Prepaying gratuities

sammybonny

Trak...... DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!!!!!! Especially when it is so up front that these charges exist. Separate or add to fare, what's the difference? In fact, I wish that the cruise lines would make it part of the fare itself and then people can't take away part of these hard working peoples' wages!

But then some of these hard-working people will have to pay higher taxes, as some of the home countries tax 'tips' at a lower rate than 'wages'.

It is a disgusting system but it is the only one in place. Yes, paying for the cruise can be a stretch and it's irritating that we should feel so obligated to pay gratuities. We should not feel obligated for anything except paying what we owe for the cruise. That's the contract we sign. I don't think that is the case for a hotel room?? That's a service charge that I think is added onto the room price. If you get lousy maid service, you don't have much recourse but to complain and hope they compensate it somehow. I don't mean to offend anyone of a different culture, I'm just saying that if you don't mind paying the gratuity, and have no issues, "onboard", then go ahead and do so. However, people should never "brag" about not paying a gratuity. There are many different people of different cultures with different views of gratuities, and that is ok. Personally, I like having the option to decide if the recommended amount is what I feel is fair or not, or if I don't want to pay anything at all. I have always paid them so far and will continue to do so. For whatever reason someone has, they should not feel pressured to pay whether it's a personal reason or a custom of their culture. As long as you have kept your contract of carriage, and paid for the cruise, you're good to go. Everything else is extra and your choice. Princess has their money.

Tai

Edited by onboard2005

The problem is that it is too easy to cancel.

There are many, many posts here from people bragging about canceling.

I'm from a culture that doesn't believe in tipping...

Just paying for the cruise was a stretch, I can't pay for any more...

There was something wrong with <anything -- bad flight to the cruise port> ... so I cancelled...

I know from other posts that you feel people should pay for the things they use, and you

don't want to pay for the things you don't use.

How do you feel about paying for the service supplied to others?

If you leave your hotel charge in place, and the folks in the next cabin cancel...

The steward is cleaning both cabins on your dime.

It's a disgusting system.

It is a lousy system since the crew is the ones who have the most to lose, but I suppose with AT dining it's the best thing they could come up with.

If the sake of argument just suppose you booked a room with terrible AC & you called the PSD time & time again.

They then send up of of their tech's to "adjust" their system and you wait 1/2 day with no results.

So you call again & again with the same scenario.

Then after 3 days of having hardly no AC you approach the PSD & plead with them for another room=ANYTHING, even an inside cabin so that you can sleep at night.

They consistently tell you that the ship is totally filled & there's nothing that they can do.

What recourse do you have at that point...sleep in the piazza on the couch? What about the balcony?

It happened to us on the Emerald a few years ago and luckily we had the opportunity to change into a cabin that was a no show in St Thomas.

No, we didn't cancel the gratuities but had it gone much further we would have considered it. Not having the leverage of gratuities would have left us with no other recourse but to leave the ship. (at our expense) :mad:

Get the point.

It is a lousy system since the crew is the ones who have the most to lose, but I suppose with AT dining it's the best thing they could come up with.

If the sake of argument just suppose you booked a room with terrible AC & you called the PSD time & time again.

They then send up of of their tech's to "adjust" their system and you wait 1/2 day with no results.

Then after 3 days of having hardly no AC you approach the PSD & plead with them for another room=ANYTHING, even an inside cabin so that you can sleep at night.

They consistently tell you that the ship is totally filled & there's nothing that they can do.

What recourse do you have at that point...sleep in the piazza on the couch? What about the balcony?

It happened to us on the Emerald a few years ago and luckily we had the opportunity to change into a cabin that was a no show in St Thomas.

No, we didn't cancel the gratuities but had it gone much further we would have considered it. Not having the leverage of gratuities would have left us with no other recourse but to leave the ship. (at our expense) :mad:

Get the point.

Yes, that is the point. It is the ONLY recourse a passenger has to recoup some money that they may feel they should get. It's unfortunate that it's the gratuity- but that is the only option available. Princess has so much wording in all the limitations and restrictions, stating this can change and that can change, with or without notice, and on and on and on..... Princess has their money and they don't loose anything. It's unfortunate, but true. So far, in 11 cruises, we haven't had any onboard issues and we've had great service in all areas of the ship, so we've paid our gratuities.

Tai

Absolutely agree! There is no other system in place to reimburse for loss of money for pre-purchased onboard items not usable, bad service or conditions. The way the system is set up, it's the only way to ensure some kind of reimbursement, if a solution can't be reached at passenger services. A customer should always have a last option. Gratuities should always be discretionary and never be included as a mandatory charge or included as part of the fare.

If there are no issues- then pay the gratuity.

Tai

Get the point.

