North to Alaska, Shadowmeboy's Jewel Shimmering Pictorial Review

shadowmeboy

IMG_2557-L.jpg

Wade Cleophas - Beverage Manager

IMG_2558-L.jpg

Celeste Venter - Cruise Next Manager - she was on the Star last December when we sailed.

IMG_2559-L.jpg

Maria Theresa Mangat - Restaurant Manager

IMG_2561-L.jpg

JC Sanchez - Cruise Director

IMG_2562-L.jpg

Eric De Leon - Executive Housekeeper

IMG_2563-L.jpg

Jose Luis Piedra - Guest Service Manager

Can you comment on the cell phone reception/LTE data on the ship through the US carriers? Since it sails so close to the coast, were you able to pick up a signal for email/texting/browsing/etc?

IMG_2565-L.jpg

Jellica Bisenio - Group Service Coordinator

IMG_2567-L.jpg

We got pictures with the Officers.

Once the Officers left, we did a couple door prizes and a get to know each other activity.

IMG_2568-L.jpg

We had about 20 people show up. We had fun and met some new people!

We met up with Jenny and Jenner and headed to deck 7.

IMG_2569-L.jpg

The seas were building. We could really feel the waves. It got a lot colder.

IMG_2570-L.jpg

IMG_2571-L.jpg

IMG_2572-L.jpg

We made our way to Great Outdoors. It was really windy and rainy up there.

IMG_2573-L.jpg

Where did my nice morning weather go?

IMG_2574-L.jpg

Susan started not feeling well.

IMG_2575-L.jpg

Jenny and Jenner were cold.

IMG_2576-L.jpg

IMG_2577-L.jpg

Not very busy out here

IMG_2578-L.jpg

I got something small for a quick lunch in Great Outdoors. Jenny and Jenner went to the buffet and Susan went to the thermal suite.

I sat out there playing Candy Crush.

IMG_2579-L.jpg

Wave action through the buffet windows.

IMG_2580-L.jpg

I wandered for a little bit, ending up in O'Sheehans.

IMG_2582-L.jpg

The line for lunch.

IMG_2583-L.jpg

Java Cafe

IMG_2584-L.jpg

IMG_2585-L.jpg

IMG_2586-L.jpg

menu

IMG_2587-L.jpg

IMG_2588-L.jpg

IMG_2591-L.jpg

Mozzerella Sticks - see my extra large Ice Tea - the server was awesome to bring that!

IMG_2592-L.jpg

Chicken Burger

The food came out fast and Hot. Alaina who had sailed 2 weeks prior on the Jeweland said service at O'sheehans was lacking and slow. It took 17 minutes from sitting in the chair at a table, ordering, getting my appetizer, to receiving my entree. I got great service even with a packed restaurant. No complaints here!

--

Susan and I are going to a baseball game tonight. I need to get ready and head out.

Can you comment on the cell phone reception/LTE data on the ship through the US carriers? Since it sails so close to the coast, were you able to pick up a signal for email/texting/browsing/etc?

I only turned off airplane mode on my phone when in port or less than a mile from the port. I like to disconnect. So I can't really answer your question. Sorry :(

IMG_2490-L.jpg

Still setting up for the hot breakfast.

IMG_2491-L.jpg

IMG_2492-L.jpg

IMG_2493-L.jpg

I grabbed a danish and fruit along with some hot water and stood at the back.

IMG_2494-L.jpg

IMG_2495-L.jpg

It was at this time I heard a voice say, "Are you Shadowmeboy?" I turned and said yes. He introduced himself, Jeff, Cruise critic member jskinsd. Jeff and I started talking about Alaska and about how my review from 2016 and the Sun was awesome. I thanked him. We chatted as I took photos and just appreciated nature.

Jeff, It was awesome meeting you in person. We had some awesome talks all week long. I hope this review lives up to the quality of the last one, in your eyes! - Matthew

It was a pleasure meeting you and Susan. What a wonderful time I had. I love your passion for cruising. Although we didn't see much together, we did experienced the same things on our own and it was fun talking and telling our tales. And your reviews, the detail you provide, the time it takes to go through all the photos. Lets just say you are the "KING". Thank you for letting me relive my experience on the Jewel and for listening to a crazy old man. Oh yeah, I am thinking about doing the same B2B next month. After all an Alaskan cruise ship is my summer home.

