Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

Yes, we knew the day would come, I wonder if she still will go into dock this coming December...

The 'Dry Docks' thread lists Prinsendam as scheduled for dry dock in Freeport 12/7-20/18. Since Riesen will presumably want to redecorate' date=' maybe HAL will cancel the dry dock and squeeze in 12 more days of cruising ?[/quote']

I can't envision the dry dock being cancelled. There are mandatory things which must be done and she is due for some very key 30 year inspections.

I suspect this may be part of the sale agreement? But, in any case I don't think that the dry dock can be avoided.

I've been wrong before of course ;)

The 'Dry Docks' thread lists Prinsendam as scheduled for dry dock in Freeport 12/7-20/18. Since Riesen will presumably want to redecorate' date=' maybe HAL will cancel the dry dock and squeeze in 12 more days of cruising ?[/quote']

Where did I read the Resien ships have turquoise funnels?

In our case we will cancel the cruise as the new itinerary drops Hamburg, the Kiel cancel and Mariehamn. Now its just another plain old Baltic cruise.

I don't blame you a bit. We really enjoyed Hamburg and the Kiel Canal was fabulous. The itinerary is not the same IMO as what you had :(

Sorry to hear you have been impacted.

Got the email... our cruise replacement will be on Rotterdam, same itinerary, same accommodation, same price, and they will give each of us $50 OBC for the inconvenience. I think we will be cancelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prinsendam’s itineraries from July 1, 2019, onward are scheduled to be assimilated by Rotterdam, Volendam and Veendam.

Maybe the price will be less expensive because this 3 ships are bigger than prinsendam

Price going down???[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Got the email... our cruise replacement will be on Rotterdam, same itinerary, same accommodation, same price, and they will give each of us $50 OBC for the inconvenience. I think we will be cancelling.

Why would one pay the same price? P’dam always got a premium, no way would I transfer the booking at the same price. O’yea but there is a $50/pp inconvenience OBC :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why would one pay the same price? P’dam always got a premium, no way would I transfer the booking at the same price. O’yea but there is a $50/pp inconvenience OBC :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly. [emoji12]

It must be sad to see an old ship leave the fleet. I believe it was a Prisendam which sank off the Alaskan coast in the early eighties so at least it is not such a horrible demise.

My own concern with the loss of the older ships is not that they are being slowly but steadily taken out of commission but rather that they are not being replaced with similar sized but updated ships. Carnival has two upper mainstream lines which compete essentially for the same customer base in the same pricing base. Princess and HA. Carnival has the elite line in Seabourn the base line in Carnival but but Carnival does not have a line to compete with the mid upper level lines ie Oceania with 800 to 1,500 passengers. Perhaps Cunard could be in that class but given it has only three ships and is in many ways a class by itself it is not comparable.

Currently HA pricing is competitive with Celebrity and Princess and to keep in this pricing market the ship size must increase. But I suggest rather than staying in this pricing market that HA raise it prices to compete with Oceania and such in exchange for keeping the ship size down.

Carnival could make HA a higher level brand. Rather than building 2,500 to 3,000 passenger boats for HA leave these to Princess and build the 1200 passenger ships. They would need to price the HA cruises at a higher cost similar to Oceania and Azmura which no doubt would turn off some of HA current customers but would give them a spot in this niche of the market without needing to buy and pay a premium for entry into this niche which is what Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Carribean have done.

Our canceled P’pdam Cruise was $10k for two with an inside cabin. The Nieuw Statendam has the same cruise that the replacement offers for $5500. How stupid do they think we are that we would keep the canceled booking at the higher price.

A whole $50 OBC - wow :rolleyes::eek:

I enjoyed the Rotterdam very much and we had great service, but she's not the P'dam and the price IMO on the Rotterdam should be less than on the Prinsendam.

don't blame you one bit.

OBC is $100 pp for Vista. After our experience on the post dry dock cruise on Rotterdam I think we'll cancel, too.

Looks like the reshuffling has already begun. We had a 10 day Baltic booking on the Zuiderdam, that was just CX today. On offer was a 12 day leaving the day before for the same cost with $75pp OBC Credit. So I just emailed our PPC to snag that one. There was a few more sailings on offer but this one fits quite well. With the current $550 in OBC, now $150 more I am content. Luckily enough the booking dates for the flights have not opened yet so no worries about rebooking airline tickets.

A whole $50 OBC - wow :rolleyes::eek:

I enjoyed the Rotterdam very much and we had great service, but she's not the P'dam and the price IMO on the Rotterdam should be less than on the Prinsendam.

don't blame you one bit.[/quote

Hi Jacqui!!

I was on the phone almost an hour wait in Seattle. Our Panama Cruise got canceled for March 22 out is San Diego. It is being replaced by the Rotterdam leaving March 11. Was concerned with my cabin if I will still receive same cabin? She put my requests down and said I will be notified by July 4th. Received an additional 100.00 per person OBC.

I asked if my cruise went to charter and she said no “The Prinesdam has been sold and they are having to reorganize everything!!” It was sold to a small German Company as said here on CC.

I knew you are booked on her next April and she said the swap will happen July 1st. For her to go to Germany 2019.

I just wanted you to know.

I figured you probably knew 😉

Denise:)

Not the same itinerary, no Kiel canal, no Hamburg and no Mariehamn.

Anyone know what the new German owners will do to her? Or where she intends to sail? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Reisen

I see Phoenix Reisen unloaded their very awkward and clunky Alexander von Humboldt on Voyages of Discovery before VOD went bankrupt trying to make that ship work for their always excellent offerings in the past. We sailed her once. Looks like the Prinsendam will bring a little more class to this odd German cruise line, than their recent history of cruise ship offerings. Never a good idea to call a ship the Albatros, right ? Or claim their original flag ship was a former Soviet cruise ship?

Prinsendam will fit well into Phoenix Reisen's cruise policy, as I have mentioned before in another thread. They do offer a good and personal service and have a lot of customers who come back year after year even if the fleet mostly consists of smaller ships with too little balcony cabins and too many tiny oceanviews - Prinsendam's cabins are huge in comparison! The itineraries usually are really interesting and very similar to HAL's policy regarding Prinsendam.

The only thing which will keep us off the new "Prinsendam" after July 2019 - don't know how she will be called then - is the fact that the cruise line has predominantly German passengers ( about 95%) and thus lacks the "international" feeling. So for us, it's back to Azamara or we'll try Oceania. And now I'll have to check which cruises on good old Prinsendam fit into our cruise schedule before she leaves the fleet.... We have just left her a few days ago and even showing her age now she's still our favourite!