Probably a dumb internet question

mnh

We are cruising on Anthem this fall...Canada and New England. For work reasons I need to check emails daily...several times :(

One of my friends that is sailing with me doesn't think we need to buy the Internet package based on her Alaska cruise experience...she thinks that sailing closer to land will not incur roaming. Her theory is Canada/New England will be the same as Alaska.

I am not so sure....anyone know? And yes we are techincally challenged!

I have made this trip three times so far. The Anthem as well as the other cruise ships are too far out to sea. Basically, while you are in port you have coverage -- other than that you will have "cellular at sea" service with applicable data charges unless you have some form of a plan.

once you leave port.. the only access will be via the ships inter web service. so, unless you can time your checking to when you are in port.......

we were in Bar harbor( a tender port) and too far out to catch a land based tower signal.

One of my friends that is sailing with me doesn't think we need to buy the Internet package based on her Alaska cruise experience...she thinks that sailing closer to land will not incur roaming

Has she checked her phone bill? Other than a few hours out of Seattle/Vancouver there's no land based cell towers you can reach. While you are seeing all that great scenery in Alaska, the same thing - you won't pick up a land based cell tower until you are within about 15 miles of the port - the same will be true on Anthem. The only thing you will have on Anthem, which is not available in Alaska (till next year on Ovation), is free texting via iMessage if you use an iPhone. Unless you can conduct the business you need to do via texts, you'll need to buy VOOM.

We are cruising on Anthem this fall...Canada and New England. For work reasons I need to check emails daily...several times :(

One of my friends that is sailing with me doesn't think we need to buy the Internet package based on her Alaska cruise experience...she thinks that sailing closer to land will not incur roaming. Her theory is Canada/New England will be the same as Alaska.

I am not so sure....anyone know? And yes we are techincally challenged!

Your friend is wrong....Pre-purchase the internet in your cruise planner for one device.

……..and you can both use it, as long as one logs off before the other logs on.