Summit Live, June 27-July 8, 2018

Educators2

Happy Independence Day-

Thanks for sharing photos of our arrival into port. We were waving to many guests on the QM11 who were docked alongside us this morning.

There were many Independence Day activities-trivias, balloon drop, cupcakes passed around, etc.

If you looked outside from the upper decks, you could see many fireworks after 9pm. The major fireworks in Boston began at 10:30 pm and were shown on the outside movie screen on deck 12.

Shuttles to Quincy Market were available for $17.99 round trip. We plan to use that service tomorrow. Today was our free excursion from Distinctive Voyages. Two bus loads of guests visited Lexington and Corcord, each with a guide. It is a lovely perk from our travel agent. While we learned a lot of history, it was very hot to be outside all afternoon. Guide was excellent and the company does a great job planning activities on board, cocktail receptions, etc.

To Aldeya, I didn’t go into the spa. I asked the person in charge of the wheelchair lifts and she gave me that information.

After I wrote my post last night, I looked outside after I heard firecrackers and also saw many fireworks from our balcony. We are port side on the 7th floor. The view was better on the upper decks but it was fun to see.

If you have never been to Boston on a cruise, be aware that you need transportation to get to any attractions. I don’t know how far you have to walk for public transportation.

I do not recall the jacuzzi in the spa area. Is it something new?

I believe this is referring to the Aqua Spa area on the pool deck, nearby the T-pool. This is how I understood it. I know there are some hot tubs over there in addition to next to the main pool.

Educators2, I've enjoyed your ongoing cruise review. It sounds like a great cruise. If you have time, would you mind going to Guest Services and ask them the procedure for tendering for those in wheelchairs who cannot walk down steps to the tender platform nor walk onto the tender. (but in a manual wheelchair). Thanks.

To the Montgomery family,

Thanks for clarifying the spa issue. I went to Guest Services and the receptionist asked your question to management. The manager said that corporate does not allow crew to carry anyone onto the tender if he/she could not negotiate the steps. Maybe, you could check again on board.

To Cruizegal1,

Yes, there were two silent discos on our sailing. I heard they were lots of fun but didn’t go.

Update on shuttle,

Like NorthernAurora wrote, the Celebrity Today price and times for the shuttle didn’t match the reality. It was $15 round trip. Doublecheck the pick-up location for the return trip. We had a problem with a return trip but the staff in the terminal reimbursed us for our cab fare. They were very nice about it. The cab fare was $13 for four people.

Boston port update,

We met my husband’s cousin and tried a restaurant mentioned on our roll call, Saus. I believe it is a chain from Belgium. Not much on ambience but very good on taste and price and near Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. The restaurant was very near the Boston Holocaust Monument, a very powerful experience.

To the Montgomery family,

Thanks for clarifying the spa issue. I went to Guest Services and the receptionist asked your question to management. The manager said that corporate does not allow crew to carry anyone onto the tender if he/she could not negotiate the steps. Maybe, you could check again on board.

Thanks Educators2, for checking on this. Our cruise to Bermuda docks, so no tendering issue. But the cruise you are on sounds so nice, I was considering booking it for next year. However, I was concerned that wheelchair bound passengers may be stuck on board and not allowed to tender. When we were on the Millie several years ago, there was no elevator to the tendering platform, and they had the same restriction. Since the Millie is a sister ship to the Summit, I thought it might be the same.

We usually try to avoid sailing on ships which have a tender port and which have a tendering restriction. So we won't be booking that Summit itinerary for next year.

Since today is a sea day, I thought I would offer some general observations. I really welcome other opinions from cruisers on this itinerary since some areas are very subjective.

-The service and crew were all wonderful. Everyone is friendly and tries to make your cruise memorable.

-The ship will be refurbished in 2019 and needs some updating. Technology needs improvement.

-Gym is well-equipped and was never busy when we went.

-Activities are limited. I enjoy trivia and tickets were give to winning team. Tonight we turn in our tickets. Arts and crafts not offered on sea days..coloring offered on some port days. One speaker.

-Dining-Food was good to very good. Oceanview at dinner was very good. Great service in dining room. Spa cafe excellent. Cafe al Bacio excellent.

-Entertainment-Lots of family-friendly shows and performers. Irish flutist was excellent. Aerialists were excellent. Other shows ranged from good to not so good.

-Itinerary-Outstanding.

