Babies. Exception ever to 6 month rule?

Why would you bring a 6mo baby on board. Don’t ya realize how difficult it will be. You cant enjoy yourselves.

Have you done it? If not, what do you know about it?

From my own experience I can tell you that it's not difficult to cruise with a baby and we DID enjoy all of our 12 days onboard.

Have you done it? If not, what do you know about it?

From my own experience I can tell you that it's not difficult to cruise with a baby and we DID enjoy all of our 12 days onboard.

And sometimes as a parent you just have to do what you have to do. Babies are work but I bet it's a lot easier doing it where someone else does the cooking lol. I can think of worse things than sitting on the balcony with a margarita while the baby takes a nap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I wonder how the cruise line would be able to check the DOB if the parents fudged it. We skipped a cruise the year DGS2 was born, but how would you be able to differentiate between a 25-week-old baby and one who is 26 weeks? Do they ask for proof of age under a certain limit, say one year?

Birth certificate or passport required so age would be hard to falsify unless you have a fake birth certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Taking care of a baby is much easier on a cruise ship than real life. On a cruise ship you have people that clean after you and endless food that you don’t cook. I’d live on a cruise ship with a baby if I could.

In response to the original question, the system will not let you book. At least it would not let us when our travel agent attempted to book one, when we tried to book a TA when our child was 11 months and didn’t realize it was 12 months for a TA or any cruise with 3 consecutive sea days and 6 months for other cruises.

Christmas 2016 we went on a cruise with extended family and my niece and her family who had a barely 6 month old. I was thinking it would be hard for them. It definitely wasn’t the most relaxing vacation ever for them I’m sure. But we had tons of family around to dote on and care for baby. They got probably more breaks than they would have at home. They also obviously had agreed beforehand for most nights they would both retire early and have a long night sleep with baby. And most importantly we had a great week being with family.

We never cruised with little ones mainly because we didn’t have the money. And it seemed like a lot of work. But after experiencing cruising with my niece and her family I have changed my thinking. It’s still a lot easier (obviously) to cruise without young children, but young children are a lot of work wherever they are. As long as parents adjust their expectations I think it can be a great experience.

And as atseamylife pointed out, it’s up to the parents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From a practical standpoint, I think taking a cruise with a 6 month old would be a lot easier than, say, a 14 month old. That whole mobility thing is a big deal. And everyone loves a baby so mom can sit in any public place and crew will fall all over each other to serve her. And disposable diapers. Be sensible about enforcing nap time and there is no reason that the cruise shouldn't be delightful.

It sounds like it would be a great one of a kind type of cruise. I'd love to be the grandfather of that baby on a cruise. I'd even pay the little buggers grats, lol.

I guess it depends on how you define your cruise as enjoyable. For us, we don’t drink or go out to bars at home, so we don’t feel like we’re missing that on vacation if we have the kids with us. We take them to eat with us, we enjoy playing with them in the pool, and we aren’t really into excursions all that much.

We took our then 10 week old daughter to Turkey for a week at an all inclusive resort (we lived in Europe at the time). It rained the entire time we were there but it was an amazing experience, we got to spend so much time really bonding with our baby, without all the hassles of home to worry about. We took our son to Disneyworld when he was 12 weeks old and had the same experience. Plus our kids are pros at traveling and at eating out in restaurants, because they’ve been doing it all their lives.

I guess it depends on how you define your cruise as enjoyable. For us, we don’t drink or go out to bars at home, so we don’t feel like we’re missing that on vacation if we have the kids with us. We take them to eat with us, we enjoy playing with them in the pool, and we aren’t really into excursions all that much.

We took our then 10 week old daughter to Turkey for a week at an all inclusive resort (we lived in Europe at the time). It rained the entire time we were there but it was an amazing experience, we got to spend so much time really bonding with our baby, without all the hassles of home to worry about. We took our son to Disneyworld when he was 12 weeks old and had the same experience. Plus our kids are pros at traveling and at eating out in restaurants, because they’ve been doing it all their lives.

Kids are more adaptable than people give them credit for. If all they’ve known their whole life is travel and airplanes they assume that is the norm. Children believe that whatever reality that they are presented with is the main reality of their world.

Our daughter have been to Denmark, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, the U.K, Germany and Estonia. She is 6 months old and have done one 11nts cruise (3.5-4 months old at the time), one 2nts cruise and one ferry cruise to and back from Gotland.

We have one 7nts cruise booked for September in the Med and one 7nts cruise in January in the Caribbean.

Cruising with a baby is different compared to cruising as a couple but that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing.