Specialty restaurants

bremonk

Did this (the frequent repetition) occur with *many* of the items (in each category, e.g., entree, salad, dessert), or is it possible that this - since you mentioned prime rib - is something they learned is desired by many who cannot get multiple reservations in, say, Polo?

I could understand it, if the repetitions tended to be items that are especially enjoyed, possibly as "measured" by how many order it each time it is offered.

That could be different than if it was something like a relatively large subset of the same items that keeps re-appearing frequently (together or not).

If I couldn't get into Polo a lot (which is likely) and I didn't have a suite for en suite dining [uh, yeah, that's where one has the en suite dining, right? :o ], then I would be one very happy camper to see prime rib show up again... and again.

But then, I'm one of those who, when I find something I like, I can keep going after it.

(That could be quite different if it was really all that similar and on a very lengthy cruise, but I don't know what even my threshold is for real favorites ;) )

Did you notice if it was many/most items that kept being "recycled", so to speak?

Or was it just a few that stood out? If it's just one or two items that kept re-appearing, perhaps they were indeed very popular?

GC

When you're talking about 3-4 appetizers, etc., and maybe 5-6 mains, then I think ANY repetition seems like a lot. I specified the prime rib because that was one example that I remembered. For the record, it was very good (although I prefer the prime rib in Polo). But that, and other dishes as well, appeared more frequently than they had in the past.

I would NOT say that "most" items were reappearing, not at all. In terms of the appetizers, soup and salad, as far as I recall there might be one item in each group that seemed to be on the menu very frequently. There were still other options in each category ... but if they didn't interest us, off we went to Terrace, or to have dinner in our suite.

This just did not happen in the past.

Mura

but if they didn't interest us, off we went to Terrace, or to have dinner in our suite.

Mura

After many a meal and day on O, in every venue from Waves to La Reserve I have to say that the Terrace is the best place to enjoy wonderful and creative combinations not possible at any other venue. If you interact with the line cooks there they will work with you to make some really cool and wonderful variations off the grill. Plus the presence of many menu items from the the other restaurants including the main dining room ! There is truly no better place to be creative and pleased..

Dan, I didn't mean to imply that Terrace is a last resort. Especially on Marina and Riviera, we like all the many options, including the freshly grilled items.

Mura

As I said, the repetition of various items. For example, I had prime rib for dinner one night. But two nights later the prime rib was back on the menu. Likewise, one or two of the appetizer, soup and salad items appeared several times on a week's cruise (we were on a 15 day B2B).

In the past there would not have been this kind of repetition. As a result we went to Terrace more frequently than we have in the past. If the most enticing item on the menu was something I'd just had a day or two earlier, I wasn't interested in repeating it.

JMO

Mura

Thank you, Mura. Richard & I will give more thought to trying the Terrace for dinner on our trip next Jan. Looks like we might have been really missing some special culinary creations.

After many a meal and day on O, in every venue from Waves to La Reserve I have to say that the Terrace is the best place to enjoy wonderful and creative combinations not possible at any other venue. If you interact with the line cooks there they will work with you to make some really cool and wonderful variations off the grill. Plus the presence of many menu items from the the other restaurants including the main dining room ! There is truly no better place to be creative and pleased..

Sounds great! I'll have to look into for one night (or more)!

Sounds great! I'll have to look into for one night (or more)!

If your truly into food and like to explore exciting things and combinations then Terrace is my first choice after the main Dining room and A Jacques in O class. Underwhelmed by Italian Toscana and Red Ginger nuevo Asian . Polo good for the Veal Oscar... great presentation. and the Whole Steamed lobster. I eat 50% of my meals now at Terrace for an example Start with a Shell fish salad and smoked duck sausage and a california roll. Then Lobster tail and a grilled lamb chop, with forest Mushrooms, and Pasta with olive oil only. Finished with a Apple Strudel with vanilla sauce The big advantage is

In waves my favorite is to get them to make a burger rare, ( which many will not do) with a char. no cheese only grilled onion and mayo simple perfection.

Never took comments that Terrace was a last resort....

