Owner's Suite with 2 Balconies vs 2 Bedroom Family Villa on the Dawn?

amygutman

Good Morning -

We have an opportunity to try the Owner's Suite with 2 balconies on the Dawn vs our booked 2 Bedroom Family Villa. We've loved the 2 bedroom villa in the Haven (Gem, Escape and Breakaway), and this is the same layout as far as we can tell - just not in the Haven as the Dawn is an older ship. We are travelling in the summer, so not having an enclosed pool space is not a big deal - especially on a smaller ship with (hopefully) less craziness in the mail pool.

The Owner's Suite with 2 balconies looks interesting - still the 2 separate areas, 2 bathrooms, and although the 2nd "bedroom" is a pullout couch, it's perfect for our 9 yo son.

Anyone have any thoughts on pros / cons? I know room selection is highly personable but I'm very curious. CruiseCritic rarely leads me in the wrong direction!

Thanks - Amy

We have stayed in OS on Jade and Jewel. The second bathroom only has a sink and toilet but we liked having it so both of us had a bathroom to use. We as adults have slept on the couch opened up as well as closed and taking back cushions off and very comfy, especially for a child. The best part of this category is having 2 balconies. The front one can be windy when at sea but able to sit out on chaise loungers and avoid the wind. The OS on deck 10 is our preference because it has the separate dining area in a nook as opposed to right in the living room. Makes the room feel bigger. The front balcony may not be as deep on 10 as on deck 9. We have stayed in both types and really love this category. So if you can afford it, I don’t think you will regret it.

I’ve stayed in the OS on the Gem on deck 10. We loved it. The front balcony was amazing for sailing in and out of ports. The additional nook for the dining made the room feel huge. There is only a curtain to separate the living area and pull out couch to the bedroom. There were only 2 of us so no issue.

2nd toilet/sink was handy for guests etc. I would book this room in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps :-)

I thought the villa on the Dawn is three bedroom.

I think the OP meant 2 bedroom family suite not villa. The Garden Villa on the Dawn is definitely three bedrooms and I can't see anyone contemplating on going from the Garden Villa down to an OS. One bonus to keep in mind for the adults in the OS is you get your pick of three bottles of booze and the soft drinks and water are free in the OS.

If you're talking about the 2 bedroom suite on the Dawn, I just finished a trip in one and it should a good fit for a couple with a 9 year old in terms of space and storage. Most kids would enjoy their own room and bathroom! (Caution - the pull out bed basically becomes a mattress on the floor, so for adults it's a bit more of a workout to get in and out of it)

Having previously cruised in the SJ suites on the Dawn (amazing views, no balcony), I was a little disappointed in the 2 bedroom suite. It was a peculiar set up -- from the Master bed you basically have a view of the bathroom. It looks amazing in the videos/photos as you envision yourself bathing at sea... but it's still a bathroom, and the steward puts the shade down every morning, so unless you constantly put it up yourself (by going into the shower/tub), your Master bedroom faces a bathroom and a shaded window. We didn't bother with the tub, but the shower floor was extremely slippery to the point where we used the shower in the small back bedroom for safety reasons.

The toilet has a glass door that is open around the edges, and in our case the sliding doors to the Master bedroom did not work, creating privacy issues (one side was stuck off the track in the wall - the steward said they knew about it). So no bathroom/tub/shower privacy except by the active cooperation of your fellow travelers. And even if the sliding door did work, it didn't look like it was any kind of actively sound proofed situation if you planned, say, to have kids sleeping in the living room and watching tv there after you went to bed. Better than just a curtain (which it also has to separate the Master from its bathroom); not nearly as secure as the back bedroom door, which was identical to the one from the suite into the hallway.