But, had you cancelled those gratuities, that would generally have affected only your steward and the waitstaff in the dining area. They migjht have been the most attentive people to your wants and needs that you would ever have had on any cruise. What possible effect could their job performance have had on the a/c in your room? None at all, that meant that even though their performance might have been outstanding, they would have borne the "punishment" (for lack of a better word) for the poor performance of the ship's maintenance staff (assuming that was the source of the poor performance of the equipment.) It seems to me that's like getting mad at one child for something another child did, the wrong person bears the brunt for someone else's shortcoming.

Maybe I'm missing something here though.

Tom

Then Princess should have a better way to resolve onboard issues. They don't. You're sometimes at their mercy, so to say. Make a formal complaint that YOU feel is valid and it goes through a dozen channels before you might get an answer. It's a business. Their bottom line is profit. They do try to make every cruise pleasant but once you're onboard, you've already made your payment and they have their profit. Other than an actual itinerary issue or ship problem, they have no obligation to resolve anything for you. A gratuity is exactly that. A bonus for going above and beyond what's expected. It's too bad it effects the staff but there is no other option for reimbursement if a passenger feels they should be compensated for a problem Princess can't or won't resolve.

A person has to live with them self for the reason they cancel the gratuity. Everyone has their own reason and they vary. There should always be an option for a passenger to recoup money if necessary. There should also be the option available to not pay if it is your custom or decision.

Tai

fastidious people make me chuckle. Keep your money, what is in for me? Me, being the essential factor.

LOL!! ;p

FYI!! I have always paid my gratuities. I've always had a wonderful cruise with great service throughout the ship. The staff works long hours every day and I appreciate everything they do. I do not have an issue with a gratuity, some cultures do. This discussion has been about an option for people that may have a legitimate reason to cancel or change their gratuity amount. A gratuity is and should always be discretionary or it is not a "gratuity". Some cultures do not believe in gratuities and some areas of the world tip far less or not at all so distribution fleet wide is reasonable because they all work equally hard. It's an interesting thread with a lot of different opinions. I come from a place where gratuities are given for outstanding work. I will continue to reward the entire staff and pay my gratuity. Everyone else can do what they feel is acceptable to them. There are several cruise lines to choose from and if service or ship issues are an unresolved problem, we can always go somewhere else.

It's discretionary. It's an option.

Tai

Edited by onboard2005

If someone goes to the service desk and removes their gratuity because of bad service from a room stewart - for example - will that room stewart even know you removed the gratuities? Probably not.

The affect will be so small to that one individual that they won’t notice it. In addition they are probably paid several weeks after the cruise.

The best way to handle it is to put it in your review and name them in that review but remember that the consequences of a bad review can mean the crew member may loose their job.

We don't mind paying the added auto gratuities. It's something you know will be an added expenditure to figure in when you book along with other travel expenses etc. We would not consider removing gratuities since it would effect more than our cabin steward, it would effect several departments- even though our amount is a fraction in the big picture. In my past work experience before retirement, the comment feedback surveys carry a lot more weight. We book the cabin we want and figure in any other added expenses and choices. Gratuities should always be figured in as part of the cruise expense. Make your complaints at guest services if urgent or in the survey post cruise.

Tai

We've enjoyed all our cruises so far.

We're happy we haven't had any issues to address.

:)

Edited by onboard2005

If the sake of argument just suppose you booked a room with terrible AC & you called the PSD time & time again. They then send up of of their tech's to "adjust" their system and you wait 1/2 day with no results. So you call again & again with the same scenario.

Who do you think you would be punishing if you removed the gratuities. Not the PSD people as they do not share in the tipping pool. Not the technicians who also do not participate in the tipping pool.

Or do you think the dining room staff and hamburger stand staff and room service staff and your cabin steward, after losing their tips, will gang up on the maintenance department personnel holding them responsible?

Then Princess should have a better way to resolve onboard issues. They don't. You're sometimes at their mercy, so to say. Make a formal complaint that YOU feel is valid and it goes through a dozen channels before you might get an answer. It's a business. Their bottom line is profit. They do try to make every cruise pleasant but once you're onboard, you've already made your payment and they have their profit. Other than an actual itinerary issue or ship problem, they have no obligation to resolve anything for you. A gratuity is exactly that. A bonus for going above and beyond what's expected. It's too bad it effects the staff but there is no other option for reimbursement if a passenger feels they should be compensated for a problem Princess can't or won't resolve.

A person has to live with them self for the reason they cancel the gratuity. Everyone has their own reason and they vary. There should always be an option for a passenger to recoup money if necessary. There should also be the option available to not pay if it is your custom or decision.

Tai

Taking it a step further.... the gratuities to me are something that are shared by all of Princess's crew and show satisfaction that I'm not only happy with the service given by the crew by the ship in general.

