Best internet options for Escape?

AT&T charges a little over $6000 per gigabyte on the Escape.

The Wi-Fi is greatly improved on the Escape. It use to be he absolute worst in the fleet. We had an unlimited plan in April with no issues (understanding that it is satellite internet).

I had free Internet as a promo (250 minutes) and paid $120 to upgrade to the premium unlimited vs. $80 for the regular unlimited. The $40 more allowed streaming from video and music services - I did use Sirius a few times but could have just gotten the $80.

I used my Ipod Touch and was able to get decent internet and email most of the time- there were a few indoor spots that weren't great but my cabin it worked well.

There is a lot on the ship as far as entertainment goes. A cruise is a great opportunity to introduce your kids to reality and how to enjoy it instead of having their heads in a computer screen all day. No need to pay for wifi to be entertained!
I don't think you understand what I'm getting at here. My children and I need a cheap solution for internet as we all have things we need to do within the internet. I've never been on a NCL and I was thinking it would be best to ask people who have, as they obviously have more experience. I was looking for a serious response, and not something that would just tell me to "Stop using the internet" thank you.

There are actually two different internet plans on the Escape. There is the streaming plan where you surf the net check emails and also facetime friends back home, or there is the social package where you can check your facebook page and social media.. The free 250 minute when used sparingly worked well for me on our last cruise on the Escape while my wife had the unlimited to communicate with our family and business back home...We were on the 10th deck and wifi worked great..

I had free Internet as a promo (250 minutes) and paid $120 to upgrade to the premium unlimited vs. $80 for the regular unlimited. The $40 more allowed streaming from video and music services - I did use Sirius a few times but could have just gotten the $80.

I used my Ipod Touch and was able to get decent internet and email most of the time- there were a few indoor spots that weren't great but my cabin it worked well.

Thanks a lot, that us 3 love to listen to music and my son is very into online video games so I'm sure he will appreciate that. Thanks for the feedback!

... My children and I need a cheap solution for internet as we all have things we need to do within the internet. I've never been on a NCL and ...

Understood ... welcome to CC.

Escape over the summer to Bermuda, 7 days >>>>> you will be at sea for 3 full days and most of Sunday leaving from NY, where your connectivity will be limited, poor to none (or, expensive unless switched to/upgraded to ship's satellite-based WiFi system)

Do you have the Free At Sea 250 minutes promo plan as an option, as that can be the "basis" for an upgrade to the full, unlimited and/or premium plan - especially if you have non-refundable OBC that can be applied to offset ? Otherwise, the cheaper solution will be MORE than $100 for those sea days.

From Wednesday morning to early Friday afternoon, you will be berthed at Dockyard and most likely, off the ship and exploring the islands - ship's "unlimited" WiFi, premium or basic, are useless until you are back onboard. For "roaming" on land, you will either need to have a package or something at reasonable rates to stay connected ... we have Google's Project Fi, and are covered on land at 4G/LTE or HSPA+ speed, very cheap & valid in 135+ countries, mostly on Androids but it is data friendly on iOS devices.

Dockyard on the pier has limited (and, what I consider mostly fair to poor WiFi coverage that barely reach mid-ship height on the open decks ... IMHO, not worth it - but a 3 days pass, was last reported at about $15 USD in total, not bad.

Check w. your cellular carrier about their int'l plan and passes, there are speed/data caps - not something to stream non-stop or online gaming. For teens or what not, load up the tablets & iPads with whatever and eBooks, etc. along off-line games ... unless you all want to tap the "piggy bank" for extra cash.

The key to using the limited 250 minutes plan is to turn OFF background updates, refresh & backup features, and always log-out after each use, double check to make sure that the "meter" has been stopping ... or, those "unused" airtime will be drained & gone in 3 or 4 hours.

For music & vidoes, I download ahead & carry mine on USB sticks, with generous capacity ... pack an USB powerbank and one's own noise-cancellation headsets ... an iced coffee in hand, and, I'm happy as the "available" TV channels on the ship are limited & poor, not going to spent/waste $9.99 on PPV (free only for Haven and/or suite guests ...)

Dockyard on the pier has limited (and, what I consider mostly fair to poor WiFi coverage that barely reach mid-ship height on the open decks ... IMHO, not worth it - but a 3 days pass, was last reported at about $15 USD in total, not bad.

Ugh. I was going to recommend this to the OP. I'm planning to use it myself, with no other WiFI. Have other people had better experience with the short term WiFI you can get in Bermuda? We don't need it for work, just to stay connected.

I am sailing on Sunday. I also NEED to use the internet and so does my wife. I plan to buy the streaming package for 1 person. I bought a hoo too travel router which I plan to use to share my internet with my wife, basically creating a hotspot using the ships wifi. I will report back on how well it works out.

Dockyard on the pier has limited .... (not free) WiFi coverage ...

Ugh. I was going to recommend this to the OP. I'm planning to use it myself, with no other WiFI ...

Between NCL ship's WiFi and Dockyard's WiFi on the pier, ship is better & more usable. Just simple math on bandwidth - i.e. Breakaway (and, reasonable to assume - for the Escape, with recent hardware/server upgrades) shared on a mega ship, overlapping channels & dual-band coverage - make it better, not optimal. OK, maybe sluggish during period of peak demand/usage ... just like cable internet on land.

