Babies. Exception ever to 6 month rule?

My niece had her baby exactly one week short of making Baby 6 months old on sailing date. I know about the 6 month rule. We are wondering if there are ever any exceptions to this rule. I doubt it but thought I would see if anyone here has had any experience with this.

Please - No opinions or judgements on how old babies should be or how hard it will be on the parents. That is their call. Just wondering if they even have an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s what I figured. We are all going together and already have plane reservations etc so switching dates is not an option. I just wanted to cover all the bases before I canceled their room.

Thanks for your responses to the question only. Well most of you anyway.

On a recent RCCL cruise a woman was carrying around the tiniest baby. When someone asked how old her baby was, she said 16 weeks. To that the other person said they were surprised she was allowed to bring him at under six months. So it has happened but I would never chance it.

Lovelife I wonder if that baby was related to a ship officer or something. I can’t imagine how else someone so young was let on. We wouldn’t ever chance it. I can’t imagine trying to sneak an underage baby on! That gives a whole new meaning to fake id! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in the same situation for a family cruise when DIL became pregnant and grand-daughter would be to young to cruise. We kept the air fare and found a Club Med. We were far enough out it didn't cost us for cancellation.

I wasn't keen on traveling with a GD that young. But, DW said, "it's not your decision, it's the parents". I did buy them Medjet coverage.

Lovelife I wonder if that baby was related to a ship officer or something. I can’t imagine how else someone so young was let on. We wouldn’t ever chance it. I can’t imagine trying to sneak an underage baby on! That gives a whole new meaning to fake id! [emoji23]

I guess that is possible. When the woman mentioned the six month minimum, she literally took off briskly with the baby!

I wonder how the cruise line would be able to check the DOB if the parents fudged it. We skipped a cruise the year DGS2 was born, but how would you be able to differentiate between a 25-week-old baby and one who is 26 weeks? Do they ask for proof of age under a certain limit, say one year?

I wonder how the cruise line would be able to check the DOB if the parents fudged it. We skipped a cruise the year DGS2 was born, but how would you be able to differentiate between a 25-week-old baby and one who is 26 weeks? Do they ask for proof of age under a certain limit, say one year?

All passengers have to have a passport or at least a birth certificate to board.

When you cruise don't you need a passport or birth certificate? That would show the baby's age.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

All passengers have to have a passport or at least a birth certificate to board.

That’s right. We sailed once with my BC (when my passport disappeared en route to the cruise), and I forgot that they checked that before we boarded. It was a fairly chaotic time. Sorry for the stupid question.

That’s right. We sailed once with my BC (when my passport disappeared en route to the cruise), and I forgot that they checked that before we boarded. It was a fairly chaotic time. Sorry for the stupid question.

Not a stupid question. Someone who has never sailed with a child that young may not realize they have to have it.

I guess that is possible. When the woman mentioned the six month minimum, she literally took off briskly with the baby!

Curiouser and curiouser! I would love to know the story behind that baby being on board!

On another note, I called and as I expected they told me there are no exceptions. So outside of buying baby a fake passport I guess we will wait until next year to cruise!

Curiouser and curiouser! I would love to know the story behind that baby being on board!

On another note, I called and as I expected they told me there are no exceptions. So outside of buying baby a fake passport I guess we will wait until next year to cruise!

Have you weighed the pros and cons of paying airline change fees to move the date of the cruise?

My niece had her baby exactly one week short of making Baby 6 months old on sailing date. I know about the 6 month rule. We are wondering if there are ever any exceptions to this rule. I doubt it but thought I would see if anyone here has had any experience with this.

Please - No opinions or judgements on how old babies should be or how hard it will be on the parents. That is their call. Just wondering if they even have an option.

Why would you bring a 6mo baby on board. Don’t ya realize how difficult it will be. You cant enjoy yourselves. If the baby gets sick. Im sure being on the ocean is a great place for N infant to receive quality medical treatment.

Oh BTW. Once you place a disclaimers on your post. You will get exactly what you did not want. Why...

Why would you bring a 6mo baby on board.

Why? Because it's not your decision. If the parents are good with it then it's none of your concern.

Now, let me expand a little. Dear Grand Daughter (DGD) was the cause of our canceling a family Thanksgiving 2014 cruise. Seems the DIL decided to get pregnant with a delivery date that won't work for a Thanksgiving cruise.

Luckily we were far enough out to juggle some things and decided to do Club Med Ixtapa instead. This still put DGD at eight weeks when we traveled.

Me (neurotic grandfather) didn't think it was a great idea to take an eight week old to Mexico. DW, "it's not your decision, if the parents are good with it then it's none of your concern".

The hardest part was getting the birth certificate and then getting the passport in such a short time frame. But it was done and we had a great time. Probably one of the best family vacations we have done.

That's why you do it!!!