If your truly into food and like to explore exciting things and combinations then Terrace is my first choice after the main Dining room and A Jacques in O class. Underwhelmed by Italian Toscana and Red Ginger nuevo Asian . Polo good for the Veal Oscar... great presentation. and the Whole Steamed lobster. I eat 50% of my meals now at Terrace for an example Start with a Shell fish salad and smoked duck sausage and a california roll. Then Lobster tail and a grilled lamb chop, with forest Mushrooms, and Pasta with olive oil only. Finished with a Apple Strudel with vanilla sauce The big advantage is

Did you intend to keep us hanging there?

I assume they cook the lamb chop to order and will actually get it medium rare if I ask for it that way? Do they also cook fish like salmon or tuna to order at Terrace?

Different topic - does Oceania do duck breast in the GDR or just the classic half duck that I've seen on the sample menu? If so, do they deliver it medium rare if ordered that way?

Edited by MisterBill99

Yes, they will cook your chop or steak or whatever to your order. I've never been disappointed and I like my meat rare.

Can't answer about the duck since I am not a fan ...

Yes, they will cook your chop or steak or whatever to your order. I've never been disappointed and I like my meat rare.

Can't answer about the duck since I am not a fan ...

You hooked me at rare! I think you & a few others have us really interested in giving Terrace a few tries. Thanks!

Did you intend to keep us hanging there?

I assume they cook the lamb chop to order and will actually get it medium rare if I ask for it that way? Do they also cook fish like salmon or tuna to order at Terrace?

Different topic - does Oceania do duck breast in the GDR or just the classic half duck that I've seen on the sample menu? If so, do they deliver it medium rare if ordered that way?

Sorry.... The big advantage is creating pure tastes and combinations For example 90% of the pasta on the ship and restaurants is sauced incorrectly and smothered in someones idea of sauce. ( pet peeve of mine seeing pasta served up with a flood of tomato sauce covering it... A terrible thing You wont get that in Italy )

Where as simple flavor that compliment each other olive oil maybe some chopped herb on hot pasta direct, un drained from the pot.

No Duck I love Duck In france I order it as often as I can...in a rasberry wine reduction. No ala Orange or Cherries yuk !!!

In professional training I learned that Rare is the best way to savor meat and salt and pepper the only condiment. no sauce or relish please To me and the professionals, Rare is 110/ 115 F Med Rare 120 /125F Med 130 Ruined 135+ for steak center temp

might as well eat your shoes for flavor. Pork 165F Lamb same as beef all measured with an instant read digital Professional grade temp probe... My and others choice " Coopers' " It ain't cheap but with top quality cuts running $5 an oz ( Snake River Ranch Used by Thomas Keller, Wolfgang Puck etc) it is not a bad investment

Enjoy

No Duck I love Duck In france I order it as often as I can...in a raspberry wine reduction. No ala Orange or Cherries yuk !!!

Duck breast is prepared completely differently from the classic half duck that you're describing. When cooked properly (which means medium rare or even rare) it's almost like steak. And it's not served drenched with sauce, or at least I've never seen it that way.

Sadly, on most cruise ships, even though they put the asterisk next to it on the menu which warns about eating under-cooked food, I've found it very difficult to get it actually served that way. I finally got it done properly on HAL by getting the assistant maitre'd to intervene. On Anthem of the Seas, I spoke to both the F&B Manager and Executive Chef and the last night of the cruise they sent out 3 perfectly cooked duck breasts, which I shared with others at my table.

Duck breast is prepared completely differently from the classic half duck that you're describing. When cooked properly (which means medium rare or even rare) it's almost like steak. And it's not served drenched with sauce, or at least I've never seen it that way.

Sadly, on most cruise ships, even though they put the asterisk next to it on the menu which warns about eating under-cooked food, I've found it very difficult to get it actually served that way. I finally got it done properly on HAL by getting the assistant maitre'd to intervene. On Anthem of the Seas, I spoke to both the F&B Manager and Executive Chef and the last night of the cruise they sent out 3 perfectly cooked duck breasts, which I shared with others at my table.

