcca50fc10.jpg

Toppings for oatmeal and such...4637198e46625bfd879c0b380af02916.jpg