Because our suite was combinable with the balcony room next door, it led to a peculiar setup where there was a keyed entry door from the hallway, then after you passed through the vestibule, you could enter the balcony room beside you (it was secured against us as we hadn't booked it). The second (child's) bedroom/bathroom included in this 2 BR suite was across from that ... also with a keyed door. This door was held open with a rubber doorstop the whole week. I never got around to asking what would happen if I shut it. Presumably the person inside could always get OUT, but if I were putting a kid in there I'd want to make sure I had a key to get IN under all circumstances. Then there was another heavy keyed door to the rest of the suite (also held open with a doorstop). We kicked and tripped over those doorstops all week. I guess, however, that you could lock the Master bedroom/bathroom/livingroom/balcony apart from the back bedroom if you so chose. So that would ensure privacy (if the key card of the person/people in the back room did not open it).

We never got around to asking about this peculiar setup, but if anybody knows I'd be interested. One suite, 2 keyed doors beyond the hallway door, plus an optional third.

I do much prefer the Dawn to the Breakaway. Much smaller ship, yet much better public spaces.

I’ve sailed in the OS with 2 balconies on the Dawn....10006 to be exact! I’ve also sailed on other ships in a 2BR suite. If I had to choose between the two with one young child, I’d go for the OS!! Sure you only have 1.5 bathrooms instead of two, but I really felt there was more room in the OS than the 2BR. PLUS, you get bottles of alcohol with the suite and all the pop (soda) that you want!

I love the forward balcony, even underway and the side balcony is pretty big and covered enough so you can enjoy it even during inclement weather!

If you decide on the OS, try to snag one on deck 10! The layout is a bit different, and the suite is a big larger than those on deck 9.

Hi

I've sailed in both the OS with 2 balconies (deck 9 and 10) and the 2 BR family suite (deck 11) on the Dawn. When it is just the two of us I like the the OS. Last year we sailed with our 2 granddaughters and the 2 BR suite worked out great. We liked having the second BR so when they were sleeping we still had living space for ourselves. If we had been in the OS they would have slept in the pull out couch in the LR and we wouldn't have had any place to unwind by ourselves. We did miss the extra balcony space of the OS but that was a small give up. I would recommend the 2 BR, given you have a 9 year old, but in the end it's your choice.

Happy sailing whatever you decide.

I think the OP meant 2 bedroom family suite not villa. The Garden Villa on the Dawn is definitely three bedrooms and I can't see anyone contemplating on going from the Garden Villa down to an OS. One bonus to keep in mind for the adults in the OS is you get your pick of three bottles of booze and the soft drinks and water are free in the OS.

I'd have to look, but the 2BR Family Villa term has been used in the past by NCL. That as opposed to the GV. The language might have been "pre" change to current room categories when the 2BR - typically a SC or H4 - was an AB on most ships.

The info posted above pretty much has it summed up well.

As said, deck 10 is generally considered better room than 9.

On Dawn/Star, there are glass doors that close between master and living room with curtains. Jewel class just curtains.

Shower doesn't overlook the ocean like the 2BR but you have a tub with a window. TV by tub reportedly taken out after last drydock.

ive stayed in the 2 bed family suites on Gem and Star. They are lovely and have a full second bathroom.

for just the three of you, tho, id opt for the owner's suite with two balconies. while i have nto stayed in one, i have toured one on a cabin crawl and it is my dream cabin.

I see on Jewel class they are still using the term "Villa" as part of the name for the 2BR Haven room. Before "Haven" was introduced and the categories changed to what they are now, they called the Jewel Class now Haven area the "Courtyard Villa".

We have stayed in OS on Jade and Jewel. The second bathroom only has a sink and toilet but we liked having it so both of us had a bathroom to use. We as adults have slept on the couch opened up as well as closed and taking back cushions off and very comfy, especially for a child. The best part of this category is having 2 balconies. The front one can be windy when at sea but able to sit out on chaise loungers and avoid the wind. The OS on deck 10 is our preference because it has the separate dining area in a nook as opposed to right in the living room. Makes the room feel bigger. The front balcony may not be as deep on 10 as on deck 9. We have stayed in both types and really love this category. So if you can afford it, I don’t think you will regret it.

Thank you so much for your input - I love, love, love a good balcony!

Amy

Thank you very much - our child usually finds his way into our bed anyway for movie nights...but glad to know there are options for him!