Bill... I was describing a GRILLED duck BREST not a half duck as with La Orange If France the normal preparation is to grill it, basted with butter/thyme. Then sauced lightly and with a ramekin on the side of a piquant , wine reduction with thyme and raspberries essence and duck blood. ( Tour de Argent does it that way) Its normally served sliced and rare I prefer it to steak It is tough to get

Bill... I was describing a GRILLED duck BREST not a half duck as with La Orange If France the normal preparation is to grill it, basted with butter/thyme. Then sauced lightly and with a ramekin on the side of a piquant , wine reduction with thyme and raspberries essence and duck blood. ( Tour de Argent does it that way) Its normally served sliced and rare I prefer it to steak It is tough to get

Thanks. So is it available on Oceania?

paulchili,

How do you manage to avoid the ubiquitous hoisin sauce with your Peking Duck? (And why would you want to?) (;>))

By the way, for those of you who are in or visit Southern California and are enjoy duck, there is a Santa Monica, CA restaurant called "Solidarity" (formerly Warszawa) that serves an amazing half crispy roast duck with spaetzli, and caramelized apples and lingonberry sauce on the side (following an amazing appetizer of crispy bacon wrapped prunes and/or thinly sliced no-skin cucumbers with sour cream and dill, borscht, marinated herring, pelmeni, pierogi, etc...

paulchili,

How do you manage to avoid the ubiquitous hoisin sauce with your Peking Duck? (And why would you want to?) (;>))

By the way, for those of you who are in or visit Southern California and are enjoy duck, there is a Santa Monica, CA restaurant called "Solidarity" (formerly Warszawa) that serves an amazing half crispy roast duck with spaetzli, and caramelized apples and lingonberry sauce on the side (following an amazing appetizer of crispy bacon wrapped prunes and/or thinly sliced no-skin cucumbers with sour cream and dill, borscht, marinated herring, pelmeni, pierogi, etc...

I guess I mispoke - of course, hoisin is a must with Peking duck.

I meant no orange or raspberry or any other fruit sauce with roast duck, which was discussed here (for me anyway) :)

Thanks for the tip on Solidarity restaurant.

Edited by Paulchili

paulchili,

Thanks *very* much for the recommendation for "Solidarity".

We get out to Santa Monica, specifically, on occasion.

:)

GC

The restaurant is in a pleasant old house with a large patio out back. Free parking (ignore the no parking signs from their neighbor). Try their excellent Old Fashioned or Polish vodka...

Thanks. So is it available on Oceania?

NO...... Have only seen good duck in France Tour De Argent the standard prep., , In California at Spencer in Palm Springs Epicure in Santa Monica, French Laundry, Yountville, Its a very western European dish eastern is all about roast, braised and stewed. Americans are into roast or braised

Having a good wine reduction with duck compliments the meat, Port, Merlot and with a berry infusion. Its not sweet but almost like a rich herbal emulation.

Smoked duck sausage is worth trying

NO...... Have only seen good duck in France Tour De Argent the standard prep., , In California at Spencer in Palm Springs Epicure in Santa Monica, French Laundry, Yountville, Its a very western European dish eastern is all about roast, braised and stewed. Americans are into roast or braised

I don't really want to question you since you seem very knowledgeable, but there are many restaurants in my area of NY that do a very nice presentation of duck breast (cooked properly and without a heavy sauce), and both Celebrity and HAL (and I think even MSC) offer it on their cruises (if not as well prepared as my local restaurants).

I don't really want to question you since you seem very knowledgeable, but there are many restaurants in my area of NY that do a very nice presentation of duck breast (cooked properly and without a heavy sauce), and both Celebrity and HAL (and I think even MSC) offer it on their cruises (if not as well prepared as my local restaurants).

I dont do east coast places as in California we have an over abundance And For the past decade+ have sailed only on O... I did many moons ago try Celeb and HAl.... and thats why I am on O As for MSC There are more people on a MSC ship than live in my Town it seems....

You should try a port wine reduction or a demiglace.

When it’s busy in the main dining room, they may ask if you would like to eat in one of the specialty restaurants and send you up. That happened to us twice (PH cabin) on our last Regatta cruise. Of course, we took them up on it!

Somehow this thread has gone fowl...and that's no canard (he wrote, ducking...)

Anyway, if you give the MDR a couple of days, they can prepare a duck breast or half-duck with port wine reduction or other favorite sauce. We've had them prepare one of our favorites, crispy sweetbreads.

Somehow this thread has gone fowl...and that's no canard (he wrote, ducking...)

Anyway, if you give the MDR a couple of days, they can prepare a duck breast or half-duck with port wine reduction or other favorite sauce. We've had them prepare one of our favorites, crispy sweetbreads.

Pun well Dun. it is good to see not everyone is taking this too seriously.

:cool:;)