Prepaying gratuities

sammybonny

My last Princess cruise was on the Regal in March! Had an absolutely abysmal wait staff on the very first night of the cruise. Talked with the maitre'd right after and was able to switch to a different section at a different dining time. Didn't want to see the waiter again and get embarrassment that we didn't want to sit with him. For the next 6 days our new waiter was absolutely fabulous. We pay the auto gratuities and gave an additional $30 to our main waiter. Also gave $10 to our stewardess (who was also magnificent). I imagined that maybe $10 wasn't enough for our stewardess, but after reading this thread, seems like it's surprising I even tipped extra.

But now I'm curious whether or not my original waiter also received my auto gratuity or if it got transferred to my new waiter.

However, we are very clear with what our expectations are,

Exactly what are those 'expectations' over and beyond the 'standard' services ?

and how do you communicate those to the Princess personnel?

do you tell your waiter you "expect" extra butter, and it should not come out frozen?

talk about 'privileged , indeed...:rolleyes:

I have done several scrap boat challenges and have asked the room steward for help getting water bottles and card board. Have also asked if one item of laundry could be turned over in one day verses the three. Room steward was able to do this. Those are the over and above.

As for communicating, I ask nicely and make it clear I understand if it can not be done. Demand, NEVER!

One thing I ask of the wait staff on the first night is an extra glass for water. I drink more water at a meal than the normal person.

As for expect, no, I am no better than anyone else on the ship.

As for privileged, if we are cruising, we have privileges others do not. Do I expect o be treated as if I am a privileged person, far from it!

That completely contradicts your previous post that you would be reducing tips to recoup

the cost of coffee cards that you feel princess cheated you on.

Mr Pablo, do not miss quote me.

Never, in any of my posts, did I actually say I was reducing or not paying my gratuity.

I stated I have the choice to do that if I wish.

I pay them, always have, always will.

Go chill.....:)

Tai

I do it all the time & will continue to do so on our next cruise even though I'll remove some of the standard gratuity for my loss of some coffee card punches.

My intent is not to remove all the auto gratuity but just the portion that Princess stole from me what they basically cancelled my old coffee cards.

In black and white. You said it, own it.

Dude, get a grip. Did you not see who was the OP?

I did see who the original poster was. I thought you were referring to the post by Pablo making the accusation and that I corrected him. This thread had become rather unpleasant. You have my apology. Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Tai :)

This thread has been all over the place. It's been a lively topic, although it's deviated off the OP subject. I hope we all strive to be polite and respectful to everyone we encounter on our travels. Treat the crew and fellow passengers well. A please and thank you, along with a smile goes a long way.

Good travels to everyone where ever you go. :)

Time to chill and move on. :wine-glass:

Tai

Mr Pablo, do not miss quote me.

I didn't quote you at all. I commented on your posts. Please try and be accurate.

For an example of quoting, see directly below:

Never, in any of my posts, did I actually say I was reducing or not paying my gratuity.

Correct. You said that you WOULD be doing it to recover the cost of the coffee cards princess cheated you on.

I have quoted the post below for your convenience.

This has been my point all along. The Coffee Cards are a good example. I too, have 4 Coffee Cards

I purchased that may not be usable. I hope to get something in exchange such as a specialty dinner, some

OBC, etc. but so far all answers are no. That is $142.60 out of my pocket. Am I to just give it to the company?

Maybe they should put that money from all the unused Coffee Cards into the gratuity pool! The only option

I have is to adjust the gratuity because that is the ONLY way to reimburse my expense.

I did't realize you were just playing word games to wind people up.

floridalover5623- This has been my point all along. The Coffee Cards are a good example. I too, have 4 Coffee Cards I purchased that may not be usable. I hope to get something in exchange such as a specialty dinner, some OBC, etc. but so far all answers are no. That is $142.60 out of my pocket. Am I to just give it to the company? Maybe they should put that money from all the unused Coffee Cards into the gratuity pool! The only option I have is to adjust the gratuity because that is the ONLY way to reimburse my expense.
If I would want to do that.
I know it doesn't effect the Princess expenditure sheet, but it does effect mine. And remember the gratuity is not the wage. No matter where you work employees get caught up in the company's decisions. I did when I was working, as I'm sure others have. Is it right? Absolutely not but that's the way it goes. As I previously stated, it's a business and bottom line is profit. You pay for your cruise- they have their money. At the same time, I have my own bottom line. I would like to get my money back in my pocket. And I'm not afraid to say it. This is just an example of an issue Princess has not thought out & the only way a passenger can get a "refund" if necessary. It really is too bad a passenger would be left with that option, but at this time that is all a person is left with. If they choose to do that. This is becoming a lousy discussion because of it's nature.

Gratuities are discretionary and completely the decision of the passenger for whatever reason.

Tai

Pablo, Pablo, Pablo..... Please use the entire quote if you are going to try to accuse someone of something.