We are blessed with Project Fi (Google WiFi) as our global plan (year-round) and T-Mobile being the other, with inexpensive access & coverage. Everywhere on the islands with DigiCel as a cellular roaming partner, even on/during the ferry ride over to St. George's ... not throttled. Our typical out-of-pocket expenses for a 7 day cruise in the Bahamas or Bermuda: less than $5 in total, including some VoiP (WiFi) calls, text messages & data usage (about 200 to 300 MB "burned" on each trip, with background update & refresh disabled/turned off).

Dockyard's WiFi plan included access to a very limited # of hotspot in Hamilton & St. George ... but, we have better things to do than to walk around hunting for a near-free WiFi signal. Not aware of any free hotspots on the island, except the one at the library. Off-duty crew members hang out at the pirate ship with the bar berthed at Dockyard with their smartphone, laptops & tablets, etc. - but, I do NOT believe it's open access for anyone. Check the Bermuda forum/board to ask & see if the locals have any news or update.

The last time on the Breakaway, sat outside near the Garden Cafe facing the pier and could NOT picked up a good WiFi signal from the pier (15 stories is "high") .... ship's WiFi was everywhere & good. Happy to get a good & solid Digicel signal, on-demand and not to worry about signing out or logging off ... that's the best for us.

I'm going to be travelling with my 15 year old son and 20 year old daughter. I am looking for something that will entertain them when we are no longer within the limits of our provider, and when we will get charged ridiculous amounts.

I bought the neatest thing off Amazon but in only works in ports. It allows unlimited Facebook messenger/ What's app etc. for a year for $25. I put the sim in an old phone. You can also get free incoming calls from the states too. If you are interested go to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q837KL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since it doesn't work when you are at sea it may not be worth it but I used it a lot at the ports I visited in Spain! Oh and it works it the USA too (they give you a Estonia phone number) but handy if you don't have wifi - think it works off AT&T or T-Mo but not sure.

I'm also interested in the wifi packages but the language that they use in the Need to Know section is throwing me off.

If the price listed is $178, is that the total cost for the whole cruise or the cost per day?

• Price displayed is per day use. Total cruise rate will be calculated based on the number of cruise days. • Can be used only on one device at a time. • Please note that some on demand content may not available. • Live streaming channels are based on your subscription package and location.

Thanks in advance!

Onboard now.

The internet is fine for messaging . Thats about it. I bought the most expensive package(the streaming package). Its slooooow. Takea good minute and a couple of refreshes to open a webpage. Forget about streaming anything.

If you need to be connected Rccl is the way to go. Far surpeior internet. Its like being at home. Ncl is like being at home during a blackout. :mad:

We did this as well but paid the $80 for regular unlimited as we had already downloaded movies. I was surprised how well it worked, not as fast as home but pretty good speeds!

Onboard ... internet is fine for messaging ... bought the most expensive ... package. Its slooooow. Take a good minute and a couple of refreshes to open a webpage. Forget about streaming anything ... Ncl is like being at home during a blackout. :mad:

Sorry to hear about that shared satellite connection not working out at sea, but I guess if they don't throttle and have some kind of capacity controlled, overselling their premium unlimited plan - and with 5,000 pax sailing during the busy summer season & lots of families with gadgets spending $$ for connectivity, things can go downhill rather quickly.

Hopefully, it will be better once in Bermuda ... but, then - most folks would be hitting the islands & staying onboard to milk the internet.

If the speed & latency are really that bad, have you considered speaking to the iCafe manager and request a refund or downgrade to the social media only plan ... won't hurt to ask, worst case is s/he say no to the request.

We will be on the (Bermuda) Escape in a few months but not counting on ship's inTERnet for anything critical - going to order another extra, free "Project Fi" data only sim for our iPad mini, since we only pay for 4G/LTE data that we used when traveling, and it's really dirty cheap once we pick up a land signal - @$10 per GB, including tethering for hotspot use, sharing among devices.

RCCL's (relatively "inexpensive") Voom is definitely the "benchmark" as one of our nieces were on a NCL T/A this April and refused to spend a dime for satellite internet & waited until they hit land during their crossing.

Sorry to hear about that shared satellite connection not working out at sea, but I guess if they don't throttle and have some kind of capacity controlled, overselling their premium unlimited plan - and with 5,000 pax sailing during the busy summer season & lots of families with gadgets spending $$ for connectivity, things can go downhill rather quickly.

Hopefully, it will be better once in Bermuda ... but, then - most folks would be hitting the islands & staying onboard to milk the internet.

If the speed & latency are really that bad, have you considered speaking to the iCafe manager and request a refund or downgrade to the social media only plan ... won't hurt to ask, worst case is s/he say no to the request.

We will be on the (Bermuda) Escape in a few months but not counting on ship's inTERnet for anything critical - going to order another extra, free "Project Fi" data only sim for our iPad mini, since we only pay for 4G/LTE data that we used when traveling, and it's really dirty cheap once we pick up a land signal - @$10 per GB, including tethering for hotspot use, sharing among devices.

RCCL's (relatively "inexpensive") Voom is definitely the "benchmark" as one of our nieces were on a NCL T/A this April and refused to spend a dime for satellite internet & waited until they hit land during their crossing.

Recently I was on RCCL Caribbean cruise. Their high speed internet, Voom, isn't bad. I paid $15 per day, and must buy one week ($105). It isn't for streaming movies which is even more expensive.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk