Port Canaveral 1st Timers

mrsfoose

Hello!

Hubby and I will be sailing out of Port Canaveral for the first time this December (we usually go out of Miami).

We will be flying in from Michigan and just curious what is our best/cheapest route? I've seen a few.

Fly in to Orlando or Tampa?

Rent a car or get a shuttle to the port?

We are flying in the night before, so do we stay near the hotel and go in the morning?

We usually don't fly - we typically make the 20+ hour drive from Michigan, but due to our cruise being close to Christmas (15-22), we have opted to fly this time around.

Hotel recommendations? I always check TripAdvisor, but it's helpful to have a jumping off point. We aren't super picky, cheaper is always better - but soft mattresses and fluffy comforters are always hotel pluses [emoji1303][emoji51][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do NOT fly into Tampa. Fly to Orlando or Melbourne or Sanford

If you arrive in the evening just stay near the airport - There are many options the next morning from hotels near Orlando especially. Uber/Lyft/shared shuttles/private shuttles/limos/cruise line buses. I would not rent a car on the morning of the cruise.

Cheap/best - usually it is one OR the other!! Which do you prefer? How many people?

Do NOT fly into Tampa. Fly to Orlando or Melbourne or Sanford

If you arrive in the evening just stay near the airport - There are many options the next morning from hotels near Orlando especially. Uber/Lyft/shared shuttles/private shuttles/limos/cruise line buses. I would not rent a car on the morning of the cruise.

Cheap/best - usually it is one OR the other!! Which do you prefer? How many people?

Just my husband and myself. I was only thinking car rental if hotels were cheaper near the port than the airport. That way we could drive ourselves to the hotel and around the night before.

If hotels are cheaper near the airport, we would just get a shuttle.

I would recommend flying into Orlando, MCO. We usually stay at a hotel by the airport and have used Cortrans as a shuttle service to and from the pier. Last time we stayed at the Hampton Inn by the airport on TG Lee Blvd. and the shuttle picked us up there the day of the cruise. Several restaurants around to walk to for dinner and the Hampton Inn has breakfast in the morning.

Many of the hotels near the Orlando airport are relatively inexpensive and run free shuttles from the airport to their facilities. Next day I would use Cortrans to the port, good service and not expensive, usually $20 per person. You can also arrange return from the cruise to the airport with them.

Tampa is about a two hour drive, maybe longer depending on traffic to PC. I would fly into MCO. Arriving late the night before your cruise you won’t find any transportation to PC besides renting a car. There are hotels just north of the airport. Google T.G. Lee Blvd and you will see them plus restaurants on both sides of Rte 436. They all provide shuttles from MCO. Sanford and Melbourne are good choices also if the airline prices are good. Sanford is a little further from PC, and Melbourne is a little closer.

• 4 weeks later...

The good news is you have options; the bad news is you'll need to make decisions. ;)

MCO is the most popular airport for cruises from PC - size, number of flights, etc. Sanford and Melbourne are options if you get a good deal on flights - it would need to be a fantastic deal to fly in/out of TPA (2+ hours) or FLL (3+ hour drive).

If you fly into MCO late then follow the advice above, get a hotel near the airport and use a shuttle to get to PC. If you arrive earlier on the day before your cruise you can rent a car one-way and stay, shop and dine where you want. Many prefer to stay in PC/Cocoa Beach - we prefer Orlando with 1000's of hotels in every price range.

Post cruise, unless you flight leaves after about 2:00 I would use a shuttle to get to MCO. If you flight leaves later then rent a car and have a fun lunch, visit Kennedy Space Center, hit the beach, etc. before returning to the airport.

Have a great cruise! :D

Just my husband and myself. I was only thinking car rental if hotels were cheaper near the port than the airport. That way we could drive ourselves to the hotel and around the night before.

If hotels are cheaper near the airport, we would just get a shuttle.

The last few times I rented a car they charged a drop off fee of 50 dollars for one way rental. That was 5 yrs ago. I would stay at airport hotel and get a shuttle

If you are staying at the hotel in the airport I don't know of anyplace selling wine there, but I've never looked for it either. If not right at the airport and at a hotel near it then depending on which hotel you are staying at there may be a Publix, Walgreens, or similar nearby that you could walk to. Pretty much all of them sell wine. The shuttle does not make stops and there is nothing near the ships in the port that I am aware of.