I never have said I would not pay my gratuities, only that I have the option not to, if I choose that.

You don't use any of my quotes where I state- I have, and will continue, to pay the gratuity.

I think you need a vacation. Since you have indicated so many times that you are not wanting to cruise anymore, maybe a land vacation would be best for you. Maybe somewhere in the desert?

Again, as I have previously stated so many times- I have, and always will pay my gratuity. :)

Tai

Again, as I have previously stated so many times- I have, and always will pay my gratuity. :)

Tai

Clearly you are only interested in playing word games.

BTW, if you are interested in seeing the entire post that I quoted, you can simply click the little blue circle wth the arrow in it,

within the quote.

I look forward to seeing you on a cruise!

Oh, I fully intend to....on every card I can't sell on eBay & lose money on.

I really don't know why you are attacking me. I'm not the one that stated I would change my gratuity because of the cards. Only that a person has the option to do as they choose regarding gratuities. I choose to continue to pay my gratuity. This has become a nasty thread and way off topic. We all have choices and my choice is to not converse with you anymore or participate on this thread. You're on your own.

Happy and safe cruising and traveling to everyone. :)

Tai

I really don't know why you are attacking me. I'm not the one that stated I would change my gratuity because of the cards. Only that a person has the option to do as they choose regarding gratuities. I choose to continue to pay my gratuity. This has become a nasty thread and way off topic. We all have choices and my choice is to not converse with you anymore or participate on this thread. You're on your own.

Happy and safe cruising and traveling to everyone. :)

Tai

Sorry if you interpreted my comment as an attack. It really wasn't meant to be- only stating my opinion.

Happy cruising. :)

However, we are very clear with what our expectations are,

Exactly what are those 'expectations' over and beyond the 'standard' services ?

and how do you communicate those to the Princess personnel?

do you tell your waiter you "expect" extra butter, and it should not come out frozen?

talk about 'privileged , indeed...:rolleyes:

We're in the hospitality field(we have a food service bus.)We're really very easy: I ask to have the waiter watch my glass, as I drink a lot of water. Never had to ask for butter, it was ready when we arrived. We usually have a sorbet "intermezzo" between app & entrée. We tell the staff about this the first night & tell them it certainly does NOT have to be the first night(as it's pretty chaotic) If they are unable to do it, I understand. By the 2'nd night, they were ready & willing. We found the staff on the Regal probably the nicest we ever saw on any line. We tipped them over & above the standard(pretty much always have) If you've not worked in the food industry, you likely wouldn't understand. We pay our staff a high wage because we know what it takes to deal with PIA clients. We've had rude obnoxious customers who we refuse to ever do business with again(VERY rare!). When they ask us for other caterers, we just simply say "sorry". We compete with dozens of other food service businesses, but I'd never wish some these customers on our worst enemy.

They will never make it a mandatory service charge because they want to keep their price down.

I would never use 'never' or 'always' when referring to princess...

In australia, they included tips in the fare, which is essentially mandatory.

I would not be surprised to see the UK to be next.

In the US, I would not be surprised to see some suit brought by an attorney general

forcing cruise lines to include the gratuities in the fare, when advertised.

It happened for port charges.

I've had a really bad cabin steward last year on NCL Sky ... and I never even considered removing the gratuities. Or reducing them. I just figured it was his last cruise before going home to MIA for a bit and he was tired & overworked.

:halo::halo::halo:

This thread is another example of the level of anxiety created by the tipping process as it relates to Princess crew members. Princess created the cashless cruising policy to eliminate said anxiety, simply pay the gratuity, sit back and enjoy your vacation. It's hilarious to think passengers actually have copies of a crew contract, and use it to debate wage/tipping associated with their employment. As others have said, most of the crew are not new, they have worked multiple contracts so they must see an up side to Princess employment. We stopped tipping extra years ago when we discovered the service is good, commencerate to the level awarded via the auto gratuity. In reality, I can count one one hand instances that warrant additional compensation. The whole concept of tipping is beginning to bug the heck out of us, we dont tip our mechanic, dry cleaner or gardener, so why should I to feel guilty for not tipping a hotel employee, cruise employee or restaurant server?

This is not novel to Princess. It applies to land and sea everywhere.

I would never use 'never' or 'always' when referring to princess...

In australia, they included tips in the fare, which is essentially mandatory.

I would not be surprised to see the UK to be next.

In the US, I would not be surprised to see some suit brought by an attorney general

Sort of--on Princess and MOST other lines, the port charges are in the fine print. Yes, you see them, but they don't stop the line from showing the "cruise fare" portion of the ticket in bold type and the port charges and government fees in itty bitty type.

I think the tipping thing becomes a legal one. If the hotel service charge is mandatory, it is salary rather than a tip and falls into a different category in the taxation system of many employee's home countries.

That is why the tips are discretionary, and as such do not have to be listed in the fare. The port charges are mandatory.