Mosquitoes

Vyleel

Going on the 7 day Northbound cruise, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We have one night in Anchorage.

We are a tasty group but figured we could get away with having one or two cans of repellent. Or maybe the mosquito bracelets.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Going on the 7 day Northbound cruise, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We have one night in Anchorage.

We are a tasty group but figured we could get away with having one or two cans of repellent. Or maybe the mosquito bracelets.

Thanks!

Unless you're going out into the wilderness you should be fine in these ports. Instead of a spray can we like the Off brand wipes instead...much easier to keep with you and apply.

We spent a week on land and a week on a cruise in June of '17. I don't remember even seeing a mosquito on the cruise portion. On the land portion we only encountered them when we ventured into the wilderness. We never had a problem with them in town.

Alaskan mosquito's are Zika free. Totally safe to feed.

Sure, and they probably don't carry dengue or malaria either but they still bite and those bites itch and some of us are extra sensitive (or tasty ;-) and the bites swell up. So, you know, an oz of prevention is still worthwhile to many of us;p

And yes, I've been told MANY times that it's the wrong season or they won't bite in town or.....I still end up with mosquito bites. You do you, right?

In 10 trips to Alaska, I can only remember getting ONE mosquito bite. That was while hiking in Skagway to Yakuntania Point and Smugglers Cove. As soon as I got bit, I put on bug spray and made the rest of the family use it. That one bite did swell up pretty bad and lasted for weeks, so I'm glad I didn't get any more. Do carry bug spray (or wipes) but don't expect them to be a huge issue unless you are in more remote areas.

The mosquito is the state bird of Alaska but the towns do have mosquito abatement departments like most towns in the lower 48. But be prepared, especially if you go out of town at all.

Bring the bug wipes; easy to pack and apply. Mosquitoes are huge and pesky if you are in the woods. If a Floridian says this, you have to believe it’s true!

Since we are doing a post land cruise also, I have decided to take the bug wipes. Thanks for the reminder as I hadn't thought anything about that!