2019 Voyage of the Vikings

jaxonboy

Received an email from our agent advising that the cruise on the Rotterdam is cancelled. There is a 35 day Voyage of the Vikings on the Zuiderdam as a replacement. HAL offers $75 dollar credit.

I have been on the Rotterdam and like it, a nice size. The Zuiderdam is a size larger. Any thoughts on the Zuiderdam? We can cancel and get our money back.

I wonder what caused this, just curious.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

VOV is worth it no matter what ship you take - but will the Zuiderdam be able to go through the real highlight - the Prince Christian Sound - as readily as the smaller ships? If it cannot, that would be a deal breaker. Otherwise the Zuiderdam is a very nice, functional ship and their larger verandah special class cabins (SY etc) are a real bonus for a longer cruise like this.

PRISENDAM SOLD.....changes effective July 1, 2019

We too received the letter stating the Rotterdam was not going to be our ship for the 2019 VOV :loudcry: but will now be the Zuiderdam. Hoping any changes HAL makes will be resolved and we can all be content with the new option. If YOU are on this voyage please be sure to follow along and communicate with the other passengers on Holland America's Roll Call...currently for the Rotterdam but realize it will be moved to Zuiderdam. Come on over...…

We are already setting up private shore excursions etc.

***********************************************************************************************************

As a gesture of our appreciation for booked guests who choose to retain their reservation on board this sailing, a Shipboard Credit (SBC) will be applied toyour new booking based on the stateroom category booked:

• $75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Pinnacle Suite bookings
  • $75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Neptune Suite bookings
  • $75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Signature Suite bookings
  • $75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for Vista Suite bookings
  • $50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for Verandah Stateroom bookings
  • $50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for Lanai Stateroom bookings
  • $25 per person (up to $50 per stateroom) for Ocean-view Stateroom bookings
  • $25 per person (up to $50 per stateroom) for Interior Stateroom bookings

All the above Shipboard Credits are denominatedin USD.

Cancellation Protection Plan costand Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses will be calculated based on the new booking.

If you elect not to continue on with this new voyage, Holland America Line will refund you in full.

VOV is worth it no matter what ship you take - but will the Zuiderdam be able to go through the real highlight - the Prince Christian Sound - as readily as the smaller ships? If it cannot, that would be a deal breaker. Otherwise the Zuiderdam is a very nice, functional ship and their larger verandah special class cabins (SY etc) are a real bonus for a longer cruise like this.

Yes she can. We did the sund with the bigger Eurodam.

A few thoughts. Going from the Rotterdam to the Zuiderdam is a good thing (in our humble opinion) as we thought the Rotterdam was very tired, and numerous issues with HVAC, plumbing, etc. And we have never liked how they turned that aft deck into a large bird bath (except its for passengers) so they could cram a few additional cabins in space that used to be occupied by the aft pool.

As to the Prinsendam being sold, we new it was inevitable but it makes us very sad :(. The P'Dam was our favorite HAL vessel and there is no substitute. IMHO the Rotterdam cannot even wipe the P'Dam's stern.

As to the 2019 VOV, we agree that the VOV itinerary would be good on any ship. Personally we are pleased to see it has been changed to the Zuiderdam and we might even consider booking that cruise.

Hank

I looked too, and couldn't find many July 2019 sailings out of Boston. I expect they will be back in a few days, after they sort out new cabin assignments on the Zuiderdam, now doing the VOV, instead of the Rotterdam. Just hope I like where they put me. LOL

I am still waiting for this cruise to show up on HAL's website.

Hi FlorenceItaly aka Marie!

I tried to post here, for you, the itinerary but was not successful. WE are going on this cruise and super excited.

I would be glad to email you the itinerary if you like Compson351 @ cox dot net

Looking like it may be awhile until it is posted on HAL's site as they are still assigning room numbers etc to existing cruisers and trying to clear all the sailings up.

Let me know if you are interested in me sending you the itinerary for our 35 day cruise for the Voyage of the Vikings on the Zuiderdam from July 30, 2019 to September 3, 2019

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this question... We are thinking of booking VOV 2019, and I would like to know if there is anyway to obtain priority embarkation / tenders without having the top level Neptune Suites? Is there some way to pay extra for these? My husband had double knee surgery and cannot stand still for more than 15-20 minutes, but he can walk so isn't classifiable as 'handicapped.' Thank you in advance for any advice!

Hello. Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this question... We are thinking of booking VOV 2019, and I would like to know if there is anyway to obtain priority embarkation / tenders without having the top level Neptune Suites? Is there some way to pay extra for these? My husband had double knee surgery and cannot stand still for more than 15-20 minutes, but he can walk so isn't classifiable as 'handicapped.' Thank you in advance for any advice!

President's Club also gets priority under such circumstances. I'm not aware of any other way.

I understand fully your husband's plight! I'll see his two bum knees, and raise him a bad hip and bad back.

For (dis)embarkation from the ship at beginning/end of the cruise, he should request wheelchair assistance. There is, of course, no charge for this, although he may want to give the pusher a tip.

He might want to consider renting a rollator (or bringing one with him, if he has one) for the cruise. That way he will always have a seat with him when he may need it. Sometimes when finding a long line upon return to the ship I see chairs near the gangway or tender dock, and I sit there until my place in line reaches me. But there's never a guarantee your husband will find a chair.

There is no other way I know of (and all these years traveling with a disability, I think I would have found out) to make negotiating the lines more bearable.

Explain to your TA or PCC what your husbands problem is and as Ruth suggested take a rollater with you. You won't need a handicapped cabin but there are lots of times when there are long waits and that seat will feel like a lifesaver. With the rollater you will be treated as handicapped and I would certainly consider that he is at least temporarily handicapped.

I am shocked (shocked, I say!) that almost all the Signature Suites (and Verandah cabins too) are already booked now for July 2019! Can anyone let me know when HAL posts these voyages usually, so, when I might be able to book a 2020 voyage? Whew! Thanks in advance.

I am shocked (shocked, I say!) that almost all the Signature Suites (and Verandah cabins too) are already booked now for July 2019! Can anyone let me know when HAL posts these voyages usually, so, when I might be able to book a 2020 voyage? Whew! Thanks in advance.

We'll be on the Aug. 2018 Viking Passage in a little more than two weeks! We booked at the end of Dec. 2016, when the cruise was released. That sure seems like a long time ago, and now we're almost there! :D