Edited by Educators2
typo

I was wondering if they have a "silent disco" on the Summit? I've read a few older reviews that mentioned it but nothing recently. Thanks

Yes, Silent Disco was held two nights on our June 17th 10 day. So much fun for all ages. It is very popular so definitely arrive early to be sure you get headphones.

Educators2 - I will add to your remarks as I sit at Cafe al Bacio and type this....

1) Luminae has been excellent

2) There are many children on this cruise (including our 5 year old) the most I’ve ever seen on a Celebrity cruise - but we’ve been doing europe most recently

3) Overall the ship is clean but really needs the dry dock - for example many of the chairs in the buffet are in need of replacement padding / fabric is cracking - I was surprised by the fact that about 25% of the chair are padded bridge chairs - while not the nicest to look at they are actually more comfortable then some of the existing chairs

4) Ship excursions - all of our tours have been through the ship - and with the exception of one tour guide on a walking tour in Halifax - all have been great - and that tour was ok - the issue was the guide

5) Photos @ dinner - one thing we’ve been put off by a little bit is EVERY night in luminae they keep wanting to do table pictures - this is the one of the few times I really don’t want my picture taken

6) Beverage Package - after the first day or so they stopped pushing the packages

7) Celebity Today - yes there have been some mistakes as they seem to copy and paste - for example the airport transfer notice said by the 3rd bermuda day

That’s all I can think of for now

Thanks for all the nice comments. Fellow cruisers learn a lot from each other.

Although I haven’t gone to many past cruiser events, my husband and I enjoyed the wine seminar. I can’t tell one wine from another but it was educational and fun.

Like some cruisers, I had onboard credit that I had to spend. Since we are in Newport all day tomorrow, I wanted to spend the money on something I would enjoy even if I had to add some of my own money. I did see a nice Kate Spade handbag that had no price tag and asked for a price earlier on the cruise. After a few days waiting, my husband found the same handbag on the Internet and showed it to the store manager, Cesar. He said he would contact us with a price but didn’t. Today, we inquired again and finally, we were given a price scribbled on a piece of paper. Igor, the shopping manager, wasn’t very accommodating and actually said to my husband,”Put my name in your blog. i don’t care.” The price was much higher than the online price, which could not be “matched.” Knowing that the handbag was not a good buy, I took my onboard credit elsewhere and purchased John Hardy earrings. The salesperson at that boutique was lovely and I didn’t feel that I was being “taken.” Be sure to check prices before making a purchase in the Emporium.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Fellow cruisers learn a lot from each other.

Although I haven’t gone to many past cruiser events, my husband and I enjoyed the wine seminar. I can’t tell one wine from another but it was educational and fun.

Like some cruisers, I had onboard credit that I had to spend. Since we are in Newport all day tomorrow, I wanted to spend the money on something I would enjoy even if I had to add some of my own money. I did see a nice Kate Spade handbag that had no price tag and asked for a price earlier on the cruise. After a few days waiting, my husband found the same handbag on the Internet and showed it to the store manager, Cesar. He said he would contact us with a price but didn’t. Today, we inquired again and finally, we were given a price scribbled on a piece of paper. Igor, the shopping manager, wasn’t very accommodating and actually said to my husband,”Put my name in your blog. i don’t care.” The price was much higher than the online price, which could not be “matched.” Knowing that the handbag was not a good buy, I took my onboard credit elsewhere and purchased John Hardy earrings. The salesperson at that boutique was lovely and I didn’t feel that I was being “taken.” Be sure to check prices before making a purchase in the Emporium.

Enjoy Newport, wife and I spent four days there last year, good food around town.

Educators2,

Thanks so much for posting live from the cruise. I board the ship on Sunday when you arrive back to Bayonne. And I'm also on this Independence Day cruise next year so it was very interesting to read your posts. Enjoy your day in Newport and safe travels home.

Thanks again for all the kind comments. To those cruising soon, have a super fun time.

Tonight was the second chic night, I did see a handful of gowns but not many were dressed up. Less than half the men wore sport coats. Tonight was lobster night or beef Wellington. Ashlie Amber, the entertainer, did a great tribute to Whitney Houston.

We had a half-hour window to turn in our prize tickets for trinkets. We had enough pooled tickets to bring home a nice t-shirt to remember our trivia games.

I’ll update tomorrow on tendering in a Newport.