Amy

Definitely NOT the garden villa...that would be a dream vacation with good friends or family. As gorgeous as it is, 3 bedrooms is a waste for a family of 3

2 bedroom vs 2 balcony OS...thanks - Amy

If you're talking about the 2 bedroom suite on the Dawn, I just finished a trip in one and it should a good fit for a couple with a 9 year old in terms of space and storage. Most kids would enjoy their own room and bathroom! (Caution - the pull out bed basically becomes a mattress on the floor, so for adults it's a bit more of a workout to get in and out of it)

Having previously cruised in the SJ suites on the Dawn (amazing views, no balcony), I was a little disappointed in the 2 bedroom suite. It was a peculiar set up -- from the Master bed you basically have a view of the bathroom. It looks amazing in the videos/photos as you envision yourself bathing at sea... but it's still a bathroom, and the steward puts the shade down every morning, so unless you constantly put it up yourself (by going into the shower/tub), your Master bedroom faces a bathroom and a shaded window. We didn't bother with the tub, but the shower floor was extremely slippery to the point where we used the shower in the small back bedroom for safety reasons.

The toilet has a glass door that is open around the edges, and in our case the sliding doors to the Master bedroom did not work, creating privacy issues (one side was stuck off the track in the wall - the steward said they knew about it). So no bathroom/tub/shower privacy except by the active cooperation of your fellow travelers. And even if the sliding door did work, it didn't look like it was any kind of actively sound proofed situation if you planned, say, to have kids sleeping in the living room and watching tv there after you went to bed. Better than just a curtain (which it also has to separate the Master from its bathroom); not nearly as secure as the back bedroom door, which was identical to the one from the suite into the hallway.

Because our suite was combinable with the balcony room next door, it led to a peculiar setup where there was a keyed entry door from the hallway, then after you passed through the vestibule, you could enter the balcony room beside you (it was secured against us as we hadn't booked it). The second (child's) bedroom/bathroom included in this 2 BR suite was across from that ... also with a keyed door. This door was held open with a rubber doorstop the whole week. I never got around to asking what would happen if I shut it. Presumably the person inside could always get OUT, but if I were putting a kid in there I'd want to make sure I had a key to get IN under all circumstances. Then there was another heavy keyed door to the rest of the suite (also held open with a doorstop). We kicked and tripped over those doorstops all week. I guess, however, that you could lock the Master bedroom/bathroom/livingroom/balcony apart from the back bedroom if you so chose. So that would ensure privacy (if the key card of the person/people in the back room did not open it).

We never got around to asking about this peculiar setup, but if anybody knows I'd be interested. One suite, 2 keyed doors beyond the hallway door, plus an optional third.

I do much prefer the Dawn to the Breakaway. Much smaller ship, yet much better public spaces.

Thanks for the detailed info. The keyed door situation seems rather odd - I just checked on photos on a website that has deck plans (apparently we cannot list it on the forum), and I agree...very strange.

NCL floors are really slippery - I agree...we bring a bathmat for each cruise and just dispose of after. 10$ at Walmart and everyone is safe.

As for overlooking the bathroom - same set-up as the Gem, and to me...a sunrise is a sunrise!!!

Much appreciation - Amy

I’ve sailed in the OS with 2 balconies on the Dawn....10006 to be exact! I’ve also sailed on other ships in a 2BR suite. If I had to choose between the two with one young child, I’d go for the OS!! Sure you only have 1.5 bathrooms instead of two, but I really felt there was more room in the OS than the 2BR. PLUS, you get bottles of alcohol with the suite and all the pop (soda) that you want!

I love the forward balcony, even underway and the side balcony is pretty big and covered enough so you can enjoy it even during inclement weather!

If you decide on the OS, try to snag one on deck 10! The layout is a bit different, and the suite is a big larger than those on deck 9.

Thank you, thank you...!

Amy

Many thanks to the forum - you've convinced me to at least took a serious look at the OS - we love the 2 bedroom, and I fear falling in love with an even more pricey category! Hey...paradise is paradise but paradise with TWO balconies and bar service in the room...well, that's just even better.

Have a great weekend - this put a smile on my face leading in to a 48 hour holiday weekend shift...dreaming of the holiday....