Do NOT rent a car! The rental agencies are a nightmare when you try to turn it in, or return to the airport. Shuttle is the way to go. Remember, Port Canaveral is usually cooler than Miami that time of year. First + last day of the cruise sometimes cool. Sailaway at Port Canaveral is very uneventful, but, the facilities are first class, comparable to Miami.

I am so confused... We have read that returning a car before taking a cruise is good and a fairly quick process. The problem (I thought) was when you were trying to rent a car from a Port Carnival location after a cruise. So I should just stay away from renting a car all together?

Thanks for any info.

Karen

I am so confused... We have read that returning a car before taking a cruise is good and a fairly quick process. The problem (I thought) was when you were trying to rent a car from a Port Carnival location after a cruise.

You are remembering correctly ... returns are usually quick and easy ..... usually .... for that matter even p/up can be easy

here's the thing to consider tho .... all the rental offices in Canaveral / Cocoa Beach are relatively small as compared to say what's at MCO. They can get overwhelmed .... especially if the day in question is one where 4 big ships are turning around. On a 4 ship day the entire port area can turn into a zoo. If your day is a one ship day ... NO PROBLEM. 4 ships day? Sometimes there are even 5 and 6 ship days with 'port call' ships .... Anyone who experienced this situation once will say never again!

Also consider dropping off all but one person at the pier with the bags and only ONE return the car. If the place is a zoo it is always easier to get ONE MORE in a shuttle as compared to more . . .

P.C. does post a schedule of ships on their website but right now it only goes up to 1 Oct ... but even this can give an idea by looking at the day of the week in question as a large part of the schedule is routine/repeating . . .

https://www.portcanaveral.com/PortCanaveral/media/Cruise-Assets/Cruise%20Schedule/2018/Copy-of-Cruise-Schedule.pdf

Looking at Sept I'm seeing mostly 3 ship days for Fri thru Mon ... but don't be surprised if it is busier in Dec . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

[https://www.portcanaveral.com/PortCanaveral/media/Cruise-Assets/Cruise%20Schedule/2018/Copy-of-Cruise-Schedule.pdf

Looking at Sept I'm seeing mostly 3 ship days for Fri thru Mon ... but don't be surprised if it is busier in Dec . . .

Thanks Capt_BJ;

It looks like there will be 4 ships at port Canaveral on the day we sail out.... Disney Fantasy, Carnival Breeze, Carnival Liberty, and RCCL's Oasis of the seas. :(

I may consider returning the car earlier on the night before the cruise, and using the hotels shuttle service to the port.

I may consider returning the car earlier on the night before the cruise,

not a bad plan BUT note

since these are not airport offices, most close by 6pm. MOST have a night drop box tho, so you can park the car, drop the keys in the box and you'll get your receipt by mail/e-mail ... you can UBER or taxi to hotel if needed. (I've heard some of the offices find taxi hanging around for just such business)

Few years ago, we got "cheap" flight to MCO evening before departure from PC. We booked at "cruise, stay and shuttle" pkg. It may have been a Hampton Inn near Cocoa Beach. I'm sure there are other hotels that offer something like that. We are always more comfortable staying as close to the port as possible.

[not a bad plan BUT note

since these are not airport offices, most close by 6pm. MOST have a night drop box tho, so you can park the car, drop the keys in the box and you'll get your receipt by mail/e-mail ... you can UBER or taxi to hotel if needed. (I've heard some of the offices find taxi hanging around for just such business)

Thanks for all of your help Capt_BJ... You are awesome! :)

I thought I would share our plans, since we have them finalized.

We got a pretty decent deal on flight tickets coming in to SFB.

Our flight comes in around 9pm.

We have a one way rental car with Budget ($72).

We booked a hotel at Country Inns and Suites Cape Canaveral for the night of the 14th ($145) which I am excited about because according to the reviews, it's right next to the cruise port and we should be able to see ships from our room.

We will return the rental car early in the morning (as soon as they open), get breakfast and then board the ship - we have FTTF so we will get on as soon as we can.

Going home, I found a shuttle for $30 per person from the cruise port back to SFB. Our returning flight leaves at 3pm - so we should have plenty of time.

How'd I do???

I think you did great, mrs foose!

Just a few points to consider:

Only the top floors on the north side of the hotel can see the ships in the distance. See below.

You cannot drop the car until 8am then you have to walk or rideshare back to the hotel (0.7 mile). This could take some time so you may want to eat before dropping the car if you want to get on that first hotel shuttle to the port. Or how are you planning to get to the port? Budget gets a bit busy so I agree with dropping early!

Country-Inn-Ship-Views.jpg