It was a pleasure meeting you and Susan. What a wonderful time I had. I love your passion for cruising. Although we didn't see much together, we did experienced the same things on our own and it was fun talking and telling our tales. And your reviews, the detail you provide, the time it takes to go through all the photos. Lets just say you are the "KING". Thank you for letting me relive my experience on the Jewel and for listening to a crazy old man. Oh yeah, I am thinking about doing the same B2B next month. After all an Alaskan cruise ship is my summer home.

I hope you get better weather for Glacier Bay than we had if you sail the b2b again. Man, I wish I could go!

DSCF0664-L.jpg

On the bus.

IMG_1968-L.jpg

Vancouver Public Library

IMG_1970-L.jpg

IMG_20180610_161018256-L.jpg

IMG_1972-L.jpg

Queen Elizabeth Theatre

IMG_1973-L.jpg

BC Place Stadium

Vancouver is amazing! We will be there a day early before taking the Jewel to Tokyo in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vancouver is amazing! We will be there a day early before taking the Jewel to Tokyo in September.

We love visiting Vancouver whenever we can! Jenny and Jenner had only been up once before so we tried to do something a little different this time.

I hope you get better weather for Glacier Bay than we had if you sail the b2b again. Man, I wish I could go!

Hubbard glacier the second week was all fog. Couldn't see a thing. After that the skies cleared up occasionally and the sun shined. And the wildlife was more cooperative. Hardly any rain. We did go to Endicott arm and saw Dawes glacier. Four glaciers in two weeks and only one calving. Oh well that is mother nature. Fortunately I had pictures of calvings of earlier cruises to look at and share them with other cruisers. For me it takes many cruises just to see something once. And a first for me on our cruise was when the Jewel was sailing out of Ketchikan I saw bald eagle proudly perched under a waving American flag. I will carry that memory forever.

Aingeal & Harry -- can't wait... we get in on the 16th as well. Cheers -- Von

What was your get to know you activity? PS love your reviews

I made up a paper with statements prompting you to get someone’s signature. For example get the signature of someone who has sailed on 5 or more NCL ships. Get the signature of someone who lives outside of USA.

I think there we 10 of them. It forces you to mingle and talk to one another.

The scenery in this photo is exquisite! I must make my way to Vancouver one of these days.

Vancouver, Seattle, and the greater Pacific Northwest are blessed with exquisite scenery. I am truely blessed to live in such a beautiful are.

Vancouver is so much fun to explore and sail out of. Yes, definitely plan on visiting Vancouver.

Hubbard glacier the second week was all fog. Couldn't see a thing. After that the skies cleared up occasionally and the sun shined. And the wildlife was more cooperative. Hardly any rain. We did go to Endicott arm and saw Dawes glacier. Four glaciers in two weeks and only one calving. Oh well that is mother nature. Fortunately I had pictures of calvings of earlier cruises to look at and share them with other cruisers. For me it takes many cruises just to see something once. And a first for me on our cruise was when the Jewel was sailing out of Ketchikan I saw bald eagle proudly perched under a waving American flag. I will carry that memory forever.

That sucks about Hubbard. I saw calving on Marjorie Glacier and at Hubbard Glacier.

I remember you telling me about that Eagle in Ketchikan.

Following along! Your last review gave us some great tips for our April 29th sailing out of Seattle on the Pearl. Great to see you back at it!

The Jewel is identical to the Pearl, the only difference is the venue names are changed. It's making me feel so nostalgic!

Moderno - oh man, the seasoning on those lamb chops. I think about them all the time...

Oh - we are taking a little weekend vacation from Los Angeles to San Diego this weekend and your stop at Old Spaghetti Factory has inspired our dinner plans (we don't have one locally here in L.A.), after seeing all the delicious food pics.

Looking forward to reading about the remainder of your cruise. Cheers!

I am enjoying this review. I am thinking about doing a Northbound cruise on the Jewel next summer. Do you know if park rangers came on at Glacier Bay? And do they talk over the loud speaker giving descriptions? Or can you turn on your TV to hear descriptions of glaciers? I've read they do that on Princess and Holland - wondering if NCL does the same?