North to Alaska, Shadowmeboy's Jewel Shimmering Pictorial Review

shadowmeboy

Wow, what a review!!! Your details and pictures are just amazing! We did this north route 2 summers ago on Princess and I've been researching and pricing different options for next summer. I am leaning toward this exact cruise on the Jewel but can I ask why you recommend this over a round trip Seattle cruise? I've looked at those too and I'd love to hear your opinion since you've done both. Thanks!

The Northbound/southbound sailings allow for longer port times. Juneau, for example, we were in 10 hrs. The Bliss and Pearl get 6 each. You get to go to Hubbard Glacier and have the opportunity to do more than just SE Alaska. You also typically get calmer water sailing inside of Vancouver Island.

The Northbound/southbound sailings allow for longer port times. Juneau, for example, we were in 10 hrs. The Bliss and Pearl get 6 each. You get to go to Hubbard Glacier and have the opportunity to do more than just SE Alaska. You also typically get calmer water sailing inside of Vancouver Island.

Thank you! Just got off the phone with Norwegian for pricing and I think this is definitely the cruise we want :)

Great review thank you! We leave on Monday! Do you remember by any chance in the boarding process seeing signs for haven guests? I'm reading that Vancouver is a mess for priority/haven and just wanted to be prepared on where to go. Some agents are forcing them into regular boarding apparently. Thanks!

Great review thank you! We leave on Monday! Do you remember by any chance in the boarding process seeing signs for haven guests? I'm reading that Vancouver is a mess for priority/haven and just wanted to be prepared on where to go. Some agents are forcing them into regular boarding apparently. Thanks!

Vancouver did have a suite/haven check in line, but you still have to clear security and CBP in the same line as everyone else. There is a suite/haven area in the waiting area after customs.

Matthew, We are tentatively planning a SB cruise in Sept of 2020. As it stands now on the Jewel, but of course that could change. When you stopped in Skagway, did you here of anyone taking the Chilkot Eagle Preserve excursion? That is the one main highlight I am doing the cruise for.

We did the float, and to put it bluntly it was freaking awesome. I lost count of how many eagles we saw. The description of the float is pretty accurate no fast water, well not really it's moving at a pretty good clip, but it's so shallow that the chance of hitting any rapids is pretty much nonexistent. I'll admit I was a bit nervous about taking some expensive camera gear out on the river. Even it I had somehow managed to fall off the raft I don't think the gear would have gotten wet at all.

I got some amazing photo's that I still have to go through. If I can figure out a third party hosting site to use I'll put some of them up.

We did the float, and to put it bluntly it was freaking awesome. I lost count of how many eagles we saw. The description of the float is pretty accurate no fast water, well not really it's moving at a pretty good clip, but it's so shallow that the chance of hitting any rapids is pretty much nonexistent. I'll admit I was a bit nervous about taking some expensive camera gear out on the river. Even it I had somehow managed to fall off the raft I don't think the gear would have gotten wet at all.

I got some amazing photo's that I still have to go through. If I can figure out a third party hosting site to use I'll put some of them up.

clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I would love to see them.

hH2lOl4WSmi4tMxg7-EVKg?sf=1%2FrefHope this works. These are two of my favorites. They were both within ten yards of us. The adult eagle was just landing on that stump, the juvenile just watched us float by.

Didn't work. Plan B when I figure out what the heck I did wrong

A-uOuiMJTtW1btzDL858gA?sf=1%2Fref

hH2lOl4WSmi4tMxg7-EVKg?sf=1%2Fref

hH2lOl4WSmi4tMxg7-EVKg?sf=1%2FrefHope this works. These are two of my favorites. They were both within ten yards of us. The adult eagle was just landing on that stump, the juvenile just watched us float by.

Didn't work. Plan B when I figure out what the heck I did wrong

A-uOuiMJTtW1btzDL858gA?sf=1%2Fref

hH2lOl4WSmi4tMxg7-EVKg?sf=1%2Fref

OK plan B

IMG_0572_2.jpg

IMG_0583_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We just booked this cruise for July 2019 - 49th state for my 49th birthday! We have never sailed NCL, and your review has been amazingly helpful! Thank you for all of the wonderful pictures and commentary.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

If you come across any questions you need answered, just ask away!

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2018 at 11:00 AM, shadowmeboy said:

IMG_2205-L.jpg

IMG_2206-L.jpg

IMG_2207-L.jpg

we would sit up here typically for shows.

After the Theater, we headed up to deck 12 to the Spa. Susan had the Thermal Suite prepaid for the week, so she needed her sticker on the card.

spamenupg1-L.jpg

Spa price list

Spamenupg2-L.jpg

IMG_2208-L.jpg

Not sure if you will reply to this old post but did your wife feel the spa pass was worth purchasing?  I am debating on buying one but think it might be nice on some of the damp cool days to head to the spa.

13 hours ago, TSUmom said:

Not sure if you will reply to this old post but did your wife feel the spa pass was worth purchasing?  I am debating on buying one but think it might be nice on some of the damp cool days to head to the spa.

yes, she enjoyed it. She wants one for our June cruise.