If Princess can't provide me with a level of satisfaction that meets minimum expectations they they all should suffer to some degree.

And yes writing a formal complaint when on the ship does get their attention but does not always give reasonable solutions.

Their latest being the confiscation of my money for unused coffee cards, which were sold under the pretense of being able to be used forever on any ship.

They outright stole my money- what recourse do I have now?

Who do you think you would be punishing if you removed the gratuities. Not the PSD people as they do not share in the tipping pool. Not the technicians who also do not participate in the tipping pool.

Or do you think the dining room staff and hamburger stand staff and room service staff and your cabin steward, after losing their tips, will gang up on the maintenance department personnel holding them responsible?

What you post is very true but at the same time if Princess cannot provide basic services to all passengers then everyone should be held responsible.

Unfortunately the crew are the ones who feel it the most.

Yes, that is the point. It is the ONLY recourse a passenger has to recoup some money that they may feel they should get.

But, you're not taking the money from princess, you're taking it from waiters and stewards, etc.

You're making no point to princess at all -- canceling tips doesn't affect their bottom line.

Cruising is a small part of travel. What do folks do when they have a problem in land hotels?

If the A/C in my room doesn't work, do I not tip in the dining room?

My experience has been -- when I have some problem like that, I usually end up with a refund,

a partial refund, or the ever-popular hotel points.

It's just a nauseating system that princess needs to fix.

Another good reason to stay on land.

But, you're not taking the money from princess, you're taking it from waiters and stewards, etc.

You're making no point to princess at all -- canceling tips doesn't affect their bottom line.

Cruising is a small part of travel. What do folks do when they have a problem in land hotels?

If the A/C in my room doesn't work, do I not tip in the dining room?

My experience has been -- when I have some problem like that, I usually end up with a refund,

a partial refund, or the ever-popular hotel points.

It's just a nauseating system that princess needs to fix.

Another good reason to stay on land.

I agree with everything you posted.

Princess should have made a total refund for their lack of livable cabin but fortunately they did find me another similar cabin a few days later. They also didn't even take the time to send an apology note about our experience although I was satisfied with just having a decent cabin at that point.

If we had had a similar problem at a land based hotel we could have simply walked out & cancelled all charges and checked into another hotel.

Being on a ship doesn't leave the same options.

LOL!! ;p

FYI!! I have always paid my gratuities. I've always had a wonderful cruise with great service throughout the ship. The staff works long hours every day and I appreciate everything they do. I do not have an issue with a gratuity, some cultures do. This discussion has been about an option for people that may have a legitimate reason to cancel or change their gratuity amount. A gratuity is and should always be discretionary or it is not a "gratuity". Some cultures do not believe in gratuities and some areas of the world tip far less or not at all so distribution fleet wide is reasonable because they all work equally hard. It's an interesting thread with a lot of different opinions. I come from a place where gratuities are given for outstanding work. I will continue to reward the entire staff and pay my gratuity. Everyone else can do what they feel is acceptable to them. There are several cruise lines to choose from and if service or ship issues are an unresolved problem, we can always go somewhere else.

It's discretionary. It's an option.

Tai

Agree.....even though Princess offers Auto Gratuities it is still a choice what the passenger is most comfortable doing....if service is bad I would have no problem removing the Auto Gratuities and not feel guilty in the least bit....I have already paid plenty for the cruise and gratuities are just icing on the cake for many passenger.....I owe the crew nothing until I feel they deserve something extra....let the guilt tripping rants begin!!

floridalover5623- This has been my point all along. The Coffee Cards are a good example. I too, have 4 Coffee Cards I purchased that may not be usable. I hope to get something in exchange such as a specialty dinner, some OBC, etc. but so far all answers are no. That is $142.60 out of my pocket. Am I to just give it to the company? Maybe they should put that money from all the unused Coffee Cards into the gratuity pool! The only option I have is to adjust the gratuity because that is the ONLY way to reimburse my expense. If I would want to do that. I know it doesn't effect the Princess expenditure sheet, but it does effect mine. And remember the gratuity is not the wage. No matter where you work employees get caught up in the company's decisions. I did when I was working, as I'm sure others have. Is it right? Absolutely not but that's the way it goes. As I previously stated, it's a business and bottom line is profit. You pay for your cruise- they have their money. At the same time, I have my own bottom line. I would like to get my money back in my pocket. And I'm not afraid to say it. This is just an example of an issue Princess has not thought out & the only way a passenger can get a "refund" if necessary. It really is too bad a passenger would be left with that option, but at this time that is all a person is left with. If they choose to do that. This is becoming a lousy discussion because of it's nature.

Gratuities are discretionary and completely the decision of the passenger for whatever reason.

