Cruise in October - Will I know In advance if weather will be a big factor?

Probably a silly question - Thinking of booking a cruise in october with cancelation insurance. If a hurricane is going to be a big factor (if it’s going to change itenararies, extend trip, etc), will I know ahead of time before taking the cruise?? Recently saw a post where October cruise was extended by many days due to hurricane. I really don’t want to be in this situation because I will have a child at home with grand parents.

So, basically, even if it’s only a day or two before, will I know if this is doing to be an issue???? I know this is really a “weather” question, but I’m not studied on weather and hurricanes. I would rather cancel the cruise if this may be an issue.

Thanks!!

I personally would never book a cruise during hurricane season.

Just as a note, if you are that worried about the weather I would suggest just not booking it if you can't even be 1 day flexible on your time frame.

And if you DO book, scour whatever travel insurance you are looking to buy with a magnifying glass! Read it with no distractions, have someone ELSE read it with no distractions. Then have everyone read it two more times. Then, call and ask whoever you are buying the policy from if it will cover what you want it to.

Cancel for any reason policies are not always a full reimbursement, and I have seen ones that you need to cancel a full week before your travel date, while most are 48 or 72 hours. And like was mentioned, be sure it is cancel for any reason (but read through those also!) because if the cruise line sails and you don't have the right policy, they might not cover it.

Many times you will not know if a hurricane in October will affect your cruise.

Several years ago we were booked on a back-to-back cruise out of Tampa.

We left Tampa on a Sunday. Monday we were in Key West. We were suppose to leave there at 5 PM for a western Caribbean cruise. We finally left at 8 PM with the captain making an announcement that instead of doing a western Caribbean cruise, we would be doing an eastern Caribbean cruise thanks to Hurricane Paula.

Weather is unpredictable and not all insurance policies will cover cancellations due to the weather.

I personally would never book a cruise during hurricane season.

Not everyone has the option of being able to cruise at any given time. Perhaps because of school or work schedules they have less of a choice.

I am retired and cruise during hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to November 30. Other times of the year, especially winter, can have separate weather problems.

I would never make such a blanket statement. You have to plan, and as the cruise date draws close stay on top of what is happening and hope everything works out. Chances are things will be fine.