Large Family Staterooms.

sofistic8ed

Hi All, I have been reading on Cruise Critic some helpful information showing videos of Family Staterooms on Royal Caribbean and Carnival ships.

My question is how do I book these types of rooms?

I have looked at these cruise ships website's and they don't even mention these particular staterooms. My family of ten are looking to cruise middle of next year and it would be helpful for me to research costs of these larger cabins.

Any advice would be great:).

These larger staterooms typically need to be booked directly by calling RCI at 866-562-7625 or through a travel agent. They are not usually available to book on line. I would guess Carnival might be the same method.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You will need to talk to RCI or possibly a travel agent as these rooms are not usually available to book on your own, I suppose because otherwise some people would try to book these nice big rooms for two people.

We had one of the window family rooms on the Navigator when we sailed with 7 grandkids. It didn't have a balcony, but the windows were so big the kids could sit in them. It has twin beds (put together for a larger bed) for us, a large sofa bed and a bunk room. We also had a balcony room.

There were curtains that divided the bed areas for privacy and plenty of closet space and room. The bunk room was so popular with the four girls that they all slept in it! They were ages 5-11, so lots of fun and giggling went on. At times one of the boys would use the sofa bed.

The only disadvantage was one bathroom, but at least we had a second one in the balcony room and the spa area was just up the stairs for showers. It was also a great price.

Thanks LEAVEITALLBEHIND, KRAZY KRUISER and Nebr.cruiser I did think may be it is an agent issue.

I have been able to look at some larger rooms now but cannot put in any amount more than four people even though they say they can sleep up to six.

Nebr.cruiser are you able to give me an approximate cost of what you paid for the large group in the stateroom with the windows and bunks? This is the style I've been looking at.

Sofistic8ed.

Thanks LEAVEITALLBEHIND, KRAZY KRUISER and Nebr.cruiser I did think may be it is an agent issue.

I have been able to look at some larger rooms now but cannot put in any amount more than four people even though they say they can sleep up to six.

Nebr.cruiser are you able to give me an approximate cost of what you paid for the large group in the stateroom with the windows and bunks? This is the style I've been looking at.

Sofistic8ed.

Even though a cabin may hold more than 4 people the reservation system with RCI will only allow a maximum of 4 per booking reservation. You'll need to call directly to book additional people and they will have a separate booking number.

Prices will vary greatly depending on ship, dates, itinerary and number of occupants, so knowing what someone else booked won't really help you that much...again just call and speak to a rep. they will be able to give you some exact figures...Best of luck.

Sofistic8ed.

Oh boy. I can guess, but the 11 year olds are now almost 19, so you can see that it was a while ago. It was a 5 day cruise in January of I think 2010. At that time it seems to me that the the first two were about $500 each and the other four were about half that. I do remember that it was a really good deal. The RCI rep really went to work to find us a good deal.

Since it was 8 years ago, I have no idea how prices are but have probably gone up. You can often find kids sail free or half price (which is what I think we paid). Also it was in January, which tends to be cheaper than when kids are out of school, and only 5 days. Sorry I can't be more specific. With a lot of research I 'maybe' could give you an exact amount. But it might not be useful this much later.

Oh boy. I can guess, but the 11 year olds are now almost 19, so you can see that it was a while ago. It was a 5 day cruise in January of I think 2010. At that time it seems to me that the the first two were about $500 each and the other four were about half that. I do remember that it was a really good deal. The RCI rep really went to work to find us a good deal.

Since it was 8 years ago, I have no idea how prices are but have probably gone up. You can often find kids sail free or half price (which is what I think we paid). Also it was in January, which tends to be cheaper than when kids are out of school, and only 5 days. Sorry I can't be more specific. With a lot of research I 'maybe' could give you an exact amount. But it might not be useful this much later.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your pricing does give me an idea on the difference between the numbers of heads in a cabin. I will find a cruise that suits and make contact with an agent. I'm in Australia so phoning there American number is not a viable option as other posts mentioned. Was very nice hearing back from you. All the best.

I have always booked large Suites and been able to find them online but I always call the cruise line to make the reservation. I would consider calling the cruise lines directly and inquiring what types of rooms they have for your situation

The cabins you're describing are few in number, and -- as a result -- they go for a premium price.

I'd much rather have a couple connecting cabins. Several rooms will give you more privacy and multiple bathrooms. We've done this with three balcony cabins in a row. We had the cabin steward open the balcony dividers, which gave us one long balcony. We left our balcony doors open so we could go from room to room without "going out into public".