Escaping to Bermuda - June 2018 Trip Report!

tatibus0913

We also ate at Wahoo in St. George, yummy fish and chips. You were smart to take the ride, we walked only to see the area between the town and the beach. Neat to see the churches and the houses though. Enjoying your review!

Thanks! We had planned to walk down for that reason as well, but it was easier to take the ride. By that point, we were pretty tired and ready to head back to the ship.

Friday, June 22nd: Bermuda

We were up early once again for our last day in Bermuda. We’re seriously only morning people on vacation lol. We headed up the buffet for breakfast and had some of the best eggs benedict and hash browns ever. I’m not sure how they managed a perfectly poached egg on the buffet, but it was amazing.

enhance

We headed out to figure out how to get to Horseshoe Bay. We talked to the gentleman by transportation area, who directed us to a minibus, which would cost $7.00 per person. It took about 10 minutes for the minibus to fill up, and we were off.

It took about a half hour, and we were at the beach at 9:00am. The minibus brings you directly the beach entrance, and it was really convenient.

enhance

The beach was basically empty at that point.

enhance

enhance

We rented some chairs, which were $18.00 for each one, and we paid with a credit card. It was so hot that we went into the water right away.

enhance

enhance

We spent our morning alternating between swimming and lounging. I had read about and seen pictures of how busy the beach could be, but this was about the busiest it was, and that was at 10:30am.

enhance

We decided to end our time in Bermuda with a rum swizzle from the bar.

enhance

There were also all these little birds flying around the beach. They weren’t super aggressive like the seagulls that we have at home!

enhance

At 12:30pm, we decided to head back to the ship. The minibuses were waiting in the parking lot and we left pretty quickly. As we left, the bus driver announced that he was making a quick detour to show us something. He went up a hill in a neighborhood, and we had a great view of the surrounding area.

enhance

We returned to the Dockyard and ran to the fudge kiosk to pick up some fudge. We had gotten it the first time we were in Bermuda, and it’s still some of the best fudge. The square are individually wrapped and can be brought on the ship. We returned to the Escape, where the crew had laid out the red carpet, literally. I didn’t have my camera out but they were playing music and dancing to welcome us back on board. It was fun!

We dropped our stuff in our room, and then went to get lunch at the buffet. I kept saying that I was going to have eat something healthy for once.

Chili dogs and pizza are healthy, no?

enhance

After lunch, we went back to our room for sail away and to watch for pier runners. These folks were the last ones at 2:30pm so no excitement there.

enhance

We did see a few people running to the Celebrity ship pretty close to 3:00pm though!

Sailing away from Bermuda was gorgeous. We were able to see whole expanse of the island then sail past St. Catherine’s Fort.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Despite have to rearrange our plans, we had an amazing time in Bermuda. I’ve said it a million times, but it truly is a beautiful island!

Then we got ready for dinner at La Cucina. This would be our first time eating there and we were looking forward to trying it!

Peach Bellini

enhance

Caprese

enhance

Beef carpaccio

enhance

Gnocchi

enhance

Calamari

enhance

Filet with mashed potatoes instead of polenta

enhance

Scampi

enhance

Chocolate tart

enhance

Tiramisu

enhance

Everything was great, and our server was wonderful. I’ve seen a good amount of negative comments about La Cucina but we loved our meals. Justine even said that her filet was better at La Cucina than at Cagney's!

After dinner, we went to see After Midnight, which we had reserved in advance.

enhance

The show was a lot of fun! There wasn’t really storyline, but a variety of performers singing and dancing. We loved it!

We had some time before the Glow Party so we walked around the ship for a bit, knowing we only had day left on vacation! We stopped at the chandelier, I have so many photos of it!

enhance

enhance

Then it was time for the Glow Party in Spice H2O! Alvin had quite the intro with the giant screen to get everyone excited.

enhance

enhance

enhance

They passed out necklaces and glow sticks, and the DJ was great.

enhance

enhance

We didn't stay for too long since we were tired, but we had a lot of fun dancing! We headed back to our room to get some sleep.

enhance

Thanks! I'm thinking of switching our cabin. I want to see the dockyard while in port from our balcony!

The ship seems to alternate docking on the port or starboard side; from what I've heard it has to do with lifeboat testing, but it varies. It's impossible to say for sure which side will face the dock when you're in Bermuda.

The ship seems to alternate docking on the port or starboard side; from what I've heard it has to do with lifeboat testing, but it varies. It's impossible to say for sure which side will face the dock when you're in Bermuda.

Right, it definitely varies which way they dock in Bermuda. Either side is going to have a great view, whether it's the dockyard or the rest of the island.

I liked being starboard because we were able to see the State of Liberty from our balcony when we left NYC. I also liked it for the sail away from Bermuda.

Weather and sea conditions also dictate which side of the ship docks on the pier side.

For those of you who have rented from Somerset Watersports, what was the reservation process? BF and I will be on the Escape in September and were planning on renting a Boston Whaler from them; I filled out the online form but never got a confirmation. I sent an email the next day and got a call from (I assume) the owner last night, he never got my online reservation, so he took my info over the phone and said we're booked, but he really didn't take any of my info other than my name... No fee or credit card to hold, nothing. I thought it was kinda odd; I'm a little nervous that I don't have a confirmation email or anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Alright, we will finish this up later this week! I hope everyone has a fun and safe Fourth of July holiday tomorrow!

Thank you for your review! I feel like I am on vacation!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those of you who have rented from Somerset Watersports, what was the reservation process? BF and I will be on the Escape in September and were planning on renting a Boston Whaler from them; I filled out the online form but never got a confirmation. I sent an email the next day and got a call from (I assume) the owner last night, he never got my online reservation, so he took my info over the phone and said we're booked, but he really didn't take any of my info other than my name... No fee or credit card to hold, nothing. I thought it was kinda odd; I'm a little nervous that I don't have a confirmation email or anything.

I had filled out the form on their website and didn’t get a confirmation so I sent a follow up email as well. I got an email back saying that I was all set. It seems a little strange that he didn’t take a credit card to hold the reservation but maybe he felt it wasn’t needed since he talked to you on the phone. The credit card is really to just in case you don’t show up, we paid for the jet skis after the tour. You could contact them and ask them to email you a confirmation for your records.

I had filled out the form on their website and didn’t get a confirmation so I sent a follow up email as well. I got an email back saying that I was all set. It seems a little strange that he didn’t take a credit card to hold the reservation but maybe he felt it wasn’t needed since he talked to you on the phone. The credit card is really to just in case you don’t show up, we paid for the jet skis after the tour. You could contact them and ask them to email you a confirmation for your records.
Well, the company gets great reviews, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic, lol... Thank you so much for your review, I always read Escape reviews and yours is truly one of the best, especially since we're the same itinerary as you. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

Well, the company gets great reviews, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic, lol... Thank you so much for your review, I always read Escape reviews and yours is truly one of the best, especially since we're the same itinerary as you. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

If for whatever reason Somerset falls thru you have another great option. That is H20 Sports, I actually prefer them. They are closer to the dockyard and have larger boats, they also do jet ski tours and rent kayaks and sailboats by the hour

https://www.h2osportsbermuda.com

Thanks! I'm thinking of switching our cabin. I want to see the dockyard while in port from our balcony!

Well, the Escape is docking port side this week.

It's crapshoot!

Pick your cabin at your own risk! :cool::cool::cool:

Loving the review!!! When you went out jet skiing was it cool or not that sunny out since you were there so early in the morning? I would think being there earlier there would be less crowded but it'll be my first time to Bermuda so I'm not sure. I've never been jet skiing before but I really want to try it after reading your review!