Few questions about first RCI cruise

Hello,

I'd like to book my first cruise (preferably on the Caribbean) and I have a few questions. I think I will choose one of the biggest ships - Harmony/Symphony of the Seas. I appreciate your help :)

1) Western or Eastern Caribbean? Which ports (and how many) would you recommend for the first cruise (7 days)? My fiancee and I are between 30 and 35 years old, we like to dive, so the places with nice coral reefs are preferable, but any other suggestions are welcome.

2) Is the end of October/beginning of November a good time for Caribbean cruise? What's the weather like at this time of year?

3) I've read that it's better to choose a cabin in the center of the ship and on the lower deck to avoid sea sickness. Is the lowest deck a good idea? Maybe there are some cons of such a location, for example noise from engines? Do you have any other advice regarding cabin choice?

Thank you for your time!

Roatan (Western) is one of the best snorkeling/diving locations in the Caribbean, but I'm not sure if Oasis class ships go there. You might have to consider a Freedom class ship (Liberty for one) to go there. Freedom out of San Juan goes to Bonaire (Southern), another excellent place for snorkeling and diving.

Anytime is a good time to visit the Caribbean.

You won't hear engine noise on any passenger deck. The engines are several decks below the lowest passenger deck.

Welcome to CC and your 1st eminent cruise! We just got off the Harmony and never felt ship movement. We had a balcony on the 7th deck near the forward elevators.

A lot of people bring ginger for sea sickness, others swear by green apples. Of course you can do OTC things like Dramamine or a wrist band (sorry, not familiar with those) or have your doctor prescribe a patch worn behind the ear.

Enjoy!

keeping in mind that late summer, fall is hurricane season, you will find good deals on the cruise ships. Do be sure to get travel insurance. It's not that much and makes it easier. I prefer mid October to November as it's just slightly cooler than it would be in September, early October.

I prefer to be mid ship, a couple of decks above or below where the action is.

To further elaborate, we're not snorkel or scuba people so no advice there. However we loved the area around Maho Beach on St. Maarten. The beach itself is tiny and steep with no natural shade. Vendors will rent umbrellas etc. Orient beach is for the brave who don't mind seeing nude people. Sadly, still lots of destruction after last year's hurricane so not as popular as it used to be.

We loved Vivo beach at San Juan and Labadee (private area used by RCI). Only complaint are the vendors at the Artisan's Market. THEY WON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER.

If you want snorkeling then definitely Westerm. Oasis class ships stop at Roatan Belize and Cozumel and Costa Maya

Also consider Oasis and Allure as they can be significantly cheaper than Symphony or Harmony and may also offer slightly different itineraries.

keeping in mind that late summer, fall is hurricane season, you will find good deals on the cruise ships. Do be sure to get travel insurance. It's not that much and makes it easier. I prefer mid October to November as it's just slightly cooler than it would be in September, early October.

I prefer to be mid ship, a couple of decks above or below where the action is.

Thank you Sarah, could you specify what do you mean by "the action"? :)

Thank you very much for all the replies! Can you tell me more about travel insurance? I always take it when I am on vacation, but maybe there are some different things to consider regarding cruises?

Thank you very much for all the replies! Can you tell me more about travel insurance? I always take it when I am on vacation, but maybe there are some different things to consider regarding cruises?

There are many aspects to insurance. Emergency evacuation coverage is important to me. If something serious occurs, I want that capability.

Check out these sources for travel insurance:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

www.tripinsurancestore.com

"Action" is where everything is. The promenade, the shows, and closer to the pools and buffet. We prefer mid deck, will be on deck 8 for our one in July. We are 3 floors up from the promenade, and 3 floors down from the pool area. Since we never take the elevator, this works great for us. Our last one we were on deck 2. It was a long walk up to deck 11 for the buffet!

Roatan (Western) is one of the best snorkeling/diving locations in the Caribbean, but I'm not sure if Oasis class ships go there. You might have to consider a Freedom class ship (Liberty for one) to go there. Freedom out of San Juan goes to Bonaire (Southern), another excellent place for snorkeling and diving.

Anytime is a good time to visit the Caribbean.

You won't hear engine noise on any passenger deck. The engines are several decks below the lowest passenger deck.

We are on Allure in December and we are going to Roatan. I think Allure might be the only one that goes there though of the Oasis Class

I prefer western Caribbean. I don't know about snorkeling, but I really enjoy Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman has amazing snorkeling/diving. When you get off the ship walk left to Eden Rock. You can rent a locker for your stuff, swim out and either snorkel or the water drops very deep and you can dive. Love it there.

"Action" is where everything is. The promenade, the shows, and closer to the pools and buffet. We prefer mid deck, will be on deck 8 for our one in July. We are 3 floors up from the promenade, and 3 floors down from the pool area. Since we never take the elevator, this works great for us. Our last one we were on deck 2. It was a long walk up to deck 11 for the buffet!

Same here, on Oasis Class ships we typically either take Deck 8 or 9, midship by the elevators as hubby does not want to walk a long way. I take the stairs as much as possible if running down to the cabin or something w/o him. Also, we love walking through Central Park last thing at night before we head to bed, so peaceful in there.

Grand Cayman has amazing snorkeling/diving. When you get off the ship walk left to Eden Rock. You can rent a locker for your stuff, swim out and either snorkel or the water drops very deep and you can dive. Love it there.

Unfortunately Oasis class ships don’t stop at Grand Cayman. I would really like to visit that port again.

Your personal health insurance plan might cover expenses if sick or injured while abroad. Check with your insurance provider to be sure. My wife had to see the ship's doctor and we had to pay the initial cost upfront ($200). We were reimbursed all but $35 by the insurance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

We like a room mid ship (deck 9ish) so we can walk down to restaurants or up to buffet/pool without needing elevators. We always pick a room that has rooms above and below it so no risk of noise from say a lounge.

I prefer eastern (not a snorkeled/Dover) but honestly there is no bad itenerary as it’s a cruise!

I agree best decks on Oasis class ship is 8 or 9 mid ship. I like that you are not to far from the activities up top or the action below. I also love walking through Central Park its the most peaceful deck on any cruise ship and the roast beef sandwiches in the Park cafe are amazing. For me cruising is the best form of travel out there. I am going on my 10 cruise next week and my ninth since 2008. I have to thank God that He affords me the opportunity. Enjoy your cruise and be safe.