Tai

Edited by onboard2005

I don't need to make a point to Princess. If I want a refund for the amount I paid for Coffee Cards (an example) then that's the way I'll do it. It's the only way I can. That's $142.60 of MY money. I could use it on specialty dining, excursions, etc.. If I wouldn't adjust the gratuity amount, then Princess will automatically take more money out of my pocket. I could say I don't care where it comes from but I won't, because I really do care about that point. I keep my part of the contract of carriage. I pay for the cruise and that is all I'm obligated for.

If service is good (as it always has been so far) I'll continue to pay the gratuity as recommended. If the day comes when service is not good, I'm glad I at least have the "option" to adjust it, since it is discretionary. That's what makes all the employees accountable for working in the hospitality field. I always do the survey post cruise and mention outstanding people by name. That includes stewards, bar and dining staff, the musicians that entertain in various areas, and any other people I may encounter that are extra pleasant. I also mention names and department if service is bad. I've learned in my past work experience that names on surveys- with good or bad reviews- do get attention, and holds employees to the company standards. Paying your gratuity amount is discretionary according to your experience and just because Princess automatically adds it to your bill does not mean you have to pay it if you are really disappointed with "all" the service.

Tai

I don't need to make a point to Princess. If I want a refund for the amount I paid for Coffee Cards (an example) then that's the way I'll do it.

Thank you for demonstrating why this should be a mandatory service charge for all passengers.

Your 'reason' has absolutely nothing to do with the service provided by people in the tip pool.

It would be courteous if you could advise the people serving you, your cabin steward, etc. that you would not be

tipping them because princess cheated you on coffee cards.

Edited by pablo222

On one cruise over Christmas there was Christmas Carol Music being piped thru ship. I was at the Guest Services Desk and a Muslim Lady as upset and offended about the music being played. She advised desk that she wanted the music stopped or else she would remove her Gratuities, which she did..... Music was not stopped.

Thank you for demonstrating why this should be a mandatory service charge for all passengers.

Your 'reason' has absolutely nothing to do with the service provided by people in the tip pool.

EXACTLY!! They are 2 different things!

1) If a passenger wants compensation for something, or is dissatisfied after approaching PSD, Princess has made that the only option to get personal satisfaction.

Regarding the Coffee Cards, I paid for them as many others did. Princess should have had something in place to compensate all the people that will be unhappy about that situation. There will probably be a large discussion somewhere about that. Poor customer relations regarding that issue.

2) I pay the gratuity if my service is good. If it is not, I have the RIGHT and OPTION to change it.

There's no obligation other than paying for the cruise. That is the fact.

They will never make it a mandatory service charge because they want to keep their price down.

It's all business. Business and profit.

Gratuities have been, are, and will always be DISCRETIONARY!

They can't make you pay them- it's your choice. It's your money.

So, you don't mind if Princess would take $142 out of your pocket?

Tai

Edited by onboard2005

1) If a passenger wants compensation for something, or is dissatisfied after approaching PSD, Princess has made that the only option to get personal satisfaction.

You can always sue the cruiseline, or dispute a credit charge charge.

These would be your options in most other situations.

I really appreciate several of the posters educating me here.

I never appreciated how petty and vindictive people can be.

This will save me money, as I would rather stay on land than cover the service provided to these people.

You can always sue the cruiseline, or dispute a credit charge charge.

These would be your options in most other situations.

I really appreciate several of the posters educating me here.

I never appreciated how petty and vindictive people can be.

This will save me money, as I would rather stay on land than cover the service provided to these people.

Read the rules and regulations regarding the customer purchase of the Coffee Card. When you purchase the card it states it is assumed that you agree to all the terms. If you call Princess they will tell you that they offer no refunds or compensation such as OBC, Specialty Dining, etc.. You have to either book another cruise to use them or you will loose your investment. I would be happy if they put the money from all those unusable cards into the tip pool!

You're not covering the service for anyone. You pay for the cruise. Gratuities are an added bonus to the crew for going beyond what is expected. They get a wage for their job. Gratuities are an added incentive and extra. Gratuities are discretionary. It is each persons decision if they choose to pay them, how much they choose to pay them, and how they choose to pay them. Auto payment or cash at the end of the cruise in the amount you choose to pay.

It's too bad that corporate can't come up with better ways to make changes that effect their customers. I don't think that they always think things through. How hard would it be to offer Specialty Dining or OBC of some kind for such issues. They've wasted time and money on Ocean Medallion! Go figure.... What ever happened to customer satisfaction. As we can see it creates a lot of bad feelings for some people.

In the end, I'll always reward the crew for great service.

I enjoy my cruises and the wonderful crew and people I've met.

I hope you enjoy your land travels.

Tai